Active Topics

I'm with the OP,Why not

hmm pink, blue or black....

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
N9 and the "obvious" choice:
http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/...bvious-choice/

Some my friends told me that you should buy a Galaxy while the others said that I can not trust google. I don't know why but maybe they had a reason ...
EDIT:Looks like that the Nokia N9 is designed to exactly replace the N97 Mini!

Last edited by govprog; 2011-06-23 at 11:56.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I like the pied piper post, but it's obvious Elop is a Pied piper wannabee and MeeGo is part of his strategy for now.

What really needs to happen is MeeGo needs to break away from Nokia. Maybe it will happen.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
What really needs to happen is MeeGo needs to break away from Nokia. Maybe it will happen.
MeeGo is already it's own entity outside of Nokia. Nokia contributes to MeeGo, not define it. I'm quite sure Intel would have a lot to say about that.

Nokia does define Harmattan.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mece View Post
To the people worried about N9 not being sold in your country:

The availability list on the web is for the Nokia online shop. Nokia UK online shop (and others) closes June 30 (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...ne-shop-966300) so that's why it's not listed there. It's not a list of all countries it will be released in.
Thanks for the News... I am soooooooooooooooo wanting to own the N9 in India!!! I will be able to get it right? My N900 is less than a year old now bcos it came late to India

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Won't be getting one.

Anybody can see that Elop only benefits from that purchase. It's a great deal for him.
1) Put out a "geek" phone (because you were obligated to)
2) Don't support it (it's open source, let the community support it)
3) Mark it up for 100%, 150% (because there's a whole lot of geeks that will buy it at any price, because of principals)
4) Profit!

As many have pointed out, Elop wins no matter what. Buy it (and get all your friends to as well) to show him how popular it is? He controls the inventory. If it gets too popular, they'll stop making it, to keep sales numbers low. Community support for the next 5 years? He won't care, they're not paying for it. Buying it only makes Nokia and Elop richer, it doesn't strike a blow or show support for anything. It just shows how you're willing to pay through the nose for an obsolete device.

I understand and believe open source is the best for everyone. But, after buying (and loving) my N900, I won't make that mistake again. If you want to support open source, find a company that it putting out and supporting a quality product and support that company. Don't "support" a sub par device from a company that fully intends to leave it stillborn and without any meaningful support.

Why is everyone so eager to settle when it comes to open source? Why should you overlook basic flaws, poor decisions, lack of features, just because it's open source? Is it because you can theoretically fix these problems yourself? But, after paying top dollar, why should you have to fix basic stuff yourself? Would you buy a phone/tablet that came with hardware, some driver blobs, and documentation? Wouldn't that be the ultimate open source device?

At any rate, put your money into supporting a company that believes in and supports open source devices/software. Help show that companies that do that can be profitable. Why support a company that is only going to take your money and laugh all the way to the bank? Why support a business model that says:

Look no matter how bad we screw them each time, they still keep coming back and throwing money at us. Minimal investment compared to other devices, minimal support costs, high profit margin. Everyone should get in on this scam. Call it open source, skimp on everything else, and there's still a small group willing to buy it. Plus it's good PR and cheaper than real advertising.

And no, I don't know any good companies to get behind. I just think it's pretty silly to buy a ticket on the Titanic as it's going down just to prove a point to some faceless corporation that will completely miss the point, or more likely mis-interpret the point.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Won't be getting one.

Anybody can see that Elop only benefits from that purchase. It's a great deal for him.
1) Put out a "geek" phone (because you were obligated to)
2) Don't support it (it's open source, let the community support it)
3) Mark it up for 100%, 150% (because there's a whole lot of geeks that will buy it at any price, because of principals)
4) Profit!
or
1) in house most exprienced engineers demand it to be released
2) Elop has to sabotage
3) get shareholders to think meego == nogo
4) bff with ms

I really don't get the comment cbbtri but the comic strip was funny and weird in a way.

To answer the question; no N9 for me.
N950 -- is a maybe, because it is a beta/development device.
If these were released last year the answer would've been "FU CK YEA"

Major gripes:
-no qwerty/gamepad (hehe)
-I dislike side-edge-to-screen swiping because it means no protective case
-Also means its accident prone for doodling apps/swiping apps (like fruit ninja or Swype)
-I prefer the UX from WebOS or MIUI
-There is less development from community as opposed to WebOS/Android (afaik)
-Nokia has promised for abandonement

... so Android is most likely to suceed Maemo5 for me, but I will keep an open mind.

Hell yes I would.

That model works beautifully for notebook/netbook/desktop computers. I only wish handsets worked the same way.

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Would you buy a phone/tablet that came with hardware, some driver blobs, and documentation? Wouldn't that be the ultimate open source device?

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
no customisable screen?? i can compromise with the keyboard but not with the screen then it is not for me
i will stay with my n900

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

Tags
nokia_n9, repeatedhistory