Active Topics

Poll: Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.
Poll Options
Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.

Closed Thread
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Carsten i was not talking about the official route ! try to read in between the lines, as you said certain things cannot be discussed.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@ Stskeeps - BTW did you ever try to build SGX xorg driver for n900? The 'open' one which source is in repos. Try it someday when you have some spare time.

Someone here was asking about GPL violations.

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Carsten i was not talking about the official route ! try to read in between the lines, as you said certain things cannot be discussed.
There's no way but the official route. Are you asking me to breach my contract and do criminal activities, opening myself to civil suit for damages and criminal prosecution?

Are you stupid?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@ Stskeeps - BTW did you ever try to build SGX xorg driver for n900? The 'open' one which source is in repos. Try it someday when you have some spare time.

Someone here was asking about GPL violations.
Yes, in fact I sort-of maintain it in MeeGo, and xorg driver is MIT/X11 licensing, so GPL licensing doesn't really apply.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Yes lets all do illegal things and there will be no consequences whatsoever!

Grow up.

I'll also note for the benefit of the sensible folk that FSF are looking for developers to reverse engineer the SGX driver and get some gallium3d niceness. So far noone has come forward.

Last edited by ScottishDuck; 2011-06-02 at 06:19.

@Stskeeps - Do not have time to dig into licenses now, will do it when I have time. Anyway, will you share the result of your build? I mean was it successful?

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
There's no way but the official route. Are you asking me to breach my contract and do criminal activities, opening myself to civil suit for damages and criminal prosecution?

Are you stupid?
In addition to that, anyone using anything or distributing anything that was released in illegal manner will be liable to prosecution and suit as well. This is not the way to do it.

Just look at the Windows 2000 source code release that happened some years back. If you even looked at it, you would be not be suitable for touching a lot of code, unable to contribute to ReactOS, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Do not have time to dig into licenses now, will do it when I have time. Anyway, will you share the result of your build? I mean was it successful?
If memory doesn't fail me, I did a successful build of it for the Beagleboard port, but that was before my harddisk crash so I don't have the binary around.

I've thrown out Scratchbox from my machine, so I can't do it right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
@Stskeeps - Do not have time to dig into licenses now, will do it when I have time. Anyway, will you share the result of your build? I mean was it successful?
MIT and its derivatives are permissive and GPL-compatible. They are allowed to mix with proprietary code and also allowed to mix with GPL code.

The Following User Says Thank You to ScottishDuck For This Useful Post:
OK, to be clear - there is no way SGX driver to be build in scratchbox using source from repository. There are several header files missing and nowhere to be found(at least legally). Like pvr2d.h and such. The same ones stskeeps is maintaining for DE, just an older version. And what drives me crasy is that it seems there is a SGX driver fork made especially for Nokia, as from year now TI Graphics SDK is free to be downloaded. But it is usless for n900.

@stskeeps - are you allowed to share under which license n900 SGX SDK is distributed, and if you are will you share it(I mean the license)?

Last edited by freemangordon; 2011-06-02 at 06:42.

Closed Thread

Tags
current, daddys ketchup, flog dead horse, give him, just shoot me, must not say no, no argue ok, play nice, situation, yes or highway