Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
A 4.8" screen means the screen alone is as big as a N810! Then add in the side panels festooned with buttons - another inch each? - and you have a fairly chunky and definately not pocket friendly device.

It's unlikely to be using the as yet unavailable low power Intel x86 chips, so will almost certainly have to pack a large (and heavy) battery to get anything near a reasonable uptime.

The super high resolution screen is nice, but such a resolution is essential when using Windows because Windows applications are no longer designed with lower resolution desktop screens in mind. A small-screen optimised OS wouldn't need such a beast. Small text could become an issue on such a small and high dpi screen, particularly when running applications where the target audience is expected to have big desktop screens - I'm sure Windows will try to scale the fonts but they could still end up unreadable.

Price - almost certainly expensive, nudging $1000 or more I bet.

It will be interesting to see how it fares but it looks like it's just another UMPC, which is a form factor that should have died a death a long time ago - this is probably (hopefully) it's last breath. MID will become the new UMPC.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-11-21 at 04:20.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Apparently it might be using the new Intel Menlow low power processors due in 2008... 4-5 hours battery life may be feasible. Maybe it will be a MID too...

It still looks a bit too chunky for me but at the right price with the right OS and low power hardware it could hit the spot...

I like it. the n8xx are a bit on the small side, so I welcome something with a slightly bigger screen. I never carry my 770 in my pocket anyway, its always in my backpack pocket. I'd like to see something that large with a slide out keyboard though. I like the idea and larger screen, but it sounds like the price is going to be high. Anything over $500 is in the "I can get a laptop instead" range for me.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
Anything over $500 is in the "I can get a laptop instead" range for me.

Walmart has laptops for less than $500. I think it's closer to $300 these days. And, IIRC, there's a linux laptop web page that goes into detail on what things you need to do to install ubuntu on it (what drivers you need, etc.).

So, my "I can get a laptop instead" price threshold is "$300". If something is in a laptop size and shape, it can't cost more than the Walmart special that has known ubuntu drivers. The EEE PC has _never_ been a contender, IMO, because it costs too much.

But my main point is: saying "I could just buy a laptop" is a silly comparison to make. Clearly, if I wanted a laptop, I'd buy a laptop. What I want is decidedly not a laptop. Laptops are huge, fragile, and don't offer me the things I get from a NIT. That's why I just spent slightly more than a Walmart-special on an N810.

For me, the issue isn't "does it cost more than a laptop? if it does, I'll get a laptop". The issue is "does it pack the right features into a palmtop device, in a form factor that has a decent usability design". So, I see the ASUS R50A and think it's a little too big, and there are TOO MANY buttons on the side bars (thus, in my estimation, lowering its usability). It doesn't matter to me how its cost compares to a laptop, because that's not even close to being an important decision point in evaluating it as a competitor to the NIT family. The only way price would factor in is: how does its price compare to a 770/N800/N810, given what its feature set, size, and usability ratings are.

well, $500 to me is a "functional" laptop. As in fast processor, mass storage, and the ability to run regular pc apps. Things like the Asus eee doesn't quite meet that category. If I need to sacrifice those things for a portable web browser (which I am willing to do), I want it to be cheaper than $500 (which is where the 810 fits in).

looks like an "oversized PSP"

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Walmart has laptops for less than $500. I think it's closer to $300 these days. And, IIRC, there's a linux laptop web page that goes into detail on what things you need to do to install ubuntu on it (what drivers you need, etc.).

So, my "I can get a laptop instead" price threshold is "$300". If something is in a laptop size and shape, it can't cost more than the Walmart special that has known ubuntu drivers. The EEE PC has _never_ been a contender, IMO, because it costs too much.

But my main point is: saying "I could just buy a laptop" is a silly comparison to make. Clearly, if I wanted a laptop, I'd buy a laptop. What I want is decidedly not a laptop. Laptops are huge, fragile, and don't offer me the things I get from a NIT. That's why I just spent slightly more than a Walmart-special on an N810.

For me, the issue isn't "does it cost more than a laptop? if it does, I'll get a laptop". The issue is "does it pack the right features into a palmtop device, in a form factor that has a decent usability design". So, I see the ASUS R50A and think it's a little too big, and there are TOO MANY buttons on the side bars (thus, in my estimation, lowering its usability). It doesn't matter to me how its cost compares to a laptop, because that's not even close to being an important decision point in evaluating it as a competitor to the NIT family. The only way price would factor in is: how does its price compare to a 770/N800/N810, given what its feature set, size, and usability ratings are.
Best post in this thread. (hence the repeat by quoting)

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-12-02 at 12:22.