Active Topics

Notices

You and I appear to have duplicated efforts tonight.

I also spent a couple hours tonight working on converting pyRadio to MeeGo. The native back-end for MeeGo is actually GStreamer and MediaBox already had a GStreamer backend that ties exactly into the framework that I am already using from there for MAFW and OSSO. Once I cleaned that code of the stuff I don't use and put it on there a simple if statement allows me to switch between backends based on the device it's running on. That way same source can be used for all devices (not sure how you coded yours).

The first major problem I ran into (after converting to PySide) was that MeeGo does not have MP3 support and you are supposed to use 'fluendo' ones. I didn't want to sign up at the fluendo place, nor did I want to have to compile my own for ARM, so I went to debian here, extracted the .so file and put it in my ~/.gstreamer-0.10/plugins folder.

The app loads, loads the graphic and the stations and the song name, but then seg faults. So i went to the command line and tried playing the URL directly from pandora using
Code:
gst-launch-0.10 playbin uri=http://biglongurl
First item was the fluendo required liboil, which was in the default repositories so I installed that. Now I'm getting:
Code:
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Caught SIGSEGV accessing address 0x4e3b40e7
#0  0x40203354 in poll () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x48f24e00 in ?? () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#2  0x48f24e00 in ?? () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
Spinning.  Please run 'gdb gst-launch 3571' to continue debugging, Ctrl-C to quit, or Ctrl-\ to dump core.
The libc in there makes me wonder.. I am using the older (1 month) 'stable' release and according to the #meego-arm irc channel it's best to use the latest daily because of unknown problems. I did actually install gcc which I think updated some of those libraries so my issue may be related to having a mixture of old and new stuff, or it could be deeper than that.

Unless you want to take it over for good I'll keep looking into it tomorrow. But if you want to maintain it for MeeGo that's fine too.

(Note: MediaBox also has an mplayer backend code that would integrate right into the current system as well)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 98 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Antonio, TX
I'm not really looking for long-term maintenance (who ever is?), I was just trying to get it working in the meantime for myself and other people who were missing Pandora *now*. If you want to keep looking at fixing gstreamer support, or steal the MPlayer backend from MediaBox (does it even use AbstractBackend already? That'd be a drop-in! I feel I may have wasted a lot of my time this weekend writing one that's more buggy than not). I don't know if stealing the binary for mp3 support from debian will work, you'll probably have to compile *something*. I can maybe help with this tonight, if all it needs to work is a proper gstreamer mp3 lib. Or, I can look at what you have and see if I can debug it. Do you have the code for the MeeGo branch somewhere I can get it?

The Following User Says Thank You to rm_you For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rm_you View Post
I'm not really looking for long-term maintenance (who ever is?), I was just trying to get it working in the meantime for myself and other people who were missing Pandora *now*. If you want to keep looking at fixing gstreamer support, or steal the MPlayer backend from MediaBox (does it even use AbstractBackend already? That'd be a drop-in! I feel I may have wasted a lot of my time this weekend writing one that's more buggy than not). I don't know if stealing the binary for mp3 support from debian will work, you'll probably have to compile *something*. I can maybe help with this tonight, if all it needs to work is a proper gstreamer mp3 lib. Or, I can look at what you have and see if I can debug it. Do you have the code for the MeeGo branch somewhere I can get it?
Not currently, I can upload it, and yes - the AbstractBackend entire piece was blatantly stolen from MediaBox (props to pycage).

There is a backend for MAFW, OSSO, Gstreamer and Mplayer that all use that same framework and are drop-in replacements for eachother.

Chances are, if you got mplayer working with your mplayer binary, his drop-in mplayer backend will work perfectly. I will grab that piece as well and clean it up removing the parts pyRadio does not use like I do with all the other backends (like his logger) and package it all up tonight.

Ultimately, just like I went through the evolution of libfaac, then gstreamer, then MAFW/OSSO for the N900 and N8x0 - I am a believer that getting it to work with the standard device backend is the most 'elegant' and 'proper' approach.

There is nothing at all wrong with using mplayer, but if we can get gstreamer (which is what I was told is the sudo-'official' backend) to work that would be best I think. Whatever enhancements they do to the devices for the 'official' backends gets inherited by the radio application. Notably, being able to playback audio on the N900 while in "Silent" mode.

ETA: And yes, you saw that right: I had this entire thing working with a custom gstreamer backend at one point that I totally ripped apart when I found MediaBox's MAFW and OSSO pieces and used that instead. So I'm essentially now going backwards....

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2011-07-26 at 16:58.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Chances are, if you got mplayer working with your mplayer binary, his drop-in mplayer backend will work perfectly. I will grab that piece as well and clean it up removing the parts pyRadio does not use like I do with all the other backends (like his logger) and package it all up tonight.
Yeah, and actually mine is STILL ******edly buggy, I thought I had it fixed last night but then today when I tried to use it on 3G i realized it still had ridiculous timing issues so it's back to failing... I am looking forward to your packaged version with a real proper mplayer backend, because trying to figure out exactly how AbstractBackend works and make it interface properly with python-mplayer has been a disaster so far.

