Active Topics

Originally Posted by zonk0r View Post
also - does anyone know, in the browser, what happens with swiping? i liked my boomarks coming from the side etc. .. does this still happen?
No, you have top sites and can add shortcuts to the home screen. Simple but I find it perfectly sufficient, as there is good URL suggestion too.

on the plus side, device is very attractive - but adobe flash, not a youtube player.. is a deal breaker for me.. full desktop experience is a must!
YouTube can serve HTML5 videos, and the experience is excellent. Flash for videos is horrible on mobiles, and its only justification is that seeing something is (usually) better than seeing nothing.

Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
It's both - a standalone Accuweather app that also feeds it's information into the Events view. Similar to the Associated Press View that also can feed information to the Events view. Or the RSS Feed reader app or any 3rd-party apps that can send stuff into the feeds...
Thanks Peter, that actually sounds really cool then. So long as the notifications and events don't clutter and remains highly organized then it is a win.

I will really think hard about this phone. I may just buy it to support MeeGo in the end, my current phone is the N900 but I did have a Dell Venue Pro running WP7 which is now bricked ... boy these are expensive toys.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Sounds like we have a discrepancy:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devic...cations/N9-00/

Search on GPS and only A-GPS is referenced.
it says "GPS Features - A-GPS“ is the meaning of you got a gps chip and in addition it has the „special feature“ of assisted gps.

The Following User Says Thank You to zymo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Ah, okay. Let's see.

- No front-facing buttons, intuitive swipe UI.

The list could go on, but I think your claim has been sufficiently refuted. The duel between the iPhone and the N9 will be a worthy one. N9 is lacking the apps (and possibly future), but is clearly superior in many other regards.
Kanishou, thanks for all the info. I'm especially glad that browsing is good, even better than N900 you say. Excellent.

About your list, though. Can you please tell me why the no front-facing buttons thing is being advertised as something new and cool? (the N900 doesn't have them either...)?

Because the only reason I can think of, is that the iPhone DOES have a button on the screen. And judging by availability markets for the N9, I can't help but conclude there was only one thing Nokia was thinking about when designing this phone: the iPhone 4. And global markets where the iPhone hasn't taken the biggest share of smartphones yet.

And I highly doubt your list could go on and on....

I just didn't want an iPhone replacement, but an N900 replacement. And if Nokia is about to abandon this ecosystem (you know it will), I don't know why they didn't do it the N900 way. Sorry.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
the nokia site clearly says "Integrated GPS, A-GPS receivers"
Same stuff in a pdf spec sheet I can't find anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
time to buy a second n900

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 63 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Zürich

fist pic of a black dev 950 device....

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to nikrohr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
the nokia site clearly says "Integrated GPS, A-GPS receivers"
Same stuff in a pdf spec sheet I can't find anymore.
Thanks for the clarification.

Sorry, but what you wrote is a seriously misguided attempt to spin and twist an uncomfortable truth.

There are only two true advantages to the N9 vs. the iPhone, as far as I can see it:

- True multitasking

- Community repo for the N9, if it ever materialises. So far there are talks of it being 'possible', not concrete specifics.

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Ah, okay. Let's see.

- "Jailbreak" is a disclaimer away, rather than a hack away.

- A beautifully solid piece of hardware.

- No front-facing buttons, intuitive swipe UI.

- Tight integration of a large number of social services into contacts, dialer, global presence, and so on.

- True multi-tasking with excellent UI for it.

- Better camera.

- Call quality / no interrupted signal etc.

- A great notifications system (iOS is adding something similar now, but neither better, nor cheaper, nor earlier).

- NFC

The list could go on, but I think your claim has been sufficiently refuted. The duel between the iPhone and the N9 will be a worthy one. N9 is lacking the apps (and possibly future), but is clearly superior in many other regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Any HDMI-related accessory? Something similar to the NFC Bluetooth speaker?

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland