Active Topics

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Still interested in what the patent where about. anyone knows?

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
Plus, it is very likely that the Android ecosystem will start making paymentd not only to Microsoft, which happens already, but also Nokia. The combined tax could be as high as 17 dollars per unit of smartphones.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
HTC is currently paying MS $5 per Android handset in patent royalties. MS is now going to persue other handset manufacturers in the same way but for more.
Interestingly MS seems to have made more out of that deal than they do out of WP handset license revenue and WP7 makes them about $30 a handset.
Makes you realise where the real money is...

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
We don't really know, if Nokia won or not. There's no public information on payment details. Apple paying license fees to Nokia isn't a sign of victory. It was obvious from the start that Apple would have to pay something. Nokia's case was so strong. Apple could be the real winner here, if the settlement has considerably lower payments than what Nokia wanted.
Depends on who paid what:

"Nokia said its agreement with Apple consisted of a one-off payment, the value of which was not disclosed, and ongoing royalties."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13759612

But I'd hazard a guess that it's Apple paying Nokia.

The lawsuit included:

"infringements of touch interfaces, caller ID, display illumination, and 3G and wi-fi technology."

The caller ID and 3G infringements date back to when Apple released the iPhone 3G.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
ohhhhhh cant wait for engadged to report this. it must hurt bad. so bad.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
The lawsuit included:

"infringements of touch interfaces, caller ID, display illumination, and 3G and wi-fi technology."

The caller ID and 3G infringements date back to when Apple released the iPhone 3G.
Unbelievable! Apple is such an idiot that could not create the caller ID itself!?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
yep. it hurts
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/n...nt-litigation/

5 lines of text and a stab at nokia anyway. for those interested the link above has a link to the patent disputes.

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
ohhhhhh cant wait for engadged to report this. it must hurt bad. so bad.
I guess they'll they'll either avoid it or wankel it about so it demonizes Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by govprog View Post
Unbelievable! Apple is such an idiot that could not create the caller ID itself!?
Actualy, with patents you can create something yourself, independently, and without even knowing that it previously existed, and still be liable for licence to the first creator.
Even for something incredibly ovious like replacing a number by the corresponding name.
Nice isn't it?

I am not saying it is the case here, and Nokia spends incredible money in R&D, so it's only fair if they get some money back, but patent regulation is still completely wicked on some aspects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Software patents that is. Want to wager a bet which company had more solid hardware patents, and which company had more laughable software patents?

I like what Apple is doing all in all, but I can't possibly feel sorry for them in this case.