Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm game.

- Will Nokia's condition improve within the next 12 months?
I sincerely doubt it, even if they turned around and started doing everything right, I think it's too late. It's like trying to slow a down-hill run-away car back after it's been gaining months of speed heading downhill and then trying to push it back up to the top.
- Will Elop be credited to sink or safe Nokia within the next 12 months?
Yes, I'm certain he'll be credited with sinking this ruined company--he already has been. I can't see how he can be credit with anything but turning Nokia into his next ruined Kin project.
- Will there be any MeeGo* devices from Nokia past N950/N9?
I'm convinced that there won't be, sadly.
- Will Nokia be bought out by another company? (if yes, by whom)
Probably yes, most likely by Microsoft since it appears to me as if there's a barely discrete effort to undermine the existing and legacy workforce, products and services, stock, brand and morale.
Mark my words. I've been pretty good with predictions so far.

pretty much agree w/ your answers.
one thing that has been irking me since it 1st came up is the idea that m@ke$$h!t would want to go hardware...
considering the company's standards, the only way they can thrive is with software; patching hardware is way too expensive and considering the condition of NOKIA right now, it would be Steve Balmer's Rover adventure, no matter how low the shares get.

thus, my answer to 4-:
DeLL or HP, (PC) hardware companies that have been trying to enter the smart device market for some time now.
or, like the Rover brand, some Chinese manufacturer.

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
It will not be the last Linux based phone from Nokia, here's one of the first hints:https://twitter.com/#%21/klasstrom/s...05439988662272
did i miss something?
the N900 is factually still supported, as good as it can be. :|
as long as TMO keeps running & one can download software for the N900, both from TMO & OVI, it's fair to say NOKIA still supports the N900, as much as its predecessors.

so, where is the... N10, N960 or whatever?

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
He starting to look to me like a football club manager brought in to turn a football club round but as the opposite effect and the club Board eventually get so fed up with the poor results he gets fired.
Excellent allegory. I have been thinking the same with a specific case in mind.

Finnish football fans surely remember Stuart Baxter, the former manager for our national team. Just like Elop, he was also a good talker which bought him a lot of extra time as a manager despite the dreadful results. In the end he managed to destroy Finnish national team for years to come.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
- Will Nokia's condition improve within the next 12 months?
- Will Elop be credited to sink or safe Nokia within the next 12 months?
- Will there be any MeeGo* devices from Nokia past N950/N9?
- Will Nokia be bought out by another company? (if yes, by whom)
I really don't care if Nokia makes tons of money for their investors or not. As a consumer, all that matters to me is; do they make devices I want. The reality is that in the last 3-4 years Nokia has been the only company that has made anything worth having. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
one thing that has been irking me since it 1st came up is the idea that m@ke$$h!t would want to go hardware...
considering the company's standards, the only way they can thrive is with software; patching hardware is way too expensive
Oh, you're talking about m@ke$$h!t, at first glance I thought you were talking about Microsoft, because then I was thinking, "If Microsoft didn't want to go hardware, who's been doing all those over-the-net patches to my Xbox 360?" My bad.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Well if nokia release wp7 with the same specs as the n9... i.e. with 2 year old hardware spec as against samsung's omnia 7 release, it will be funny if nothing else.

The Following User Says Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
Well if nokia release wp7 with the same specs as the n9... i.e. with 2 year old hardware spec as against samsung's omnia 7 release, it will be funny if nothing else.
IIRC, Microsoft DEMANDS MSM/QSD armv7 running at 1GHz minimum - something the OMAP3630 isn't.

Oh, and no swipe UI for WP7 users - messing with UI experience is definitely off-limits, no matter how many times you get in bed with MS.
Now only, if the Windows team enforced the "no messing with UX" policy from WP7. Should get rid of a lot of crappily-designed apps.

Yes - all the opinions of the experts concur; WP Metro UI is an attractive and engaging UI and Mango will deliver enough functionality for the masses. MS do appear to have got it right. Past performance is no indicator of future potential.
That's interesting because in case of Symbian/Maemo/Meego I keep hearing the exact opposite reasoning, and this is even in the face of N9, which proves it has not only undefined future potential.

Nokia Maps is a huge asset to Windows Phone. Offline maps with 3D effect, voice guidance, good routing (generally) and full auto-rerouting. Nokia Maps integrates with other services on the device and is free.

I was initially surprised at Nokia's decision to contribute Maps to the OS, thus allowing other Mfrs to take advantage of a unique Nokia feature, but how much is 'Maps by Nokia' on every WP device by every manufacturer worth in marketing $'s?

Which brings us back to the main question. What exactly Nokia gets from this huge transfer to MS (and it's not only OviMaps) besides non-exclusive right (or obligation?) to purchase OS that no customer is actually buying, but it has potential experts say?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to umo120 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by umo120 View Post
That's interesting because in case of Symbian/Maemo/Meego I keep hearing the exact opposite reasoning, and this is even in the face of N9, which proves it has not only undefined future potential.

Which brings us back to the main question. What exactly Nokia gets from this huge transfer to MS (and it's not only OviMaps) besides non-exclusive right (or obligation?) to purchase OS that no customer is actually buying, but it has potential experts say?
Why so paranoid? Google "gives away" an entire OS for "free", maps, mail and all kinds of online services. Nokia has for several years now worked on developing an OS (several in fact) that is open source and free. So suddenly letting MS use Ovi Maps is the end of the world as we know it? I mean, please - you are not thinking straight, not at all. The only value of Ovi Maps is people using it, more users means more money for Nokia. Ovi Maps is hell of a lot better than anything Google has managed to cook together, so WP using Ovi Maps is a net gain for both Nokia and MS, but mostly for Nokia.

Nokia and MS cannot be understood without understanding the concept of ecosystem.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Why so paranoid? Google "gives away" an entire OS for "free", maps, mail and all kinds of online services. Nokia has for several years now worked on developing an OS (several in fact) that is open source and free. So suddenly letting MS use Ovi Maps is the end of the world as we know it? I mean, please - you are not thinking straight, not at all. The only value of Ovi Maps is people using it, more users means more money for Nokia. Ovi Maps is hell of a lot better than anything Google has managed to cook together, so WP using Ovi Maps is a net gain for both Nokia and MS, but mostly for Nokia.

Nokia and MS cannot be understood without understanding the concept of ecosystem.
It's not a gain for Nokia. Having Ovi Maps on other WP7 devices is a gain for MS and other manufacturers. What will force an HTC fan to buy a Nokia WP7 when he will ge the wanted service on an HTC phone with a larger screen for instance? Nokia will lose phone sales while others will gain. Nokia won't be able to differentiate its products with no free lifetime Ovi Maps exclusivity.

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:

Tags
balmer was here, e6 rox, elop rox, elop snopp, elop's fool, the elop flop