Active Topics

Originally Posted by volt View Post
Now, once the new N device is out, Nokia says MeeGo@Nokia will be downsized and moved back to being a R&D project. This is planned to happen with the MeeGo funding:

That's a pretty steep cutback, especially considering how few devices they got out on the original funding.

------------------------------------------

Also, we have that whole stock warning situation from this week. Ahonen speculates that Elop may use that to cut MeeGo completely.
which when you consider that Nokia was spending $4bn/year on R&D still represents an ongoing Meego/Qt investment of $200m/year.

------------------------------------------

that would be disappointing, but i hope not given the above.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Engadget article reads like pure speculative garbage.

EDIT: thanks Stskeeps for the poke.

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-06-02 at 15:58.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Article reads like pure speculative garbage.
Engadget article, yes, businessweek one is a fairly good read.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Why didn't they just keep rolling ahead with Maemo until Meego was done?

I feel like it wouldn't have taken a whole lot of resources to keep on trucking with Maemo and make a few more of their "internet tablet" range of devices while Meego was still being worked on.

Oh well.

The Following User Says Thank You to tushyd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
read the original article instead of engadget one... its not garbage. its serious article imho.

I take the original article as Nokia will NOT drop Meego! I am sure the engineers behind it want it to improve. Not a chance they go to WP7. And I am sure it also is needed if Nokia shall success outisde US/EU.

But its not ready for the massproductioon devices as the board had expected. Nokia seems to have big big problems with the organization! WP7 was only sollution it seems...

I seriously hope there will come new Meego device upcoming years. And I think it still can be the plans for Nokia.

But first lets see whats happening with the device this year I hope it will success.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-06-02 at 16:38.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Are you insane?

Meego isn't ready for production, but neither is WP7!!

This whole stinking business is purely Microsoft sacrificing Nokia to hurt Linux market- and mindshare.

In 3 years there will not be a Nokia anymore to make phones.

But Microsoft doesn't care; they're only doing this to delay the onset of mobile Linux for a couple more years.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
But its not ready for the massproductioon devices as the board had expected. Nokia seems to have big big problems with the organization! WP7 was only sollution it seems...

The Following User Says Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Are you insane?

Meego isn't ready for production, but neither is WP7!!

This whole stinking business is purely Microsoft sacrificing Nokia to hurt Linux market- and mindshare.

In 3 years there will not be a Nokia anymore to make phones.

But Microsoft doesn't care; they're only doing this to delay the onset of mobile Linux for a couple more years.
Read the original article.

My point is that Meego(Maemo) is not ready to be installed on 12 Nokia different devices in a year. WP7 obviously is! The facts that Nokias Meego device still i using deb inmstead of RPM and is not Meego compliant proves enought that Meego is not ready to be massmarket on > 12 nokias devices 2012.

And to be realist I wonder even if Meego, without Nokia, is ready on massmarket, If so were is the damn devices!? Shall we blame Nokia and Microsoft decision for that!?

Only device seen so far is and WeTab and some damn Asus EEE netbook but its 2011!? people want tocuhscreen devices(tablets/handdset) not some damn old HW and netbook.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-06-02 at 17:22.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Engadget article, yes, businessweek one is a fairly good read.
The Businessweek article goes a long way in explaining the rationale behind what is happening. Of particular interest is the development towards game changing phones, not icatch up types.

I think if he succeeds...then the old nokia will be brought back to life.
My Favourite posts!
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=539
http://forums.precentral.net/2674180-post149.html
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=500
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63720

The Following User Says Thank You to gryedouge For This Useful Post:
Actual link to the BusinessWeek article:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...2056703101.htm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gryedouge View Post
The Businessweek article goes a long way in explaining the rationale behind what is happening. Of particular interest is the development towards game changing phones, not icatch up types.

I think if he succeeds...then the old nokia will be brought back to life.
the funny thing is i don't care if Nokia catches up, i am not in any useful way a Nokia fan. I just like maemo/meego.

if they put out some good hardware with harmattan on i will buy it, but i will never buy a WP7 phone regardless of whether it i mad eby nokia or not.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada blows, buysomethinelse, good move, goodbye nokia, wp7 rocks