Active Topics

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Confederatio Helvetica
I think I know what the reason for not giving us the update is. We're gonna receive Flash 11 support right away, as soon as it gets out!

Now please, let someone open "Adobe Flash Player 11: When will the update arrive? Is it coming at all? " thread and we'll keep discussing there.

The Following User Says Thank You to rentze For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
The N900 NPAPI plugin could be ported to fennec*, & then a harmattan twkflash could be made for the N9.
no, because Fremantle and Harmattan aren't binary compatible (softfp/hardfp). the N900's flash plugin won't work, even if fennec's plugin API might support it.

(btw, none of us can "port" a closed binary. we can only copy it, but it simply won't run.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Does anyone know whether the 25sec pausing stuff in the recently leaked version is a bug or a feature (ie intentional)?

I loaded it into IDA 6.1 and it does a lot of stuff different than the previous leak as far as i can tell.

i'd pretty happy with it if i could kill that 25sec limit (works well at 1ghz)...i'm looking into it but don't hold your breath, my reverse engineering roots are win32 driver stuff, so I'm not really at home

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to casketizer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
1) attila is the author of tweakflash.
2) tweakflash modifies the already available flash plugin for maemo 5. since there won't be a plugin shipped with harmattan, there won't be any tweakflash for harmattan. simple.
3) Adobe's binary on Harmattan would almost certainly be signed, which means if tweakflash touches it, it would no longer load, rendering the whole approach useless.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
no, because Fremantle and Harmattan aren't binary compatible (softfp/hardfp). the N900's flash plugin won't work, even if fennec's plugin API might support it.

(btw, none of us can "port" a closed binary. we can only copy it, but it simply won't run.)
Sorry I meant "use", not "port".
Ah of course, I forgot about the new ARM optimisations that've been done for harmatten.

Perhaps there's some way we can disassemble the flash binary & recompile for hardfp?
Wishful thinking I know, but one can dream...

Or just get the binary re-licensed to be used on n9, & hence properly recompiled for harmattan!
It's an ancient version of flash, so I can't imagine adobe asking for much!?!

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
3) Adobe's binary on Harmattan would almost certainly be signed, which means if tweakflash touches it, it would no longer load, rendering the whole approach useless.
Did you have this same issue with adobe's binary on fremantle?
Or did adobe not sign their binary?
Why not, & why would they do it for a harmattan binary?

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-13 at 09:56.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Did you have this same issue with adobe's binary on fremantle?
Or did adobe not sign their binary?
Why not, & why would they do it for a harmattan binary?
Maemo 5 does not support DRM, whereas Harmattan does. There will be an "official" DRM-enabled mode, for which adobe's binary would need to be signed, and a developer, DRM-disabled mode, in which none of the signed binaries will run. missing DRM was a major reason why many software houses didn't release apps for Maemo 5.

AFAIK, it's a one way ticket - once you change the N9 into developer mode, you won't be able to reenable DRM ever again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Ever again? At least flashing the original firmware should bring back DRM mode.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_security
http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...ry/000010.html

Last edited by DeeGee; 2011-07-13 at 11:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to DeeGee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Ever again? At least flashing the original firmware should bring back DRM mode.
AFAIK, no. that may of course have changed, but i haven't read anything in that regard yet.
sorry, i can't find the source or quote where it was confirmed that you can't switch between the modes. i believe qgil said it somewhere on t.m.o.

that's old information, from the maemo summit 2009 (!), and much speculation. (open mode may presumably be revoked)

this meego dev just confirms that harmattan will have 2 modes of operation, not that it'll be possible to switch.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
I can't understand why you couldn't re-enable the drm mode? That would require that something in the hardware itself "breaks" when you change into the open mode?

The Following User Says Thank You to DeeGee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
I can't understand why you couldn't re-enable the drm mode? That would require that something in the hardware itself "breaks" when you change into the open mode?
i assume the N9 has some kind of TPM Chip for the DRM Mode, which will be irrevocably disabled once you switch to developer mode. (or the certificates it holds)

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update