Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by pdonner View Post
Folks,

<snip>
Where is the soft keyboard?
Solved
Mapper kind of sucks.
I've got fairly quick lock ons (< 1 minute) when turning it on within 10 miles of where it was last used. It seemed to take longer if I was more than 50 miles from the last site.

Aluminum case, very pretty but not rugged.
I've now had it slide off the dash twice, two foot fall no problemo.
Mini/Micro-USB interface? Why?
Thought I read elswhere that the micro supports host mode better.
MEMORY (MY MAIN PEEVE)
----------------------
<snip>
External is only a mini or micro SD, for which I can find at most 4GB SDHC.
Yes, but I got 3 of the 4GB cards for $75, and they swap easily.

I've now "dumped" about $550 into my Christmas toy, for that I've got 14GB of storage, a BT keyboard and a kick butt Linux PDA/IT/Media viewer/VOIP/GPS that easily fits in my shirt pockets.
As long as I have wifi access:
My email downloads and I read and respond at my leisure.
I can look anything up when I want to.
When I travel I can find where I am.
MP3, video.
Now - will the next model have teleportation?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Now - will the next model have teleportation?
Please Nokia, add teleportation to the tablets. I want it.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by yerga View Post
Please Nokia, add teleportation to the tablets. I want it.
A fairly basic and distance-limited version of the familiar Higgs-Jansens teleporter should be doable. Please keep in mind the caveats:

1. A distance of 50 km is the realistic maximum and, of course,

2. only teleports between two switched-on Nokia 900s are possible. Remember people: This is not Star Trek, and without a receiver the Edge Of the Universe will be your destination...

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
A fairly basic and distance-limited version of the familiar Higgs-Jansens teleporter should be doable. Please keep in mind the caveats:

1. A distance of 50 km is the realistic maximum and, of course,

2. only teleports between two switched-on Nokia 900s are possible. Remember people: This is not Star Trek, and without a receiver the Edge Of the Universe will be your destination...
I'm sure you could create a bluetooth addon for the current tablet series. Sure, you'd need a decent compression system but definitely doable. If we calibrate the 'box' it should be fine...

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
IMHO, the best road forward vor the Itablets would be the minimalist track: Take out the GPS, the hardware keyboard, even the camera and just leave us with a platform like the 770: CPU, screen and memory.

Nokia should concentrate on giving the Itablets the best possible peripheral connectivity: Why not throw in two USB ports? Bump up the Bluetooth possibilities and, for heaven's sake, keep two SD expansion ports.

And how about making a case that incorporates a BT or USB keyboard?
Hey some neat ideas there - I'd second that on the basis of "if you can't do it well, don't do it at all"...

Got my N810, and like the OP I too feel a bit like I've been suckered by the upgrade-itis Bought the thing as soon as it was in the shop, pretty much without trying it based on hugely positive experience of the 770 (*yes mum...*, that was stupid - I see that now )

Would have been better IMHO if they'd spent the money elsewhere (making it thinner/faster/cheaper/making all those extras modular like you say, with more ports on the thing + USB host mode etc) - basically... please Nokia don't make me pay for extra bits that suck so much they might as well not be there.

I'll keep it of course - it's for-sure an improvement over my 770, but basically all the nice extras I thought I was going to have a lot of fun with/what made me think it was worth spending £300 on the thing (the so-so keyboard, apallingly bad camera, and GPS which has yet to find a single satellite/never worked on mine ) aren't actually of much use - and I've basically come to the conclusion that a slightly beefed-up, shinier 770 isn't worth that price to me - I should've just stuck with the 770 until it was too slow for most websites or whatever (having just-about-watchable YouTube capability doesn't swing it either I'm afraid - was expecting more there too...) and got whatever was the latest-and-greatest then...

Tell your friends folks, hold out for a good discount (like say around the original price of the 770 ~£200 or something) and you won't be disappointed

Last edited by dsmudger; 2007-12-07 at 13:25.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by peterjb31 View Post
I'm sure you could create a bluetooth addon for the current tablet series. Sure, you'd need a decent compression system but definitely doable. If we calibrate the 'box' it should be fine...
See? Whenever someone uses "compression", I just know they're thinking of that Star Trek misnomer. The Higgs-Jansens Teleporter doesn't use compression (gawd, I'm getting so tired explaining this; doesn't anyone use the search function anymore?), as it doesn't transmit information about teleported objects, but rather the objects themselves, albeit in a slightly dimensionally warped state. It's in the faq, people! Don't make me start all over about the zero-inertia field and macro-de-dimensionising at c.

The main problem with the current N-series, is that the battery is slightly underpowered for teleportation tasks. It might be possible to shoehorn a subcompact M/AM cell in the compartiment, but frankly I wouldn't want to be the one testing out the jury-rigged 5 Gw connection to the USB port. And don't forget that an external adapter will inevitably create a slightly lopsided Higgs field, because of the positioning of the lasers. I don't know about you, but I like to arrive with all my parts still attached...

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
When you eventually try it can you upload some pictures, I'd be really interested in the results. In case something goes wrong could you get someone else to photo it.

Originally Posted by peterjb31 View Post
When you eventually try it can you upload some pictures, I'd be really interested in the results. In case something goes wrong could you get someone else to photo it.
So. Not much of a beta tester, eh?

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Francisco
My take on the N810 vs. the N800: http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2007/12/...-n810-vs-n800/

I love the camera on the N810 (and N800) - there's nothing quite like making a video call anytime/anywhere over an HSDPA connection via Bluetooth!

As for the built-in GPS it takes a while to lock on, but it tracks fine even when I'm driving 70 mph down the freeway with my N810 propped in front of my car's instrument cluster - it's definitely better than the one in my N95...

I just can't figure out how to get directions using use the maps application. I don't need turn-by-turn instructions - just a route will do.

Last edited by tnkgrl; 2007-12-07 at 20:53.

Originally Posted by tnkgrl View Post
My take on the N810 vs. the N800: http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2007/12/...-n810-vs-n800/

I love the camera on the N810 (and N800) - there's nothing quite like making a video call anytime/anywhere over an HSDPA connection via Bluetooth!

As for the built-in GPS it takes a while to lock on, but it tracks fine even when I'm driving 70 mph down the freeway with my N810 propped in front of my car's instrument cluster - it's definitely better than the one in my N95...

I just can't figure out how to get directions using use the maps application. I don't need turn-by-turn instructions - just a route will do.

That part will take money I'm afraid. Maemo mapper can show a route though.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.