Wow.. about 2x as heavy as an N800, but not much bigger, with awesome multimedia capabilities. 2x the price of an N800, but this certainly seems like the year of the tablet device...

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products...ech_specs.html

Oh, and WiFi looks like a Giant USB dongle... blech! :-P
-Dan

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
Cowon's video ability is amazing. Looks really good - much better than Archos, or N770 at least (dont have a n800).
I have an A2 and I think it is worth having a dedicated video player for communting etc. if thats what you want to do. One of the most useful features on Cowons is zoom on the fly while you are watching video so you can see the movie even bigger (when cropping is Ok). I wanted to watch video on my 770 but sadly it doesn't compare. (love both of these machines though).

Give that thing Linux and a slide-out keyboard and it would smoke the N810 and actually be worth twice as much.

7-hrs video playback. 60GB storage. 600MHz. Wow. This thing deserves a real OS.

I ordered one, I'll report back when I get it.

I think the dongle is a mistake, I am guessing that is supposed to demonstrate the usb host capabilities but they put a dongle instead of a flash drive there. It says wifi is "integrated."

I am surprised they only go to 60gigs though. That is way behind the competition.

My first ever mp3 player was made by Cowon back in 2002. Sadly, the flash got corrupted, and now it crashes during playback.

Cowon actually sells a bunch of different version of the Q5 in Korea, though it seems the main difference is in the apps and add-ons bundled with the thing. There's a "students" version with a Korean-English dictionary, and a "navigation" version with a gps docking station for the car.

The price is a bit steep, imho. We have a similar gadget (7 inch display) pmp/navigator for our car for about 70% of the price of the Q5.

I was tempted to use it on my commute to work, until I realized how much I hate WinCE. So now instead I'm waiting for my N800 to arrive from Europe by mail.

[edit:] Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the Korean version support DMB, which is basically free digital TV over the air. The quality is ok, though a little too compressed for my ears and eyes. But it's good for watching live sports while you're at work.

Last edited by baeksu; 2007-11-30 at 08:07.

Damn the Koreans for showing us that we've got TV all wrong. Sports are the perfect use for compressed OTA signals, and portable devices are the perfect medium for those signals. They seemed to have achieved both in no time, with few growing pains and without insanely expensive technologies.

My Cowon iAudio X5 MP3 player is a very well-built device with amazing features (despite getting a defective one), so I'd definately consider a UMPC from them. They need to work on their physical interfaces though.

Got the Q5w yesterday. Sure is a sweet device. Movies look fantastic, plays divx flawlessly. Web surfing is pretty speedy, maybe faster than the 810, and more satisfying than the Archos 605. But no bluetooth DUN. Haven't tried the word processing on it.

Without a keyboard, I don't see it as a replacement for my 810. I will probably just use it as a media player. As far as the 800, you can really notice the weight difference. It could be a replacement for the 800 if you usually do just a couple mins of quick browsing at a time. Longer sessions and you'll miss the 800.

Strangely, the Q5w does not come with a case or sleeve of any kind.