Active Topics

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
The funny thing is to see people complaning that N9 will lack support... on the MAEMO forum! Same place where the N900 when released was considered experimental, with almost no support, and everybody wanted it - and made it worth by their own hands.

MeeGo is not dead in Nokia, just had some budget cut. We can mostly expect a new MeeGo (or at least a "disrupting") device per year, the same way it was with Maemo. And now it's part of the MeeGo platform, that have more leverage, so we are not only depending on Nokia for that.

And of course, it is, like the N900, expected to be a community driven device. It's linux, open source, so all the Maemo and MeeGo devs will eventually turn their heads to it and fill the gaps and provide apps. And it's a much more confortable position that before: the device is competitive, doesn't lack any core technology or integration, is more finished than the N900, with mouch more consumer appeal. With Qt and you guys porting the N900 apps to it, it's easily well covered. 90% of the core smartphone usage (or more) is already built-in (facebook, twitter, email, maps) so it works well out of the box.

Last edited by Verythrax; 2011-06-21 at 17:59.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Verythrax For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
Phew! Thanks for that. Any chance of a link?
man, it's buried somewhere in this thread or the antecipation one, shortly after the announcement. It's from someone pointing the qwerty usage at mark 1:21 :P

EDIT Found it: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=7068

I've spent all morning looking - can't find this answer anywhere on the web.

Does anyone know if it has landscape qwerty? I've seen a thousand video clips of messaging with one hand using the portrait qwerty. Looks a little tight for my fat fingers - I'm hoping that a landscape keybaord appears when you turn the thing, but I can't find anyone doing that anywhere.

Does anyone know?

@Zehjotkah: you seem to know about this... what's the deal, and what about this haptic feedback we heard so much about. Jakiman says it's just like an iPhone keyboard from his Twitter feed.
Only if the application supports landscape of course, but that seems to be the case with all the messaging apps. The portrait keyboard is also easier than it looks like.

Keys give a very satisfying click-like feedback, but there is probably no fancy new technology behind it.

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kruppin View Post
Yes, it got all those things, except the GPU? How can it be double? Even if it now has alittle higher clockspeed doesn't make it double as good. And it still is a old SGX530 from 2005, so it's made in 90nm, and got almost no hd capabilities,
Originally Posted by Dragoss91 View Post
It has the same GPU , and the N900 CPU can run very well at 1 ghz , even at 1150 , let's say the n9 cpu could go to 1.5ghz so here is the "double power" , but what about GPU ?

For those too lazy to get the TI spec sheets, I would look at this thread for hints: http://talk.maemo.org/archive/index.php/t-58968.html

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post

the sdk just preps all that for you in a nice package, but using build-essentials on-device is still possible, no?
since meego is OSS, the ARM headers and -dev packages are available, aren't they?

the meego wiki is only talking about its OBS based infrastructure, but i imagine that development .deb packages for harmattan will be made available, if they aren't already?
Already available. If you get your ARM -dev packages from http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/Introduction.html (prolly could just apt it after adding the proper sources). As said, I don't think much about the argument that source/dev repositories should be on and active by default and force X million users to pull extra megs on a daily basis just so that someone could apt-get install build-essentials by default. That's not even nerdcool. That's plain lazy.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
About the fm transmitter/ receiver.

In the N900 the hardware part was the bt chip. and the fm receiver was never promoted.

so it could be possible, the bt chip in the N9 is still capable of fm transmitter/receiver but there is just no software for it.

and yea i will buy the N9 anyway
Let's hope you are right there. Nokia do have a habit of adding these easter eggs in their handsets. Remember the Accelerometer in the N95 too?

Anyhoo, I could echo many of the gripes that have been already posted and still add that it looks like I will be using the N900 for a while yet.

However, with the processor and the gpu not being dramatically different from the N900, I would be very exited to see how the NITDroid team take to the device? Ok the fono still needs to be worked on, but with the increase of RAM and CPU upgrade, it could be a very smooth device.

Maybe this could also be the device that we see Cordia-to-handset project grow on, who knows? (That I would love to see tbh)

It would have been nice to have all of the latest bells and whistles inside the handset, but what there is could also be called "Proven Technology" in a pretty shell. Lets hope they add more details for a Euro and US release

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Caracas - Miami - Caracas
Elop wants to kill MeeGo and Symbian because he is Canadian and he holds a patriotic/economic national interest alliance to Canada and the U.S.

So he infiltrated into Nokia (dont know how), and killed MeeGo and Symbian, the two greatest operating systems (European made), and wants to insert the Windows (U.S) operating system in the European market.

He follows an agenda to kill Nokia. Therefore, he kills 1 of the 2 giants of Europe (the other being Samsung from Holland) and help both the U.S. and Canada completely take over the European market (Android, Windows, Blackberry, U.S, U.S, Canadian).

The money flows to North America, and Nokia (Scandinavian) looses money and market.

That guy Elop is not just a threat to Nokia, he is a threat to Europe's Economy.

I am not a geek in computers (would love to have your IT knowledge guys) but I do know about businesses. That guy Elop is a key player to take down the giant Nokia, and Europeans should not allow that.

Alberto Torres (former Meego/Maemo leader fired by Elop) was the biggest threat to Android, Apple, Windows, and Blackberry. Since he wanted to take nokia to the open source point of view. Take phones beyond their capabilities. He experimented with the N900 which is an amazing phone, but did not have a easy (1 button) interface, and that was the downside because the vast majority of users are not geeks. Torres fixed that by creating improving the MaeMo 5 and MeeGo was born, a friendly easy to manage interface (great for non geek people) and also a open source operating system (linux). When Microsoft and North American companies realized that Nokia finally build that type of fantastic Operating system, somehow they brainwashed the Nokia owners and Elop (Canadian) was hired by Nokia, and he killed Symbian and MeeGo. Torres must really hate that Elop guy. Elop is taking down nokia, and Europe.

