Active Topics

Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
I must admit that WP7 could (not necessary) bring in better UI and graphics compared to Maemo / Meego
Graphics and UI are a function of the people developing the upper level interface. They are not a function of the underlying OS unless the software stack is in some way fundamentally broken and, at least WRT MeeGo, it is not.

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
Any why would mainstream consumers care whether an OS is open or not.....
Mainstream consumers may not, but device vendors may. After all, Microsoft is basically throwing their weight around in the design of these devices, and both WP7 and Android make the hardware vendor play second fiddle to the OS vendor. With MeeGo, they have an opportunity to brand themselves without annoying the OS vendor.

And the whole "but the mainstream user doesn't care" argument is dangerous, since it justifies lots and lots of things that generally aren't good. You know, like forcing DRM on people (who don't know that it's enforcing restrictions on them.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Mainstream consumers may not, but device vendors may. After all, Microsoft is basically throwing their weight around in the design of these devices, and both WP7 and Android make the hardware vendor play second fiddle to the OS vendor. With MeeGo, they have an opportunity to brand themselves without annoying the OS vendor.
Reality is, hardware vendors want to maximize their profits and minimize expenses. Their expertises are in hardware and logistics, not in software. Why should they spend money differentiating software from a commonly established OS in a certain ecosystem if the whole purpose of the ecosystem for them is to leverage software and appropriate market leg created by other participants? Phone makers in China, producing cheap Android phones, are no different and work well in this way -- many of those even don't support Android Market and don't care about apps being installed but rather glide on the Android trademark.

In each ecosystem there are few players who are willing to differentiate on all scales, from hardware to software to services. But they are very few and they subsume most of costs on sustaining the ecosystem. If it pays them off, that is brilliant. But I wouldn't expect the whole configurability and extensibility story would sell well to all hardware vendors. A cheap way to ride on off others would sell the ecosystem more than anything else.

Sorry to be blunt.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
All Quiet on the Western Front

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
You forget the iPAD, a phenomenal success
success doesnt mean disruptive. ipod was also successfull, but not disruptive... disruptive means something completly new and rules breaking, not successfull.

The Following User Says Thank You to Brock For This Useful Post:
Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Originally Posted by jayhule View Post
This screen talk reminds me of the "Haptikos" technology revealed years ago if old Nokia fans/followers remember. Was supposed to be cool new tech, but then dissapeared.

Search Haptikos or this link will help if not...

engadget.com/2008/07/08/nokias-haptikos-tactile-feedback-tech-revealed-in-patent-applic/
which screen talk? this haptics theme is a little old, check out jakimens sig... or even mine... we here are sure that it will have something like this...

Originally Posted by Brock View Post
success doesnt mean disruptive. ipod was also successfull, but not disruptive... disruptive means something completly new and rules breaking, not successfull.
Which the iPad is, without a doubt. Tablets were considered a failed experiment, until Apple came out with theirs. Now the market is being flooded with new tablets, which follow the same formula. If that is not market disrupting, then I don't know what else is.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Wroclaw, Poland
Hi guys

More "internal" rumors about Nokia WM7 and Meego.

http://bit.ly/iDGaq6

PS
My first post in this EPIC thread. I'm thrilled

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vacaloca For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Which the iPad is, without a doubt. Tablets were considered a failed experiment, until Apple came out with theirs. Now the market is being flooded with new tablets, which follow the same formula. If that is not market disrupting, then I don't know what else is.
again, success doesnt mean disruptive. disruptive is something new and innovative. there were tablets before you could buy, regardless of how successfull is was. the ipad is just another tablet, but the first successfull. that means that apple has disruptive marketing (since ipod and/or iphone). thas what i understand with disruptive

but lets stop talking about apple, we have a better organisation here (maemo)

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
The same could be said for the iPod Shuffle. At that time period, everyone was trying to make small flash music players with tiny displays so that you can pick your song, work with some kind of visual interface. Apple put out a display-less player with minimal controls and advertised it as "life is random". Than came the copies...

But I agree, it is a market disruption... It took the focus away from netbooks, which people used in essentially the same way, as a very portable internet/media consumption device.

Why don't you all just grab a cup of coffee and wait till June 21.
For all this bulshit that has been said in the last 3000 posts this thread has only 4 stars. its getting really lame and stinky.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N9Us For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland