Active Topics

Poll: Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.
Poll Options
Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.

Closed Thread
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by codecxbox View Post
What is really needed is a full GSM linux implementation (drivers,modules,etc.) and source to really have a open source environment on the n900. It would be better. How about a lean Debian mid with call and cellular data working, similar to Android and Wing? Yea, create a beast like that, and say "Hey, Nokia, how you like them apples now?...

hey, I bought a Q1 Ultra, oh it has a sim card holder, bah, doesnt work in ubuntu.
Ever heard of Meego!? Only different with above and Meego is the package manager the rest of the stuff you say is already in n900DE

1 I hate RPM,s gives me the PMS.
2. The point of have that the gsm part open is so you can have your phone running with any linux os you want and have a working phone at the same time. I mean, when Maemo dies, do you really want to install another closed source os? isnt that like ahh again?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't think anyone thinks this petition will work. I think it is intended as an excuse for inaction. If it did work, Nokia would be aiding a revolt against Nokia that might affect the sales of Nokia by encouraging some of its customers to follow Maemo instead of Nokia.

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
And where are skype, flash (9) , microb, navigation software, etc... in Cordia and Meego? Don't get me wrong, I fully support those efforts (yes, I do), but also I want fully functioning device in my pocket. And the only OS that gives such functionality for N900 till now is Maemo 5. I do not understand that consumer way of thinking - there is new toy (OS, car model, whatever), lets put our current one in trash and hurry about new one.

And please, do not tell me that we should ban evil companies(Skype/M$, Adobe) by not using their services on our FOSS devices.

This thread was about opensource Maemo OS. And the above apps is no way near to be open sourced anyway, And too me its kind of wierd discussion from abill and now you.

First you want everything open. Then people complain when there IS open alternatives to use, Meego. "Because its not ready"?

Why doesnt people get this straight:

Open Source will only be "ready" if people contribute! There is no "fast way".

Personally I doubt those who have voted yes ever will contribute anyway. Its much simpler to click a damn button in a forum than actually contribute to the open source. I know I am not that good to contribute myself for years :-( So dont get me wrong but...

IMHO. If you prefer Maemo. Stay with Maemo and accept the facts that some components/drivers etc will never be open. Or help improve a great new OS.

I am sure the community can, with help of alot of people, make Meego a killer OS on N900 if people contribute to it instead of sitting in this forum and cry about some deprecated codebase from Nokia.

1 I hate RPM,s gives me the PMS.
2. The point of have that the gsm part open is so you can have your phone running with any linux os you want and have a working phone at the same time. I mean, when Maemo dies, do you really want to install another closed source os? isnt that like ahh again?
Again MEEGO!

but about GSM:

http://ofono.org/

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
This thread was about opensource Maemo OS. And the above apps is no way near to be open sourced anyway, And too me its kind of wierd discussion from abill and now you.

First you want everything open. Then people complain when there IS open alternatives to use, Meego. "Because its not ready"?

Why doesnt people get this straight:

Open Source will only be "ready" if people contribute! There is no "fast way".

Personally I doubt those who have voted yes ever will contribute anyway. Its much simpler to click a damn button in a forum than actually contribute to the open source. I know I am not that good to contribute myself for years :-( So dont get me wrong but...

IMHO. If you prefer Maemo. Stay with Maemo and accept the facts that some components/drivers etc will never be open. Or help improve a great new OS.

I am sure the community can, with help of alot of people, make Meego a killer OS on N900 if people contribute to it instead of sitting in this forum and cry about some deprecated codebase from Nokia.
You very clearly don't understand that phones are NOT like PC's.

You can't just install different OS' and get full functionality from them all...

The ONLY OS that will ever be usable on a day-day basis allowing us to fully utilise our N900 is Maemo 5. MeeGo will NEVER get to where Maemo is now on the N900. On new phones made for MeeGo it could potentially be amazing.

But MeeGo at best will struggle on our N900s compared to Maemo 5.

With opened source code we could make Maemo just that bit more perfect for our N900 as we dont want to contribute to MeeGo as no matter how much effort we put in, nothing good will really come to our N900, only for the new Nokia and other manufacturers phones designed for MeeGo will benefit from our work.

If we had source code to Phone,Conversations and Calendar. We could implement working portrait support that is bug free or almost bug free and improve alot of UI related things after the main code has been cleaned.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following User Says Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Again MEEGO!

but about GSM:

http://ofono.org/
Yes, very cool

And Nokia is even a proud sponsor of the movement, yet they dont release gsm code?

Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
You very clearly don't understand that phones are NOT like PC's.

You can't just install different OS' and get full functionality from them all...

The ONLY OS that will ever be usable on a day-day basis allowing us to fully utilise our N900 is Maemo 5. MeeGo will NEVER get to where Maemo is now on the N900. On new phones made for MeeGo it could potentially be amazing.

But MeeGo at best will struggle on our N900s compared to Maemo 5.

With opened source code we could make Maemo just that bit more perfect for our N900 as we dont want to contribute to MeeGo as no matter how much effort we put in, nothing good will really come to our N900, only for the new Nokia and other manufacturers phones designed for MeeGo will benefit from our work.

If we had source code to Phone,Conversations and Calendar. We could implement working portrait support that is bug free or almost bug free and improve alot of UI related things after the main code has been cleaned.
1. Phone:

Not sure here but cant the phone functionality be accessed via libofono or via dbus like in Meego? I dont see any reason the backend must be opened? What will that help you? You have too have the technical specificaions for the modem to if you want to implement what stuff it is missing or is buggy.

2. Conversation ("app" made by thirdparty if I remember correct so maybe not Nokias decision):

Again better make a new app based on Qt(Quick) and also port to Meego with full portrait/landscape support instead of continue "stupid gtk hacks".

3. Calendar

I guess syncing is bigest issue here? But there was a guy working on the Meego conference working on a "syncapp" for Meego would be better backport his app for Maemo instead of use some deprecated sourcecode?

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-05-26 at 18:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Yes, very cool

And Nokia is even a proud sponsor of the movement, yet they dont release gsm code?
What will you personally do with some halvbacked GSM code from Nokia? Do you think it help to get it "open source"? I doubt, you need technical specs too. And if they exist public its better write module for libofono than use Nokias deprectated codebase.

libofono is enought to make GSM work in Meego so I dont see why we cant use it in maemo too.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
The up to date NO vote is suprising indeed and i am rather shocked to say the least these people obviously do not want to support the CSSU.

Andre Klapper, chan32167, clasificado, deadmalc, dee, HellFlyer, ioan, ironm8, jnack95, NvyUs, Sazpaimon, theking2, tissot, Ykho
lol what makes you think i didnt know the vote was public, i read that long ago... as to why i voted no... just cause i am quite happy with my device, does what i need and how i need it.

I dont need to go crying all the time about something that is obviously fantasy(asking for the closed sources)... i can recount lots of projects that never got the source code... you can even see them on TMO...

What i dont understand from you... is that few days back you were bashing the cssu people... have you finally realized the great job they are doing?? i cant stop wondering... The same with the meego DE team, they had no reason to adapt it to a "dead"(like some people call it, but not me) phone like the n900 yet they chose our phone. To both teams i am trully grateful for the great job you guys are doing.

PS: I see more future in a poll asking people in TMO if we should ban "some_uk" whiner... although in the end my poll will be as useless as this one as i plan on doing nothing with the poll results

Last edited by chan32167; 2011-05-26 at 19:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to chan32167 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
current, daddys ketchup, flog dead horse, give him, just shoot me, must not say no, no argue ok, play nice, situation, yes or highway