Active Topics

OK so I've got the Maemo SDK installed in openSUSE 11.4 x64 (and the Meego SDK installed) in Virtual machines for me to use. Now I understand programming (tis my day job), but only in Java and I understand memory management, pointers etc. all very well and so know the concepts in C well but not the language itself - yet!

I'd like to start to do something with c++, but my limited imagination means I'm not too good at that! So I'm gonna look at some of the brainstorm and try to do something simple (suggestions welcome).

Am I correct in assuming that if I develop and application for Meego I can copy it across to Maemo Qt and just recompile for a Mameo target? (I'm pretty sure the answer to this is yes?)

To install Maemo SDK I followed the instructions here:

http://old-en.opensuse.org/Maemo5

I don't think I have the Maemo Qt libraries installed? Or QtCreator? Can QtCreator be used with Mameo?

Developing for MeeGo/Maemo is not as easy to do as it is for Android - until that changes we are not going to see many Meego/Maemo apps!

Any help from you guys would be most welcome.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
The Xephyr, scratchbox and madde tools is the old way.
The new way is to use the Nokia Qt Tools. Read about it, download it and use it.

You can also use Python with Qt bindings, which doesn't need the Nokia tools.

As always - if you know where to look, the answers are there. Development using Qt is just as easy as on Android.
In fact, if you develop correctly using Qt, it might also be possible to port your app to Android - with little or no modifications.

Enjoy!
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Cheers pal, I'm pretty good with Linux as it's my main OS, so following instructions to install it was not so difficult.

I'll download the Qt SDK and give it a go tonight.

Would you happen to have any suggestions on any of the brainstorm apps to start with?

Try new QtSdk 1.1.1

It has several examples builtin and nice tutorials. If coded well, you can port qt apps on maemo and desktop without changing even 1line of code.