Active Topics

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
It'll be interesting to see what Google's move does for OEMs and WP7, that's for sure. If it inspires a switch in focus from other OEMs to WP7, what does that mean for Nokia? Can they still be the headliner in such a context?

The Following User Says Thank You to keflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by keflex View Post
It'll be interesting to see what Google's move does for OEMs and WP7, that's for sure. If it inspires a switch in focus from other OEMs to WP7, what does that mean for Nokia? Can they still be the headliner in such a context?
It doesn't appear that Windows Phone 7 has attracted anyone before, why now? Even better question: if it doesn't inspire such an unlikely switch in focus to Windows Phone 7, where would it be more likely to be focused? Is MeeGo good enough for such an attraction? WebOS? Something else?

Here's what I think is more likely: nothing changes. Do you people think that Google's promise of continued support and openness provide enough incentive, given past performance and history, combined with Google's recently stated interest to use the newly acquired plethora of patents to protect the Android platform as promised?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Javispedro the guy that brought us sdl already for n9 is trying to hack the fm radio to work, here is the thread at meego forums.
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3902

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It doesn't appear that Windows Phone 7 has attracted anyone before, why now? Even better question: if it doesn't inspire such an unlikely switch in focus to Windows Phone 7, where would it be more likely to be focused? Is MeeGo good enough for such an attraction? WebOS? Something else?

Here's what I think is more likely: nothing changes. Do you people think that Google's promise of continued support and openness provide enough incentive, given past performance and history, combined with Google's recently stated interest to use the newly acquired plethora of patents to protect the Android platform as promised?
Hmm it seems with the mango update it would actually have people MUCH more interested. I think it didn't before because it brought absolutely nothing new/fresh to the table except the fancy UI. Couple that with the OEMs pushed out phones with the bare minimum and hardware it's no wonder really.

With the improved features like their cloud based services, social integration, office 365, skydrive etc along with pushing developer relations into overdrive it should garner some interest. People I've noticed are waiting for killer hardware....Nokia should be able to do that. WebOS is such a waste of a good OS, HP doesn't even know how to get it to gain traction, it's a pity.

As for google's latest, I doubt that 'nothing' will happen. I think competing oems will diversify more, because motorola will be first in line for everything google related. This will also be the end of motoblur (thank God!!)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
^Here.....
http://www.gsmarena.com/the_nokia_n9...-news-3002.php
I was really surprised...

I haven't read, nor looked into it more closely, to 100% verify etc.
If it is the case that the fm tx has no antenna then for sure 100% it is easy to modify as you only need to solder a mere insulated piece of wire cut to size obviously for the tx frequency range.

It would not take me long to sort that mod out for sure !.

my forward looking statements(with a touch of wine):

htc fades away

samsung diversifies, less android, more bada, more windows, more low range compete in third world. samsung is all about volume and margin and commodity. fast pennies better than slow dimes, etc.

nokia and microsoft and skype capitalize on their top of food chain positions with respect to IP and down-vertical integration(office, windows xp, symbian s40, broad video and voice network) and up-vertical(maps, ms cash, live.com plus skype plus symbian users installed base)

apple starts going down from here(yeah really, no sheet)

google continues to capture apple market share making things easier and more integrated than even apple(easier to move a cloud than make clouds...)

more and more deeply integrated location based services leaves apple in the dust. they dont have their own maps.

content deals come to google mobile(music, magazines, publications)

gaming and movie deals come to microsoft mobile(xbox tie-ins, movies with drm)

manufacturer integration of whatsapp like functionality over exisiting networks(msn and gtalk) and eventual federation of msn+skype with gtalk(haha, just dreaming ) killing costly and stupid txt plans

switch to LTE based 4g by verizon in us and nokia releasing phones able to work on att/merged tmobile 4g AND verizon 4g.

so much more, but I think I am going off topic, as if that is possible in this thread

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
How silly, the 64GB differs only about 100SEK from the 16GB model. What loons will buy the 16GB with that ridiculous price difference.
coz the 64gb only comes in black

so for those who are wanting the cyan or magenta have to stick with the 16gb

so lame

Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
Hmm it seems with the mango update it would actually have people MUCH more interested. I think it didn't before because it brought absolutely nothing new/fresh to the table except the fancy UI. Couple that with the OEMs pushed out phones with the bare minimum and hardware it's no wonder really.

With the improved features like their cloud based services, social integration, office 365, skydrive etc along with pushing developer relations into overdrive it should garner some interest. People I've noticed are waiting for killer hardware....Nokia should be able to do that. WebOS is such a waste of a good OS, HP doesn't even know how to get it to gain traction, it's a pity.

As for google's latest, I doubt that 'nothing' will happen. I think competing oems will diversify more, because motorola will be first in line for everything google related. This will also be the end of motoblur (thank God!!)
u can use office 365 on android devices , it was suppose made to run on any web browser. thats it's selling point. it doesn't they google docs is better.

and manufactures did release their best phone

look at omnia 7 focus. its practically galaxy S. but its no where near it sales.

1,5m in q2 thats after nodo update and mango betas. sale decrease.

there is around 11+ wp7 models, for an average 100k,-130k per device.

sales of wp7 are as bad n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by danramos View Post

Google will protect the "Android platform" allright. But how exactly? How is Motorola IP going to protect the OS without also protecting a device that the OS runs on?

Android is out of control right now. ZTE and Huawei plan their own android markets, their own ecosystems, even their own versions of the OS, and there is nothing Google can do to prevent it. With Motorola IP and production facilities they can create their own. There is no other way they can protect their interests.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Mandibela View Post
"there isn't a way for the phone to access the transmitter as the device hasn't got a transmission antenna"

This was known to those who truly care since a while ago already. It's pretty much verified by Nokia employees who have that knowledge.
Yeah I know... I read all that ages ago...

I recall the person saying TX hardware's not there, & RX is but not supported in software. ('officially')
And I recall he/she claiming they were a Nokia employee etc.
Which is why I said I need to verify the basis for this latest story, as I doubt it's accurate.

Where is the source for that "quote" of yours?

Thanks!

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-08-16 at 08:07.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????