Ultimately, just like I went through the evolution of libfaac, then gstreamer, then MAFW/OSSO for the N900 and N8x0 - I am a believer that getting it to work with the standard device backend is the most 'elegant' and 'proper' approach.
I agree, and I feel like I fell into a trap (where was Admiral Ackbar when I needed him?) when I decided it'd be faster to get mplayer working than to figure out the proper way. I've spent so many hours and gotten quite a ways but still not all the way to working, whereas I feel I could probably have figured out gstreamer by now and just done that. Oh well.

Are you ever on IRC? I'm in the #harmattan channel pretty much 24/7, same nick as on here.

The Following User Says Thank You to rm_you For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rm_you View Post
Are you ever on IRC? I'm in the #harmattan channel pretty much 24/7, same nick as on here.
I used to idle in #meego and #meego-arm for a long time right after MeeGo release. I went back in there last night for my programming and have left my IRC window up.

I am only near my computer in the evenings MST though, so you'll see my name but I won't respond until evening. Feel free to send me a PM (should just be FatalSaint).

ETA: Also, keep in mind I am working in MeeGo, not Harmattan. Harmattan is the bastard byproduct of the lonely MeeGo and the neglected Maemo one-night stand.

It's MeeGo-ish, but uses DEB. MeeGo uses RPM.

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2011-07-26 at 21:35.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey Saint!

From your coding, it looks as though you're loading colors from the hildon default scheme or something.

Is there a way to change my hildon colors by command line?

I'd like too see if it's possible to have a black background like your N900 version.

Right now, I'm using the Nuevo (sp?) clear theme if that matters at all.

Peace.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Hey Saint!

From your coding, it looks as though you're loading colors from the hildon default scheme or something.

Is there a way to change my hildon colors by command line?

I'd like too see if it's possible to have a black background like your N900 version.

Right now, I'm using the Nuevo (sp?) clear theme if that matters at all.

Peace.
IIRC, and I'll double check, but I only actually use those colors for the colors of the buttons when they are pressed. I did that to make it feel more 'native' in the N900 so that when you press play or skip instead of just a bland white you get whatever the minor color is of the desktop.

I do not manually set the background colors anywhere that I can recall. Like I said I did it once and some things didn't work and I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

However, it currently looks like total trash in MeeGo, and I have no idea what it looks like it Harmattan (maybe rm_you can post a screenshot).

My intent, unless rm_you decides to package and upload pyRadio somewhere for MeeGo/Harmattan - is that once I/we get it working on MeeGo/Harmattan and changed to pySide I will actually update both Fremantle's and Diablo's version to match as well so that I am still working from the same sources.

During all this I will attempt to add my own colors to the app so that it can look somewhat consistent across the devices. Originally, I had preferred to let it look integrated into each device separately - but given how god awful it is on MeeGo I need to do something about that.

I've also contemplated totally changing it to pySide + QML.. but QML seems to require I learn JavaScript and I have tried JS 3 or 4 times from Web development up to full Java for Android.. and I just don't like it. So I dunno if I'll ever get the motivation to actually do QML.. which is a shame - I had started on a Facebook App in QML that I keep telling myself I'll get back to and never do.. but Sociality is out now and is very, very close to what I had in mind.

-- Actually, it seems I might be able to access Pyside directly from QML.. I'll need to look into it more.

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2011-07-26 at 21:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
ETA: Also, keep in mind I am working in MeeGo, not Harmattan. Harmattan is the bastard byproduct of the lonely MeeGo and the neglected Maemo one-night stand.

It's MeeGo-ish, but uses DEB. MeeGo uses RPM.
Ah, right. I guess then I could become the maintainer for the Harmattan package, if you don't ever plan on using Harmattan.

If you want to investigate QML, I could maybe help with that, but if you want to stick to PySide, that's fine too. I'll definitely help with building/packaging in the meantime though.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it looks like total trash in Harmattan as well. :P

Last edited by rm_you; 2011-07-26 at 22:05.

Most likely not since I do not see myself getting the N9 due to a lack of hardware keyboard. It's a beautiful phone.. and I bruised my head the day I saw the hands-on videos knowing that Nokia pretty much ensured it's failure before they even launched it and are determined to see it go the way of the Dodo.

The next phone I get will most likely be a MeeGo if one is ever released that has a HW keyboard - and short of that.. I really have no idea. There is nothing else I want right now .

Most likely not since I do not see myself getting the N9 due to a lack of hardware keyboard. It's a beautiful phone.. and I bruised my head the day I saw the hands-on videos knowing that Nokia pretty much ensured it's failure before they even launched it and are determined to see it go the way of the Dodo.

The next phone I get will most likely be a MeeGo if one is ever released that has a HW keyboard - and short of that.. I really have no idea. There is nothing else I want right now .
I am in the same boat, excepting that I have the N950 with hardware keyboard.

Prior to that though, was definitely looking around and being sorely disappointed in my options: G2 and... ... old phones? Nothing really in the latest generation of smartphones with a hardware keyboard.

I'll talk to you on IRC tonight and get your pyradio-x.x.tar.gz whenever you have it ready for meego, make the necessary changes for harmattan,and set it up so I can use your meego package as my upstream.

Tags
bad tags, good tags, pyradio