Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
For a guy that owned over 40 nokia phones you behave very immature, childish. You are NOT looking for a solution to the problem. Running around here and crying "pre Elop" I'm not even sure why you here. But since you don't like the thread and the immuture and hatefull poeple, I expect that you leave this thread and maybe the whole forum?
Join the nokia salesforce or board, perhaps then you will know the real problems and solutions

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
In the words of Jobs: "there is an app for that!!!!"

An app might help him find the rabbit hole
do you think there is an App to put ppl on the ignore list, too?

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
do you think there is an App to put ppl on the ignore list, too?
You don't need apps, this is the internet But then again, you could always get a S40 with web-apps

BigBadGuber and ericsson are the progeny of abill_uk.

Good luck with the Nokia shares, hope you are prepared, if not, here's a hint.

http://www.holytaco.com/25-awsome-homeless-guy-signs/

Originally Posted by Enterprise Mobility: 10 Mobile Products Nobody Wants
link
It hard to select any one Windows Phone 7-based mobile device that's most unpopular with consumers and enterprise users. That's because none of the products are selling well, and speculation abounds that Windows Phone 7 might be dead before it even gets going. The issues with Windows Phone 7 are numerous, including issues with updating, multitasking and more. Microsoft is promising big things in its upcoming Mango update, but will it be too late?
the wp7 snippet is the... 7th
right after that (8th, thus)...

Originally Posted by Enterprise Mobility: 10 Mobile Products Nobody Wants
The Nokia N9 isn't even out yet and it's already clear that people around the globe just aren't all that excited about it. For one, the N9 is based on MeeGo, a Linux-based operating system that most consumers have never even heard of. Plus, Nokia's other smartphones continue to have trouble appealing to customers that are more intrigued by Apple's iPhone or various Android models. The Nokia N9 might just be dead on arrival.
great job Flop!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
you seem to have a hard time keeping things apart.
m$ may be dominant in the PC market.
in the mobile phone market... >/nul
granted, you are not the only one making this mistake
  • The point I was making was that Nokia needed Microsoft a bit more than Microsoft needed Nokia. Prior to Feb 11th, WP7 was the bright young thing of Mobile, but Symbian was seen as the dinosaur stuck in the tar lake. If there was any disparity in the deal, it would not surprise me that Nokia had to give up a bit more than they'd have liked.

At the end of the day, I don't think either party came out the loser - they both entered into a win-win agreement.

Incidentally, I am a loyal and current Symbian user day-to-day and will continue to be so until something better (for me) comes along. That may be WP7.5 or something else; unlike you I have an open mind.

"why push the wp message if there is such a brand loyality & customers don't care what OS it is running, as long as there is NOKIA standing on it?

you are contradicting yourself in a single post
try keeping them shorter, maybe?"

• No, I stated that customers are largely oblivious of what OS is on their device, NOT that they don't know what they like in the way a device works. Brand loyalty goes a long way, but if you see all your friends enjoying a better mobile experience that loyalty is tested.

More than ever before, users are seeking easy-to-use and engaging devices and Nokia felt Symbian could not deliver that long-term.

We can see that Meego/Harmattan can deliver that experience, but Nokia decided that developing an ecosystem to include apps and services to compete effectively with Android and iOS within a reasonable timescale and at acceptable cost was just not as attractive as joining Microsoft and other manufacturers to combine their forces.

So no - it doesn't matter which OS Nokia adopted so long as it delivers customer delight and has a strong ecosystem around it.

Of course WP does not have all of that yet, but the building blocks of Zune, X-Box, Office aand other services are already there; how could the Meego option deliver all that within time and reasonable cost?

"just because they changed the name from mobile to portable doesn't make it a new product; it is still the same old buggy software that hasn't been able to gain any significant market share in over 10 years. during those 10 years, NOKIA single handedly created the smart phone & had a de facto monopoly 'til the competition got around to it too. but not m$, nope.
and it is not by lack of companies having tried, neither;
two years before NOKIA made this mistake LG entered an "exclusive" agreement w/ m$ according to which LG is still supposed to have 50 (fifty) wm (then) devices in its assortment by 2012;
a couple months ago, LG jumped onto the MeeGo bandwagon. and m$ may deem itself lucky if LG has even only 5 wp devices next year."

• Are you really saying that WP7 is the same as 6.5 in terms of UI and UX? Have you had your head in the sand of late? Have you not read the weight of opinion from expert industry commentators as far apart as Rafe Blandford from All About Symbian to Myriam Joire at Engadget?

Windows Phone 7 or even 7.5 might not suit you. It might not suit me - I still have reservations about my ability to live with it as it's described, but it is pretty much universally praised for its UI and UX.

The underlying OS may well be buggy - it is new and has not yet had its first major update.

And what point are you trying to make about LG? Do you really think there is any linkage between their deal with Microsoft and Nokia's?

That was then; this is now.

"bottom line being that the m$ is the winner & NOKIA is losing any chance to survive once wp has confirmed yet again it has no market appeal.
well, considering the "loyality"as you say, respectively, the situation of most dumb phone markets world wide, they may still recover making & selling S40 devices where infrastructure for "smart phones" (3/4G mostly) is simply not available."

• Understand this: If Nokia do fail at WP, Microsoft probably will as well. No other manufacturer is in a position to take on WP like Nokia are - they are all firmly committed to Android. And do you really believe any of them would want to take on WP if Nokia fail?

It is in Microsoft's best interests to work with Nokia and the other WP7 manufacturers to ensure its success. And as you are so keen to use your $ key in relation to Microsoft, you can be assured they'll be throwing millions of $'s to make this work.

