Active Topics

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
swipe.nokia.com has 15k "likes" already, that's pretty damn good for 24 hrs!
it was at 3k last night.
lol at public perception measured by likes

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:
I disconnect from the forum last night and I didn't want to get online to early because I didn't want to wait by the phone/tablet/pc/n900 for the pics and specs of the N9.

Let me know if I get it right:
1) The N9 is A PHONE. Not a tablet?
2) The N950 is NOT A TABLET, just same N9 with hwkb and also it will not be available for sell to users?
3) THIS IS THEIR HOPE FOR KILLING ANDROID/IPHONE for the moment until the realese their WinPhone 7?
4) So... NO REAL N900 SUCCESSOR?

If all the questions above are true... I will have to take care very very well my N900 for like 2 more years and see if someone make any similiar...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JorgeFX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
My views, for anyone that cares. The N9 is the N900 for the consumer. For some of us it doesnt feel like a progression. so lets stop pretending it does.

I wanted a pocket computer in my pocket not what the N9 represents. the lack of desktop is my biggest loss. i can see myself getting annoyed very quickly with swiping every 10 seconds to do things.

currently hitting a blank background space takes me back, and one of four desktops has all the info i need without opening any apps. as much as i dislike android, i am now considering it for this very reason.

also do not understand this minimalism thing. no hardware buttons? really? the n900 was a pain in the butt for phone calls and now we must slowly swipe the screen to bring up the mini menu and hit phone?

of course i will wait to see how much customisation is possible when its out but this whole episode has been quite disappointing. which is not nokias fault but ours. many of us stayed away from android etc because we wanted a n900 successor and this we did not get.

oh and lastly symbian anna is butt ugly. the rounded squares just remind me of apple and thats def not a good thing.
i will now buy a new n900 and see what other meego devices are released (LG?).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Either you can have a fat phone with replacable battery and keyboard, and large MP camera, or a thin one without. It can either be affordable or have the best hardware.
Some of you people are going to complain no matter what, Nokia knew this too. They tried to bring something out that would please the most people, which obviously isn't going to be a bunch of geeks. Nokia isn't in the position to be catering to us at the moment!
On the other hand, I don't really have a problem with this n9. We haven't even *tried* to look at how we can customize the UI or the keyboard or anything else yet. Thanks to Apple we don't really need flash either. ugh. No point trying to convince some of you, already made up your mind based on some prototype shots of the UI and some crazy expectations of a phone that has support lasting into the next decade even though you will want a new one in 2 years...

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Wow talk about a strawman arguments...

It seems YOU also have made up your mind and nothing will convince you otherwise too - shrug.

Lol "catering to geeks" - I need a HWKB for the same reason BlackBerries have a hwkb - for typing out lots of emails. What is "geeky" about that ?

And having support more then 1 year is "crazy expectations" for support ? Who said anything about the next decade ? Hyperbole much ?

Flash not required ? maybe for you, but I use it daily for media streams on my phone. If I buy this phone I lose access - no thanks.

You like the phone fine - all the people are doing here is saying this is not the phone for them and so they will not buy it - I think you should have the courtesy not to be condescending, stereotype and put other people down just because they have a different opinion to you.

Either you can have a fat phone with replacable battery and keyboard, and large MP camera, or a thin one without. It can either be affordable or have the best hardware.
Some of you people are going to complain no matter what, Nokia knew this too. They tried to bring something out that would please the most people, which obviously isn't going to be a bunch of geeks. Nokia isn't in the position to be catering to us at the moment!
On the other hand, I don't really have a problem with this n9. We haven't even *tried* to look at how we can customize the UI or the keyboard or anything else yet. Thanks to Apple we don't really need flash either. ugh. No point trying to convince some of you, already made up your mind based on some prototype shots of the UI and some crazy expectations of a phone that has support lasting into the next decade even though you will want a new one in 2 years...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
I'll buy one, if costs like $100 or less. Maybe that's their disruptivion plan, selling something that would suck for the conventionally high price of nokia phones for the price of cheap phones.

Then those famed Nokia factories could finally start cranking up a motherload of phones, overrun the market, and maybe even cure cancer, who knows.

...like that's even going to happen. I'm not buying this thing unless it goes for truly cheap prices. That's all it'll be worth, anyways.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Either you can have a fat phone with replacable battery and keyboard, and large MP camera, or a thin one without. It can either be affordable or have the best hardware..
Last time I checked, SGS2 was one of the thinnest phones you can get (thinner than N9) with the best hardware (you know the specs right?) and a replaceable battery that is larger than the N9's. (with longer advertised runtime than the N9 as well) Also, the price of the phone might be similar. So..........

I am also pro-N9 as it's something unique. But really, you can't knock the guys who think it's crap as in some ways, it it is true. (well, relatively speaking) N8 released last year has HDMI out. Now N9 in mid-2011 does not? It also has a GPU which is slower than the N8's GPU afaik. It really has a hardware that should have been released this time last year at latest.

The UI demo video Nokia conversations put up already shows that the N9 isn't buttery smooth when it's running a few apps. (no idea why he decided to demo it while it clearly was looking sluggish) The N9 I had yesterday was visibly smoother. But yeah, I didn't have as many apps opened.

All I can hope for now is that this N9 becomes hugely successful and Nokia decides to take another stab at it with a class-leading hardware.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=ericsson;1035477]I'm still not sure what you are saying, but aren't you confusing Nokia PR with blogging noise? It is not Nokias fault or responsibility that every word Elop say is twisted and then repeated infinitely by bloggers who have some pubic hate/love relationship with every commercial entity that produce consumer electronics.

I am actually not. It is the disruptive part, the secrecy part, and that was all Nokia (and for a change, it actually created hype). Heck, even after announcement they try to convince us that this is a phone of firsts (and really, besides the UI, it's not - far away from it). But yes, we do tend to get carried away with rumors, I'll take that.

>I started giving up all hopes for Maemo/MeeGo, but Nokia actually has pulled it off. They have created a perfect consumer device based Harmattan. The N9 is a big victory for Maemo and Nokia. Now, be happy

I can't. I expected more. After two years, and in it's last iteration, I demand more. But that's just me.

I'm happy for the people that worked on it and can now see that they have done a great job and created an appealing phone for the masses. But coming from an N800, I can't erase all those years of using an NIT. This is no NIT, and it should have been.

IMO, the N9 is not a big victory for Nokia, but just another sign they have no clue what they're doing (or rather, they know exactly what they're doing on the way to WP7). But let's leave it at that, our opinions differ. I'll try to be happy, I promise

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
in my opinion, what nokia is heralding as some kind of great new thing(swipe) has been there for a while in webos
It's right there on your N900...

Last night I was wondering that if I do lose my N900, I would be in big trouble... having no great replacement. Maybe, I should buy and keep an N900 before they all get sold out. Heh.

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????