Active Topics

not sure if this has been posted earlier: http://swipe.nokia.com/

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Halifax
Am I the only one noticing they went backwards this time and went for total Portrait mode with little landscape except displayed in browser? It doesn't seem like the 3 home screen views rotate, which I guess will be corrected once TMO folks complain :P. Anyways my thoughts on the phone is that it will not be an upgrade to my n900, regardless of it's new features which I find cool and intriguing nonetheless. The n900 combined and overwhelming sensation of hardware that we may or may not miss once switched to this new phone but the lack of support for the phone itself and its OS hindered its growth. N900 will still be the best smartphone or i like to call it mobile device out there for a little while, in my opinion anyways. This phone regardless of it's lacking hardware features in comparison to the n900 has a budding OS that seems to be gainingn some excitement , especially in QT development. So I will get this phone if it is ever released in North America , to show my support for harmattan meego and Nokia. The rest of this no dual core is just semantics for most people yes an extra core does help out in some process but generally who cares wants inside as long as it performs with no lag and is smooth as butter which this device is clearly capable of. Just because HTC spouts a new phone, every other day it seems, with dual core doesn't mean all phone should have one to compete or will be inferior. My n900 with all my customizations (power kernel, swappiness, etc) feels as fast as some of my friends new 2010-2011 android phones/iphone and it does what i want when i want which is what i like. So Nokia didn't give us hdmi, or Adobe flash, but at least they're trying to progress in a new and exciting direction that may get better with our support. Like Apple perhaps they will release a second device with updated specs down the road depending on the N9's success. Regardless you win some you lose some is the saying that fits most appropriately with the N9 and hopefully the wins out-way the losses , and my optimistic self thinks it will. Just my two cents on the matter, thanks for reading if you did, its long but i'm up and psyched

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maj3stic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by olympus View Post
Does anyone remember, did the n950 proto have a hdmi port?
every rumour supposed it to have one.
What is inserted here?
http://www.maivoo.com/2011/02/23/Nok...n-n307325.html
Sorry can't see it clearly on my poor non-AMOLED TM N900 screen in this sunny lakeview environment.

N9 no HDMI out and claiming 720p playback makes no sense but N9 having no HDMI and depriving the device from bizz apeal for presentations and connecting to hotel TV's hence clearing market space for business WP7 phones makes sense for Elopians.

N9, Best virtual keyboard of the year LOL, US carriers discovering N950 HW keyboard too weak... ROFL

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
If anyone want to see the official specs then go here: https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt...et.pdf&h=320f7

Not sure if someone has already posted it.

Deleted the kickstand.
Deleted the lens cover.
Deleted the physical keyboard.
The features which brought me to the N900 are all gone. most important - Deleted the Resistive screen. This means I cannot use it while on my motorcycle (cap screens don't work with gloves on). I cannot use it in the winter (without removing my gloves).
Time to sell my N900, move to the Asus Transformer once Asus adds 3G or 4G and use Skype for calls and text. If I have to go to a capacitive screen it's going to be something with a physical keyboad (can be had with the Transformer) and a well developed market and community. Many here have already gone to Droid and once the Transformer adds the cellular data connection, so may I.

Elop'd and wishing it wasn't so,
David

Last edited by monkeyman; 2015-03-20 at 21:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to monkeyman For This Useful Post:
Ok, so how is this phone better than the N900, except for the fact that it has a slightly bigger screen, more ram and a faster CPU (although you can overclock the N900 to or near 1Ghz)?
But it is more expensive (probably twice as much), it lacks a keyboard and FM transmitter, and it lacks Flash. At least the N900 has Flash 9.1 which sort of works well on some sites.
I wonder if it still has Skype integrated, and if it can make Skype video calls, like the N900.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
after owning a N900, do you think Nokia will support this phone in a major way after release ?

the only way I will buy it is if it had all the functionality I needed from a phone AT RELEASE

after N900, I learned my lesson - do not buy anything from Nokia hoping for future updates - only buy it if it has ALL the features you NEED at purchase time.
The N9 really does seem to have a much greater consumer focus than the N900. With that in mind, I don't think the issues that plagued the N900 will necessarily apply here.

I'm aware that this post will probably be met with kicking & screaming.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
What is inserted here?
Sorry can't see it clearly on my poor non-AMOLED TM N900 screen in this sunny lakeview environment.

N9 no HDMI out and claiming 720p playback makes no sense but N9 having no HDMI and depriving the device from bizz apeal for presentations and connecting to hotel TV's hence clearing market space for business WP7 phones makes sense for Elopians.

N9, Best virtual keyboard of the year LOL, US carriers discovering N950 HW keyboard too weak... ROFL
USB to HDMI support I guess. MHL like the Galaxy S2. I'm not convince on buying it yet. Though, I bought myself a Galaxy SII already. This would probably died in a few months anyway.

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
What is inserted here?

looks like HDMI to me.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Montpellier, France
so to summerize :
no keyboard, ever
no usb on the go
no micro sd slot
no hdmi out ?
8mpx when n8 has 12

What a disruption nokia !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thieric For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland