Active Topics

Is there any way to use PCAnywhere on the N810?

Doubtable as PCA is a windows application. VNC on the other hand was one of my most used apps on my 770. I'm hoping someone with better skills than I takes an interest in porting it to '08. PLEASE PLEASE....

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
VNC has been done, it works on 2008. Several recent posts about it.

The other app to consider is rdesktop.

The Following User Says Thank You to technut For This Useful Post:
There is a VNC viewer out for OS2008, it's on garage.maemo.org. I would so link it to you but at this writing, the whole maemo site seems to be down.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karwee For This Useful Post:
try logmein.com

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Miami & London
LogMeIn will display your PC desktop, but the entire screen refreshes after every tap and text must be entered in a dedicated box. For my purposes it is unuseable, but please mention if anyone has found a way to configure it to behave more like a conventional remote control application.

I recall that LogMeIn had announced a version for Palm's cancelled Foleo device. This suggests that they have a reasonably sophisticated Linux client designed, if not fully written.

To my knowledge GoToMyPC will not work because it requires Java.

Last edited by sparkling; 2007-12-05 at 15:33.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by smammon View Post
Doubtable as PCA is a windows application. VNC on the other hand was one of my most used apps on my 770. I'm hoping someone with better skills than I takes an interest in porting it to '08. PLEASE PLEASE....

Actually PCA is also a linux app, Its had linux support for a few years. The problem though, is that the it is a Symantec application, so it will not be able to be ported to Nokia unless Symantec does it which is highly unlikely

Originally Posted by technut View Post
VNC has been done, it works on 2008. Several recent posts about it.

The other app to consider is rdesktop.
Excellent! I hadn't noticed it yet! Thanks!

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Do VNC or RDesktop let you connect over the internet, or just within the same network? They seem to be missing a place to enter a Network DNS only host DNS.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Miami & London
I have not tried RDesktop but VNC certainly allows connections via the Internet.