Active Topics

Notices

hi everyone, so i bought an N900 and i am so happy you guys are here to help me through it, i hope you guys do. I have been trying forever to install fonts on it, i installed that font changer, and theme customizer too, but i want that "zekton" font on it, it's the first time i am using a linux device, so i am unfamiliar with those commands, i tried naming a folder with a "." but it said unable to make a folder starting with it, now what do i do? i installed cantarrel through the app manager, i wish it was like that too, can something be done about it? how can i install zekton to my phone? why is it so complicated? please help me out here

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
read this

http://wiki.maemo.org/Hebrew

It might give you an idea about where to load the fonts.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
First of all: Welcome!
Don't be upset, it is just a phone!
Secondly: Do not think about it as complicated, because it is different... And do not expect the device to change for you. It is linux, it is different and you better try to pick up as much and as often as possible.

Now: There are two ways to get your fonts into the system.
The graphical way: Install filebox file manager from the extras repository. It shows you the real file-system of the device while the in-build Hildon File Manager cripples your file system to internal card and external card. Both these cards are formatted vfat or fat32. These cards are mounted to /home/user/MyDocs and /media/mmc1.
With filebox you are able to browse to /home/user, where you might create the folder .fonts/ and put your fonts into it.

The Terminal way: Assuming you have downloaded and extracted your font to the N900 card. Open X-Terminal application,
Code:
mkdir .fonts
mv MyDocs/*.ttf .fonts/
Adapt the path please if your download location differs. Or ask again

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Hah, I remember when I figured that one out. I was wondering how the hell you install new fonts in Maemo5 then I realized it's exactly like my desktop! Just drop a ttf file into .fonts and you're good.

FYI, the Ubuntu family font is great for the general interface font.

thank you guys, everyone, but i have tried what you said, i am kinda scared to download a file manager and it corrupting the system, and i tried going to that maemo extras through the app manager, but the list couldn't be refreshed, it's PR1.3 and it said the url isn't valid or something, can it be done from the app manager by simply downloading it from there? like the nokia pure text? can it be uploaded so that we can download it from there?

and i don't have a card for the N900, it has 32 gigs of memory which i thought was more than enough, so i never got another card for storage, i tried making the folder but it wouldn't allow me to, the terminal way seems a bit easier though... any ideas?

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by jafferkhan View Post
the terminal way seems a bit easier though... any ideas?
Yes. My idea is: try the instructions kindly provided by michaaa62

Suggest changing the 'mv' to a 'cp' so you don't move any font files which happen to exist in MyDocs, but instead copy them.

So:
  1. Copy zekton.ttf font file onto the N900's internal memory (so it will appear in MyDocs)
  2. Open terminal, and type in the following one line at a time:
Code:
mkdir .fonts
cp MyDocs/*.ttf .fonts
fc-cache -f
Done.

Ask good (detailed) questions if you have trouble with any step of the process. For instance, you could ask: how do I get the font file into MyDocs to begin with in order to copy it to the newly created .fonts directory?

...or some other question. Start small, ask good questions, post screenshots where possible, stay patient (i.e. don't get "really upset!") and people will help you.

Edit: Thanks pillum for font cache rebuild

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-06-29 at 15:02.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
just a caution:

some fonts that I installed affects even MicroB fonts which makes it a little bit unreadable.... so make sure you choose the fonts that don't

Cheers
Malaysian N900 user!!!

i moved the font through mass storage, however wen i use the file manager i cannot see the font, should i continue with the commands or what? it won't ruin the system or anything would it? how would i revert back to the original font?

instead of .ttf should it be replaced by the font name or just .ttf?