Active Topics

A while ago I used to access the internet from my home computer via the cell data on my cell phone (connected via USB). That was on Elisa (Finland) and worked 'just fine'.

Now I come to do something similar again, a few years later, but this time with Saunalahti.

Unfortunately, I can't get it to connect. In /var/log/messages I get "LCP terminated by peer"/etc.

Any clues?

Max.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
OS? In case of Ubuntu, look here for a solution

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1746061

Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
OS? In case of Ubuntu, look here for a solution

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1746061
Yes, Ubuntu LTS (10.04?). I'm pretty sure it used to work, so something must have been broken in an update.

Anyway, the thread you link to provides some tips that seem to improve things somewhat (specifically the rmmod/insmod instructions). It's quite dissappointing that this has stopped working, even in LTS :/

Thanks though.

Max.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
As far as I know it has not "stopped working" in 10.04. Perhaps you did an update? I mentioned it in the Ubuntu thread as well: I ditched Ubuntu and went back to the source: Debian Squeeze.

Works like a charm.

Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Perhaps you did an update?
That's possible, but I did an 'about ubuntu' and it said LTS - though I forget the actual version number. If I had done an update, wouldn't it have changed the 'about'?

Originally Posted by davidmaxwaterman View Post
That's possible, but I did an 'about ubuntu' and it said LTS - though I forget the actual version number. If I had done an update, wouldn't it have changed the 'about'?
Is there some other way to find out what version of ubuntu I'm running? I just confirmed that the 'about ubuntu' shows 10.04 LTS. If I select 'normal released' instead of just 'LTS' in 'Update Manager', it tells me that 'New Ubuntu release '10.10' is available'.
It sure seems like I'm running 10.04 LTS...

My guess is that something from 10.10 has been back ported to 10.04LTS, so both have been broken. I was hoping to avoid just this sort of thing by staying with LTS :/

The :

sudo rmmod cdc_acm
sudo modprobe cdc_acm

help it connect successfully, but it still doesn't actually work.

After the above I get the 'Mobile Broadband' in the NetworkManager Applet work as I remember[1], but it seems like there is some kind of routing problem.

I'll keep trying different things.

[edit] I should also note that I have been having trouble with Joikuspot, and the problem there seemed related to the kernel I have installed in order to overclock it ('modprobe JoikuSpot_Bouncer' works around that). I wonder if there is a similar issue. I should try it on MS Windows to see if that works and get a known working point (don't have a MS system atm :/).

Max.

[1] Though now I'm using 'Suanalahti Postpaid' instead of 'Elisa' - though both don't work.

Last edited by davidmaxwaterman; 2011-07-23 at 02:57.

Originally Posted by davidmaxwaterman View Post
The :

sudo rmmod cdc_acm
sudo modprobe cdc_acm

help it connect successfully,
I do note that if I boot with the phone connected, it works without me having to do the above.

but it still doesn't actually work.
but it still doesn't actually work - ie still a routing problem or something like that.

Aha! I have shorewall installed and running. If I /etc/init.d/shorewall stop, then it works

Awesome.

So, all I need to do is have the phone booted when I boot my computer and it'll work just fine

Good enough...

Max.