Operating systems move hundreds of billions every year. Decisions made by Elop are backed up by national and regional interests. Nokia should fired that Elop guy and hire again Mr. Torres (the best human resource Nokia had).

Elop will try very hard to sabotage the N9. That is for sure.

www.businessinsider.com/nokia-reorg-2011-2

Last edited by Eduardo; 2011-06-21 at 18:18.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eduardo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
The funny thing is to see people complaning that N9 will lack support... on the MAEMO forum! Same place where the N900 when released was considered experimental, with almost no support, and everybody wanted it.

MeeGo is not dead in Nokia, just had some budget cut. We can mostly expect a new MeeGo (or at least a "disrupting" device per year, the same way it was with Maemo. And now it's part of the MeeGo platform, that have more leverage, so we are not only depending on Nokia for that.

And of course, it is, like the N900, expected to be a community driven device. It's linux, open source, so all the Maemo and MeeGo devs will eventually turn their hads to it and fill the gaps and provide apps. And it's a much more confortable position that before: the device is competitive, doesn't lack any core technology or integration, is more finished than the N900, with mouch more consumer appeal. With Qt and you guys porting the N900 apps to it, it's easily well covered. 90% of the core smartphone usage (or more) is already built-in (facebook, twitter, email, maps) so it works well out of the box.
I agree, There's a lot of people throwing their toys out of the cot, didn't they get rid of this frustration after PR1.3?!

Let's face it, in 2011 the mobile device landscape is changing. To me, the N9 looks like a mini tablet, and that's the direction we're heading in folks, like it or not. Sure, Nokia could've satisfied our wishes a little more with better hardware, but *at least* this thing got made! And it's full of delicious MeeGo, albeit "special MeeGo"!

It does look good, and I'm all for it. My only reservation was the kb, but it looks like it has one I can work with so....I'll just put this $700 somewhere safe.

It does look good, and I'm all for it. My only reservation was the kb, but it looks like it has one I can work with so....I'll just put this $700 somewhere safe.
Good thing I decided to make a loan for some personal needs 1 grand bigger than necessary, just in case I needed some extra cash

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post
Elop wants to kill MeeGo and Symbian because he is Canadian and he holds a patriotic/economic national interest alliance to Canada and the U.S.

So he infiltrated into Nokia (dont know how), and killed MeeGo and Symbian, the two greatest operating systems (European made), and wants to insert the Windows (U.S) operating system in the European market.

He follows an agenda to kill Nokia. Therefore, he kills 1 of the 2 giants of Europe (the other being Samsung from Holland) and help both the U.S. and Canada completely take over the European market (Android, Windows, Blackberry, U.S, U.S, Canadian).

The money flows to North America, and Nokia (Scandinavian) looses money and market.

That guy Elop is not just a threat to Nokia, he is a threat to Europe's Economy.

I am not a geek in computers (would love to have your IT knowledge guys) but I do know about businesses. That guy Elop is a key player to take down the giant Nokia, and Europeans should not allow that.

Alberto Torres (former Meego/Maemo leader fired by Elop) was the biggest threat to Android, Apple, Windows, and Blackberry. Since he wanted to take nokia to the open source point of view. Take phones beyond their capabilities. He experimented with the N900 which is an amazing phone, but did not have a easy (1 button) interface, and that was the downside because the vast majority of users are not geeks. Torres fixed that by creating improving the MaeMo 5 and MeeGo was born, a friendly easy to manage interface (great for non geek people) and also a open source operating system (linux). When Microsoft and North American companies realized that Nokia finally build that type of fantastic Operating system, somehow they brainwashed the Nokia owners and Elop (Canadian) was hired by Nokia, and he killed Symbian and MeeGo. Torres must really hate that Elop guy. Elop is taking down nokia, and Europe.

Operating systems move hundreds of billions very year. Decisions made by Elop are backed up by national and regional interests. Nokia should fired that Elop guy and hire again Mr. Torres (the best human resource Nokia had).

Elop will try very hard to sabotage the N9. That is for sure.

www.businessinsider.com/nokia-reorg-2011-2
And he will FAIL....

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
The funny thing is to see people complaning that N9 will lack support... on the MAEMO forum! Same place where the N900 when released was considered experimental, with almost no support, and everybody wanted it.
It's not exactly the complaints against support from Nokia that people are stating, nor complaints against support from this forum (or Meego.com). It's complaints against support from other vendors, including Adobe (Flash player), Skype (Microsoft owns them now), et al. Vendor support, while not exactly important to your typical TMO dweller, it is important if the N9 were to make it to a new version, new iteration... consumer penetration is a must at this time for this OS to stand a chance of keeping a R&D budget past 2013.

MeeGo is not dead in Nokia, just had some budget cut. We can mostly expect a new MeeGo (or at least a "disrupting" device per year, the same way it was with Maemo. And now it's part of the MeeGo platform, that have more leverage, so we are not only depending on Nokia for that.
Dead? No. Dwindling? Yes. That last one concerns me...

And folks with clear memories remember that we were shut out of the closed bits of the OS that were not updated, fixed or worked around. And to have it happen again so soon would be tragic.

Ok, I'm done... keep up the good work thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????