Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
If Apple invented Android, even on the UI argument, then why was Apple's WWDC conference touting the incredible drop-down notification bar, cloud services and computer-less updates and all those things that Android's been doing for years? Just saying--even on his own level of debate, he's incredibly wrong.
Absolutely. Also, the iOS launcher bears a striking resemblance to PalmOS of old...

The bottom line is that there are few original ideas. Open ideas are how innovation happens. First you take something that exists and put a twist on it, or combine it with something else to make something new. Ironically, Apple seems much the culprit for taking existing ideas and dressing them up rather than creating ideas that diverge more sharply from past implementations.

Android has some outstanding innovations. APKs, the dalvik VM, the view based UI, the activity based app environment, etc, etc. I would be happy to see these ideas utilized in an open fashion by other projects, but it seems that there is a holy war going on that makes 'factions' too proud to implement a useful idea from the competition. Such is certainly the case between Linux and Android. Ugh.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Oh. My. Goat...

Take a second glance.. That's not an iPhone, it's an Android phone:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/06/gooapple-phone/
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QNjPtsTaww

And the UI is even more impressive. Can you believe that it's Froyo skinned to look like iOS4?

Say what you will about the OS but this is such a faithful reproduction that it deserves serious kudos -- it's masterful. This would easily fool me upon first glance or even light usage.

This speaks to the incredible flexibility of Android, specifically its UI!

The gentle soul that made the video has a message at the end: If Nokia can cooperate with MS, why not Google and Apple? Well said, dear friend. If only... this world would be a more peaceful place...

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-06-10 at 02:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Here's a really impressive demo of the Tab doing Augmented Reality using a standard poster as the target:
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAAxb3GqaYs

I've seen it done with symbols, though with a standard poster is quite impressive. I do wonder, however, if its tracking the flower pattern or the white border...

Either way, it's quite smooth. My only complaint is that the projection isn't fixed very well to a specific portion of the poster.

I think something else that Apple fanboys forget is that there were Android Tablets such as the Archos 7ht, Archos 5it, Ramos w7, SmartQ V5 and SmarQ V7 before the the iPad existed and that the design of iBooks copied Aldiko, and the coverflow of the iPad looks exactly like that of the Archos 5 music player. Apple and their fanboys are full $h!T.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Just to continue the Apple stealing / copying trend:

Apple pilfers rips off student's rejected iPhone app
iOS 5 lifts idea, name, even logo

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06..._rejected_app/

So, one of the main updates to iOS was stolen from a student.

Apple reaching new lows everyday

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
I think something else that Apple fanboys forget is that there were Android Tablets such as the Archos 7ht, Archos 5it, Ramos w7, SmartQ V5 and SmarQ V7 before the the iPad existed and that the design of iBooks copied Aldiko, and the coverflow of the iPad looks exactly like that of the Archos 5 music player. Apple and their fanboys are full $h!T.
What the hell is a RAmos?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I've bought me a Galaxy Tab 7" this morn. I wasn't in a safe position thinking to hack my wife's one, because she would have crashed both femurs of mine in the case I bricked it. When I upgraded her firmware (really, her Tab's firmware, not really *her* firmware the time the device stayed still with the Samsung logo on, without doing anything apparently, I was quite scared, really was I! And then I discovered it wasn't Gingerbread either, but just another Froyo iteration!
Well now I have one for me to play with and eventually dismantle if I like to.

When home, 1st thing is z4root, 2nd is Titanium backup, right?

Danramos you have any other advice? Capt'n?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I've bought me a Galaxy Tab 7" this morn. I wasn't in a safe position thinking to hack my wife's one, because she would have crashed both femurs of mine in the case I bricked it. When I upgraded her firmware (really, her Tab's firmware, not really *her* firmware the time the device stayed still with the Samsung logo on, without doing anything apparently, I was quite scared, really was I! And then I discovered it wasn't Gingerbread either, but just another Froyo iteration!
Well now I have one for me to play with and eventually dismantle if I like to.

When home, 1st thing is z4root, 2nd is Titanium backup, right?

Danramos you have any other advice? Capt'n?
For you? I would recommend installing Ubuntu/Debian in Android with VNC for some legacy app support as well as a little CLI lovin'. It would be nice to have a linux desktop (even if it's a bit slow) on a device like this.

I would also check out what lardman is doing with getting MeeGo to run on the system!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:

It seems that Tab 8.9 may be having screen yield issues:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/10/s...-chubbier-ver/

This means that either the device will be delayed, or another variant will make it on the scene with an inferior screen!

Here's hoping that Sammy can sort something out!

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy