Active Topics

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
@dan It does seem like the folks that are *in charge* are dead set on staying Maemo/'MeeGo only. Despite the fact that Maemo is dead, and MeeGo handset UI is dead. Instead of broadening the appeal to more people (and maybe picking up some new blood in the process for Maemo/MeeGo) they'd rather keep it niche.

Thanks for all the great comments dan.

*off topic* which got me thinking, if Maemo is so open, why aren't there more devices running it (say even an old x86 notebook)? If MeeGo is so open, why was the handset UI dropped? Couldn't our community pick it up and keep working on it, and still be under the MeeGo name? How many fully tweaked and customized ROM's are there for Maemo (1? powerkernel)?

On the other hand, the evil more closed than Maemo/MeeGo, how dare you call it open, Android get put on more devices every day. Any mainstream (even a lot of not so mainstream) devices have multiple ROMs available, and a lot of devices have even been upgraded to versions beyond which the manufacturers support. Heck, from what I've read Android on the N900 is now nearly fully functional (hopefully soon to be released).

Technical licensing, jargon, bs aside, which OS seems more open?

*on topic* I keep waiting for a new 7" tablet to be released. It seems like there are several good options out there, but nothing actually in the wild yet. Last I heard, the Huawei MediaPad is looking at an October release (but nothing has been decided on firmware upgrades for it).

I'd love to get my hands on a Asus Memo, but there doesn't seem to be much recent info out there for it.

Generally "lemmyslender" is odd enough that if you see it on any other boards, it's most likely me.
Len Palmer on facebook, following droid fans

A google+ invite would be appreciated.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I'd get happily a google+ invite too, thanks a lot. On facebook, I'm Ernesto de Bernardis.

@Danramos, where are you out of here? Twitter? Facebook? XDA?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I'd get happily a google+ invite too, thanks a lot. On facebook, I'm Ernesto de Bernardis.

@Danramos, where are you out of here? Twitter? Facebook? XDA?
I added you on Facebook.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
I'm Thomas Christiansen or http://www.facebook.com/railroadmaster on facebook.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
@H3llb0und

Google+ invite!?! Please!

Thanks
Sno
Send me a PM with your gmail address

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
I'm Thomas Christiansen or http://www.facebook.com/railroadmaster on facebook.
Just added you on FB.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Just upgraded to the new 1.3 version of netflix on my vibrant running a 2.3.4 rom. Just for fun copied it over to my s7 running 2.2.

It actually worked! (previous versions did not). Much happier watching on a 7" screen.

Just thought I'd pass along the new version may work on more devices than officially listed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
I'll keep mostly reading updates to this thread and following Maemo/Meego evolution.

Any of you in Facebook or Google+ ?
I have invites for Google+ if any of you wants in, and I am starting to invite all my friends there too
Ditto--I'm on both (not surprisingly, you can find me with the name Dan Ramos.. and the same avatar image on both). I'll invite anybody that wants 'em. Feel free to add me to your circles or whatnot.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Just upgraded to the new 1.3 version of netflix on my vibrant running a 2.3.4 rom. Just for fun copied it over to my s7 running 2.2.

It actually worked! (previous versions did not). Much happier watching on a 7" screen.

Just thought I'd pass along the new version may work on more devices than officially listed.
Ironically, I had already been running it on my Droid LONG before they put it on the list. I think you just need any 2.x version of Android that has the DRM libraries (some 2.2, and I think all 2.3 versions). So I'm SURE there are a LOT more devices it will work on than advertised.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Ironically, I had already been running it on my Droid LONG before they put it on the list. I think you just need any 2.x version of Android that has the DRM libraries (some 2.2, and I think all 2.3 versions). So I'm SURE there are a LOT more devices it will work on than advertised.
I believe you are correct, all? 2.3 versions work.

For my S7, as far as I know, Huawei released several different versions of 2.2 for different countries (none for the USA to date). Of those multiple versions, Netflix only worked on the Brazilian version. I had downloaded several prior versions of Netflix (from xda, etc) and none had worked on the rom I was using for my S7. It was a heavily modified version which included several new things from the Slim rom (framework stuff).

Netflix must have changed something regarding the DRM libraries (or checks?) as the prior versions didn't work on the S7 and the 1.3 does (without changing anything else on the S7). Fired up the prior version, crashed out before playing the movie, installed the new version over the old one, movies now play.

Perhaps a lot more of the 2.2 versions will work now? Old version I had was 5.4MB, new version 7MB. Perhaps the libraries are (partially) included? Just saying if you have a 2.2 device that it didn't work on, it may be worth trying the 1.3 version.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy