Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?
Poll Options
Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?

It's not a rootsh problem. What that package does, is adding "sudo gainroot"/"root" to sudoers file, not "sudo X".
If you wanna exploit rootsh, you must do this:
"echo 'COMMAND TO LAUNCH WITH ROOT PRIVS' | root"

If you wanna do it in a proper way, you have to copy YOUR sudoers file into /etc/sudoers.d dir which enables "sudo ifconfig" to be run without asking for password.

'Defaults env_keep+=GTK_MODULES
user ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL'
Is added by package easy-chroot, and will enable any sudo command for any user to be run without asking for password. If you wanna "exploit" it, add easy-chroot into deps, but it's not a so smart idea imo.

Another hint, touching /etc/sudoers file directly is a REAAAALY bad idea, never do it, or you may brick your sudoers. A good way is to add a file into sudoers.d dir and run "update-sudoers" as root after doing it.

About my ssh -X: if I don't add that option the ssh command fail since there is no X window forwarding. I'll wait for your script, cheers.

The Following User Says Thank You to gionni88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by tetris11_ View Post
The solution (I havent confirmed with AngryMasterYoda yet) is to check your /etc/sudoers file and see if the line:

'Defaults env_keep+=GTK_MODULES
user ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL'
Yes, now n900 shows me ip-address (http://192.168.1.X:9000), but VLC says: "VLC is unable to open the MRL 'http://192.168.1.X:9000'.".

Hmm... Waiting for another solution.

PS I think that "user ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL" isn't right. Maybe restrict it only for PhoneStream?

The Following User Says Thank You to Angry Master Yoda For This Useful Post:
I'm just ordinary user with not much Linux skills but I would like this feature to work for my babysitting. My phone should watch my son during his afternoon nap and I could watch him on downstairs Win-pc and my phonecalls may be redirected. I bought babycam but it's crap. I believe that my home wifi network is better, my N900 is very good peace of hardware and you guys supporting maemo forum are best!

So If I understand right, all I need is to install easy-chroot ?

No don't! gionni88 and AngryMasterYoda are right - it's a really bad way doing it. Sorry guys, the sudoers file is fairly new ground for me.

I'll release an update by Saturday that uses gioni88's method of exploiting rootsh directly. Hopefully have the ncurses (spycam) version working with it too.

Bear with me for now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 136 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Finland
I was just wondering, wouldn't it be simpler, if the the phonestreamer was kinda "waiting" for a connection from outside source, instead of pushing the stream to a target IP address?

eg. instead of:

1. Type the IP address of the desktop PC, choose a port (any number really)
Select either "Video" or "Audio" from the top menu

3. Choose VLC
4. Hit Stream and follow instructions

you would use it like this:

N900 phonestreamer
1. phones IP address is shown in the IP field, Port field can be filled by user
2. select eg. VLC as the streaming option

On desktop
3. start VLC
4. point VLC to the phone ipaddress:port that you were shown in step 1.

desktop accesses the stream on n900

this would get around most firewall / nat issues, as the desktop PC is initiating the connection, instead of the n900 blindly streaming to an ip:port address

Last edited by mooglez; 2011-06-30 at 10:04.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by tetris11_ View Post
I'll release an update by Saturday that uses gioni88's method of exploiting rootsh directly.
Let's look into /etc/sudoers.d/ - IMHO it's simple.

And what about my post above?

@mooglez - I agree, and that is essentially what the ncurses version of the app does, but pulling the stream to a PC desktop is a process that only works easily between linux machines via ssh. I wouldn't know how to pull a stream to a windows PC from the phone without some kind additional software for the PC (cywin, putty, etc). At least this way, all the fiddly bits are on the phone.

@Angry Master Yoda - there's no need to edit /etc/sudoers.d/ because that seems to just update /etc/sudoers which we did already. Also, the phone seems to be finding your ip address so I thought the issue was solved.....
Hmm... if you're on linux, stream phone and open VLC from a shell:
'cvlc http://192.168.1.X:9000', and tell me what messages it prints.

@AngryMasterYoda - Okay, I just randomly experienced the same problem as you: all the correct config and nothing.

I didn't realise how unstable the last release was. I'm going to bring back the old VLC (sdp generating) method as an added option for those who still want it, and I'm gonna bring back audio too.

Stay tuned for a release on Saturday evening/night.

The Following User Says Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
Trying to use phonestreamer for the first time from N900 to VLC 1.1.10 on Windows. I get a
"VLC is unable to open the MRL 'http://192.168.2.101:9000'. Check the log for details."
on VLC log and another one on phonestreamer:
"Open VLC:
Media-->Open Network Sream...Type in:
http://:9000"
I can ping from N900 to Windows IP and vice-versa.
What am I possibly missing?

Update coimng soon should fix that problem. Please just wait 2-3 days.

Tags
gstreamer, lets rock, video stream