As you will know, mobile is the future of computing, and Microsoft need this to work.

Nokia and MS are mutually tied to the future of WP as principal partners. Other manufacturers are needed to help build the ecosystem and offer diverse WP products in the market - that is one of the attractions for Nokia: by partnering with other mfrs they can help build a third ecosystem, and that has to be good for competition and therefore good for the end user.

That is why they have contributed elements like Nokia Maps; this will be a major asset to owning a WP device just like it is to owning a Nokia right now. As more devices come to market from all the manufacturers and traction build, more app developers will be attracted to develop for the growing market.

It's the old saying:

"you have to speculate to accumulate"

The Following User Says Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Eerily ponderous... just eerie. Just need to replace the Apple logo with NOKIA...

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Eerily ponderous... just eerie. Just need to replace the Apple logo with NOKIA...

Why would you replace the logo? Apple is Elop's new patient.
Start a new thread about Apple

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
  • The point I was making was that Nokia needed Microsoft a bit more than Microsoft needed Nokia. Prior to Feb 11th, WP7 was the bright young thing of Mobile, but Symbian was seen as the dinosaur stuck in the tar lake. If there was any disparity in the deal, it would not surprise me that Nokia had to give up a bit more than they'd have liked.

At the end of the day, I don't think either party came out the loser - they both entered into a win-win agreement.

Incidentally, I am a loyal and current Symbian user day-to-day and will continue to be so until something better (for me) comes along. That may be WP7.5 or something else; unlike you I have an open mind.

"why push the wp message if there is such a brand loyality & customers don't care what OS it is running, as long as there is NOKIA standing on it?

you are contradicting yourself in a single post
try keeping them shorter, maybe?"

• No, I stated that customers are largely oblivious of what OS is on their device, NOT that they don't know what they like in the way a device works. Brand loyalty goes a long way, but if you see all your friends enjoying a better mobile experience that loyalty is tested.

More than ever before, users are seeking easy-to-use and engaging devices and Nokia felt Symbian could not deliver that long-term.

We can see that Meego/Harmattan can deliver that experience, but Nokia decided that developing an ecosystem to include apps and services to compete effectively with Android and iOS within a reasonable timescale and at acceptable cost was just not as attractive as joining Microsoft and other manufacturers to combine their forces.

So no - it doesn't matter which OS Nokia adopted so long as it delivers customer delight and has a strong ecosystem around it.

Of course WP does not have all of that yet, but the building blocks of Zune, X-Box, Office aand other services are already there; how could the Meego option deliver all that within time and reasonable cost?

"just because they changed the name from mobile to portable doesn't make it a new product; it is still the same old buggy software that hasn't been able to gain any significant market share in over 10 years. during those 10 years, NOKIA single handedly created the smart phone & had a de facto monopoly 'til the competition got around to it too. but not m$, nope.
and it is not by lack of companies having tried, neither;
two years before NOKIA made this mistake LG entered an "exclusive" agreement w/ m$ according to which LG is still supposed to have 50 (fifty) wm (then) devices in its assortment by 2012;
a couple months ago, LG jumped onto the MeeGo bandwagon. and m$ may deem itself lucky if LG has even only 5 wp devices next year."

• Are you really saying that WP7 is the same as 6.5 in terms of UI and UX? Have you had your head in the sand of late? Have you not read the weight of opinion from expert industry commentators as far apart as Rafe Blandford from All About Symbian to Myriam Joire at Engadget?

Windows Phone 7 or even 7.5 might not suit you. It might not suit me - I still have reservations about my ability to live with it as it's described, but it is pretty much universally praised for its UI and UX.

The underlying OS may well be buggy - it is new and has not yet had its first major update.

And what point are you trying to make about LG? Do you really think there is any linkage between their deal with Microsoft and Nokia's?

That was then; this is now.

"bottom line being that the m$ is the winner & NOKIA is losing any chance to survive once wp has confirmed yet again it has no market appeal.
well, considering the "loyality"as you say, respectively, the situation of most dumb phone markets world wide, they may still recover making & selling S40 devices where infrastructure for "smart phones" (3/4G mostly) is simply not available."

• Understand this: If Nokia do fail at WP, Microsoft probably will as well. No other manufacturer is in a position to take on WP like Nokia are - they are all firmly committed to Android. And do you really believe any of them would want to take on WP if Nokia fail?

It is in Microsoft's best interests to work with Nokia and the other WP7 manufacturers to ensure its success. And as you are so keen to use your $ key in relation to Microsoft, you can be assured they'll be throwing millions of $'s to make this work.

As you will know, mobile is the future of computing, and Microsoft need this to work.

Nokia and MS are mutually tied to the future of WP as principal partners. Other manufacturers are needed to help build the ecosystem and offer diverse WP products in the market - that is one of the attractions for Nokia: by partnering with other mfrs they can help build a third ecosystem, and that has to be good for competition and therefore good for the end user.

That is why they have contributed elements like Nokia Maps; this will be a major asset to owning a WP device just like it is to owning a Nokia right now. As more devices come to market from all the manufacturers and traction build, more app developers will be attracted to develop for the growing market.

It's the old saying:

"you have to speculate to accumulate"
Yes, that is probably what they speculated. It is that, however what most of us here (and most of the stock traders) believe is not gonna work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Even by my standards, this thread is now TL; DR.

Tags
balmer was here, e6 rox, elop rox, elop snopp, elop's fool, the elop flop