Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?
Poll Options
Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?

Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Anybody has tried to make this working via USB networking via laptop/PC and N900?

Thanks.
hey now that's something I want to try. If anyone's got any ideas on how to go about doing this, please share!

Meantime I'll add this to the todo list

Edit: I found this: http://wiki.maemo.org/USB_networking...rking_for_N900
I'll have a proper look at it in the morning.

Last edited by tetris11_; 2011-07-15 at 23:57.

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
If the camera streaming works with the USB-networking, this would be great for my webcamless laptop.

webcam does currently work on PhoneStreamer, but only on linux and only if you have the v4l2loopback drivers.

Couldn't you just use that method?

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by tetris11_ View Post
Yeah the spycam doesn't work with windows. But it's working with linux right?
No. I can see camera output only on n900, not on Desktop. Tested on Mandriva 2010.02 and Suse.

@tetris: i am trying to use ur app with my macbook and just can't get it to work ... i am able to ping both ways but cannot send files using the app.. i wonder what could be wrong .. even running sdp file (after manual transfer) doesnt work... could there be any osx specific settings on vlc that am ignoring ?

thanks in advance !

webcam does currently work on PhoneStreamer, but only on linux and only if you have the v4l2loopback drivers.

Couldn't you just use that method?
I tried v4l2loopback method, but failed at networking point. Where I am right now, the connection sucks, I can barely connect to the internet (except a few low-load hours). Plus probably I cant pass beyond firewalls to make wifi networking working. I was wondering the USB-networking option would be most reliable if I can make it working.

Did you make any progress setting it up?

Thanks.

You can also add you todo list bluetooth network based streaming. Wi-fi seems a bit out of option for me as I will describe below.

Here, I describe my failure steps -- with hope to get some help to figure out the connection issue:

1-) Get PhoneStream installed through the app manager

2-) Brought the app, then filled IP and port. I did "ifconfig" on my Fedora 14 laptop and get the value from wlan0 section. I arbitrarily chose "1234" for the port.

3-) Type selected as video clicked Webcam as to option and back camera as source and 640x480 as size. Hit stream. It told me to generate a new script, I did by clicking show/debug console. Then hit send script to Linux, after putting my user : pass it sent the file successfully to my laptop desktop. So far so good.

4-) First run that transferred file in my laptop:

sh n900Webvideo.sh
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

Hah, thought root might resolve this:

sudo sh n900Webvideo.sh
[sudo] password for gsever:
WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no element "v4l2loopback"

Still something was missing. A couple days ago I had installed this v4l2loopback related things. I guess typing the following lines set the stage up for streaming:

sudo modprobe v4l2loopback

Back again:

sh n900Webvideo.sh
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...

No error sign this time (was hoping that it should be up) But testing from Cheese Webcam Booth, I see a big no device found sign. No life beat in skype either. Though /dev/video0 is there.

5-) Later switching to HTTP(VLC) option, and putting these numbers into "Open Network Stream" window in VLC still fails with:

main error: connection failed: No route to host
access_mms error: cannot connect to 172.XX.X.235:1234
main error: open of `http://172.XX.X.235:1234' failed: (null)

I tried 80 as port number but to no avail. I suppose that these ports are blocked in the wireless network I am in or something else. Probably because of this I can't stream the video as a webcam to my laptop.

Any ideas about how to chose an open port here? Alternative options?

Thanks

sorry I've been a bit distracted this week

@gsever - I haven't looked at USB networking really yet. I'll add it to the todo list and I'll have another look at it today, but no promises.

As for the v4l2loopback problem, try rebuilding the module using these instructions:http://www.kudanai.com/2010/11/howto...webcam-in.html

and then try it again and tell me what happens.

Also the HTTP method is a known issue, and is mostly an unstable method. Im working on it.

@lethalgene - I have absolutely zero experience when it comes to Mac OS. I really wish I could help you but I don't know how. As I recall the sdp method worked for a previous OSX user (see post #243), but the sdp method relies on succesfully sending the file through ssh not manually (an error I have fixed but not released yet. stay tuned for an update).

@AngryMasterYoda - sorry I completely forgot that X11 forwarding is not default on n900 (N900 bug)!
To enable X11 forwarding, do the following on your phone:
install libxmuu1- 'sudo apt-get install libxmuu1'
install xauth- https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2494

then try it again and get back to me

Last edited by tetris11_; 2011-07-19 at 14:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow, Russia
@AngryMasterYoda - sorry I completely forgot that X11 forwarding is not default on n900 (N900 bug)!
To enable X11 forwarding, do the following on your phone:
install libxmuu1- 'sudo apt-get install libxmuu1'
install xauth- https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2494

then try it again and get back to me
Now it works (on Linux). Windows I shall check up tonight.

Tags
gstreamer, lets rock, video stream