Active Topics

Poll: Do you agree to recommend to talk.maemo.org admins that abill_uk should be permanently banned?
Poll Options
Do you agree to recommend to talk.maemo.org admins that abill_uk should be permanently banned?

Closed Thread
Yes. Ban. Lifetime ban.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
If expressing my honest opinion without breaking the rules gets me banned then so be it.

I see nothing i have done even to deserve any action against me.

Maemo and MeeGo are clashing on the N900 front and i guess this had to come to a head, i have accomplished that if nothing else..... goal achieved without breaking any rules !.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Wow, this place has really gone downhill in the last year. It says a lot about the attitude around here that a single person can drive so many people away from something they love. Or has he?

Personally, I think Nokia has done far more directly and indirectly to drive people away than a single person has.

What I read is a personal attack on another member, backed up by hearsay stories about how this on person has driven people away.

Irregardless of the reasons or feelings behind this, this poll directly circumvents the authority of the mods in the forum. If I were a mod, I'd take this as a slap in the face.

Clearly, there are rules for the forum. These rules dictate how and why bans and permanent bans happen. In fact they were updated recently, and much discussion occurred around them. If the person in question is as disruptive as we are being led to believe, certianly they have racked up enough complaints to be banned per the rules of the forum.

So, either the mods aren't doing their job, or this person isn't eligible for a permanent ban based on the rules.

If you want to ignore the rules in place, and just vote people off, then TMO should be a private forum with applications for membership. Or perhaps we should revisit the forum rules and make appropriate changes.

I find it even sadder that a respected member of the community is so frustrated that he feels the need to vent in this fashion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
If expressing my honest opinion without breaking the rules gets me banned then so be it.

I see nothing i have done even to deserve any action against me.
Well everyone hates you..so you might do the honourable thing and close your account.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Maemo and MeeGo are clashing on the N900 front and i guess this had to come to a head, i have accomplished that if nothing else..... goal achieved without breaking any rules !.
It's not just the Maemo vs Meego thing..your posts have been frustrating since day 1.

I don't know if you do this on purpose or not. If you have good intentions (which I HIGHLY doubt), you are just making matters worse. Driving contributing developers away is NOT a good thing. It's not like you ever contributed anything..

Last edited by pantera1989; 2011-05-28 at 16:16.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I think you'd be surprised then - the moderator may agree with you, but if not it can be escalated. But it's hard to handle in this way. There are supermoderators...
You might be surprised when you find out about how many posts of him got removed by mods due to violating forum rules during the last almost 2 years. Those don't show up anymore today, so nobody except maybe the mods can tell exactly and I have to trust my memory that's not set up to keep track and record of such nonsense. Anyway that's been one of the points that made me vote yes.
This is for sure NOT about maemo vs meego, please don't divert the topic of this thread. This is exclusively and entirely about abill_uk's value, inflection, mindset and effect of contributions here to other members and the forum at large.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 939 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ U.K.
Crickey naming and shaming eh?? there's only one name that springs to mind it starts with a E and ends in a H, he's in my ignore list for attacking other members.
tbh honest if people get on your nerves use the ignore button.

Last edited by corduroysack; 2011-05-28 at 16:47.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to corduroysack For This Useful Post:
This Poll is a shame for the mods and the Community Council.
I didn't vote,but would vote No. I don't believe anyone left because of him, and I've seen nothing worth banning him.
As this Poll comes up shortly after his Source-Poll, you could think that it has something to do with it

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sethkha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
*sigh*

That's all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
*sigh*

That's all.

Even if you use ignore-button there are loads of people not using it and they still reply to trolls and you still are probably going to read their posts. Personally I very rarely come here anymore because of the negative attitude of the forum, although of course Nokia's weird actions are also to blame for that. Although I've never been any kind of contributing member here I still enjoyed finding out about new stuff etc., but constant whining from people like abill_uk and danramos, and lately misterc, just to name a few, makes it hard to feel comfortable here.

Of course no forum is perfect, but I've been pretty surprised of the amount of trolling that goes around here, and has been going on since I started visiting this place at the beginning of 2010. Maybe those people really hate Nokia so much that they make their online-life's work to try to ruin it for all the others too? It's all just so weird.

And btw, abill_uk has been the same all the time he's been here.

The Following User Says Thank You to pasih For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread