Active Topics

Notices

I just uploaded version 2.6.0 to extras-devel and Windows version to Mediafire. See first post for changelog and link to Windows version.

The Following User Says Thank You to orava For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Has Mapsi a feature that shows the route you have been moving, displaying the route as a red line? I've been using mapsi as very useful gps tool in fishing and especially trolling (uistelu). It would be very helpful if mapsi would show the route you have been moving so that you could steer the boat slightly different route at the next "round". I've used the latest version 2.6.0 and previous one. Or, if this feature does already exists, please tell me how to use it, thanks... And by the way, nautical maps is more than welcome, especially with windows version! I owe you a pint or two, orava..

Hi all,

I'm having problems installing Mapsi. I downloaded the 2.6.0 version and it installed itself fine (I had already installed the earlier version as well). Now when I open it, I just get a purple screen with the grey arrows on top of that... What am I doing wrong? Could someone post step-by-step instructions on how to get Mapsi going for a not-so-advanced-technology-user like me.

Thank you in advance!

Originally Posted by MaukkaPee View Post
Hi all,

I'm having problems installing Mapsi. I downloaded the 2.6.0 version and it installed itself fine (I had already installed the earlier version as well). Now when I open it, I just get a purple screen with the grey arrows on top of that... What am I doing wrong? Could someone post step-by-step instructions on how to get Mapsi going for a not-so-advanced-technology-user like me.

Thank you in advance!
At first run Mapsi starts in offline mode so no map tiles are downloaded and you'll only see purple screen and some buttons. When you click the button(the grey half circle) on the left side of the screen, a menu with more buttons will pop-up. Tapping the button with two arrows will enable online mode. Now map tiles should be downloaded when you try to move around on the map.

Originally Posted by fin2cv View Post
Has Mapsi a feature that shows the route you have been moving, displaying the route as a red line?
It has a feature that can show the route you've been moving but the route is not drawn as a line but as a dots (because there isn't easy way to draw lines in QML). You can enable it by pressing the button with line ending to a red circle(5th or 6th button from the top). If you press and hold that button it'll open menu from where you can save or clear your track.

Originally Posted by orava View Post
At first run Mapsi starts in offline mode so no map tiles are downloaded and you'll only see purple screen and some buttons. When you click the button(the grey half circle) on the left side of the screen, a menu with more buttons will pop-up. Tapping the button with two arrows will enable online mode. Now map tiles should be downloaded when you try to move around on the map.
Perfect, now I got it working and spent an hour checking out the lake's depth where my cottage is, cool! This will be very useful for me, e.g., when going fishing...

There are also a couple of features that I don't understand yet. What are the two last map options in the menu? Also, on the display on the top center, where the coordinates are given, on the left side there's this line with red and green balloon endings. When I press that, it says "calculating route", but nothing happens?

Sorry that I'm asking these obvious questions, but as I see this app pretty useful, I'd like to take full advantage of its features.

Edit:
Yeah ok, I learnt the function of those two last map options when combining info in this thread, but as said, instructions with some screen shots would be awesome. Anyways, thanks for the great app, can't wait to take my n900 to the sea now!

Last edited by MaukkaPee; 2011-06-21 at 11:37.

Originally Posted by orava View Post
It has a feature that can show the route you've been moving but the route is not drawn as a line but as a dots (because there isn't easy way to draw lines in QML). You can enable it by pressing the button with line ending to a red circle(5th or 6th button from the top). If you press and hold that button it'll open menu from where you can save or clear your track.
Okay, first I didn't find out that there are more than visible four circles in that particular menu. Little bit of scrolling and the right circle appears magically Thanks for advise and again for the great application!

Originally Posted by MaukkaPee View Post
Also, on the display on the top center, where the coordinates are given, on the left side there's this line with red and green balloon endings. When I press that, it says "calculating route", but nothing happens?
It should calculate route from your GPS position to position you've selected but it indeed seems not to be working at the latest version. I'll fix that to the next version.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Your app is requested for N9 http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74154
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Is there, by any chance, any way to use laptop as bigger screen for mapsi and N900? The idea would be to use this combination as a navigation/map screen (chartplotter) when sailing.