Poll: Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.
Poll Options
Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.

Closed Thread
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
You are not on topic and instead attacking joining in with support from scottich duck.

Can i please remind you to stay on topic and stop the attacks.
OK back on topic. Why did you ask a developer to break the law?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScottishDuck For This Useful Post:
Total Nincompoop.

Thankyou for that and please do something for yourself and open up your own MeeGo thread for disussion as i feel it will help you much more than this thread will.

Also please keep up the work on MeeGo adaption for the N900 and i promise you that if it even gets to the point it is a fully programmable os taking over the Maemo os you will have my 100% backing !.
Right now it is not a lot at all and from a developers eyes looking in a little dissapointing so i want you to prove me wrong and get MeeGo up and running as fast as you can, i wish you all the luck in gaining dev's for your project but right now as it stands there is nothing to even touch the Maemo os for the N900.

Maemo stands firm in this community as it is after all Maemo.org and the reason for this Poll.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Shouldn't we start a new petition "PETITION to Stskeeps to release the full source code of whatever-he-is-working-on to this Community." so that we could end the debate here?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Imma start a PETITION for people to start doing things, rather than making more POINTLESS PETITIONS asking people about what they want...

on a relevant note, where do you want to go today? (tm)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Holy ****, abill_uk.
Since you're an experienced software/hardware engineer, why not develop your own SGX driver? It's a FSF high-priority project after all, and you can wave your e-pen0r around when you're done.
Point is, the Meego N900 DE team are working with software components freely redistributable but don't work with Maemo for various reasons, or components they made themselves/patched up other OSS projects.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Holy ****, abill_uk.
Since you're an experienced software/hardware engineer, why not develop your own SGX driver? It's a FSF high-priority project after all, and you can wave your e-pen0r around when you're done.
Point is, the Meego N900 DE team are working with software components freely redistributable but don't work with Maemo for various reasons, or components they made themselves/patched up other OSS projects.
Without any irony or malice:
PETITION to Nokia to release the full source code of the Maemo OS to this Community

There is no meego in it.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Without any irony or malice:
PETITION to Nokia to release the full source code of the Maemo OS to this Community

There is no meego in it.
Darn, I read it as "PETITION to Microsoft to release the full source code of the Mango OS to this community" during voting!

My bad! Is there any way I could retract my 'Yes' now? No?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
momcilo, if you have specific questions about components and licensing, I'd like to take that in another thread. But please do your homework on how open source licensing works as I think you have misconceptions.
Yes I have to do my homework.

Stskeeps, you may notice that in many ways I share some level of agreement with abill_uk on this topic.

As for misconceptions, please note that what I am asking is not the following:
N900 (hardware is not of interest) + Meego + closed propriatory bits of nokia + closed propitiatory bits of third parties

I am asking for the following:
open source hardware drivers for all of the device (770, 800, 810, 900 and maybe future device).

Yes you have provided the status of these components for n900, not for the other devices. You have stated we should be safe with closed source drivers, but have you ever had a machine with Broadcom wifi module, and did you ever experience the reliability of a similarly designed blobs?

I have, if you didn't you may want to spend some time in exploring how this really works in reality (EDIT: I mean user experience, I am know you are extremely capable guy).

In short I simply want fully open platform DEVICE+DRIVERS+OS

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-06-02 at 11:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
PS i am anything but stupid trust me !.
Well, I guess that settles that.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
This is sad to read as you are putting a definitive gap between Maemo and MeeGo, have you any idea how people would react if you actually helped in any way the cause for Maemo?.

Is money all that matters to you?.
You're again putting words in other people's mouths, you fail to realize the difference between people just describing a situation and people's personal opinions, and you also belittle all the great stuff that Stskeeps actually has done for Maemo (and MeeGo), especially compared to you just talking here without any action whatsoever...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
current, daddys ketchup, flog dead horse, give him, just shoot me, must not say no, no argue ok, play nice, situation, yes or highway