Active Topics

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Sub-Negro View Post
That was a along time ago and this thread is HUGE.
the text goes (GOTO POST #1!!!!!!) so go there, all info needed is posted and linked from there

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
If the text 1200mAh is printed on the metal under the "tape" then the battery is 1200mAh no need to test, they cannot put fake label on the battery.
If your dual japod is worse then there is something wrong with the setup or you have gotten some fake japods....
Well, I wouldn't trust what's written on the can/cell either. In a somewhat revealing move a couple of months ago, hextronic started selling "B-grade" Li-Po. They say "hexTronic usually sells B-grade batteries to smaller vendors who in turn sell online at a discount". I wonder if the cell markings on those are distinguishable from "A-Grade", sounds to me like they're manufactured on the same line with the same process, and some turn out worse than others and fail quality checks... I imagine ebay/dealextreme/etc are full of these kinds of cells from all sorts of manufacturers...

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
the text goes (GOTO POST #1!!!!!!) so go there, all info needed is posted and linked from there
**** I feel like a dumbass again.

Info for everyone that may be interested in buying mugen covers - the're out of stock now, so every order is delaying HUGE amount of time. I ordered mine and payed 09.05.11 - they still don't even start to package my shipment... Also, their info suxx. They told me that they can't ship it to me right now on 18.05.11, only after i asked them why order status is still "Processing" (like when Your payment is just made) - if not for my question, i would be still waiting and wondering why the duck status doesn't change.

I think i don't need to mention that this "company" pissed me really off and i hope for some homebrew (orvjust from more reliable source) replacement for mugen covers... Sorry, putting second battery outside cover and loosing ability to hotswap microSD cards is not for me. In fact i thought about homebrew big cover from stainless steel (i got huge amount from disassembled microwave ovens lying around) before i ordered mugen, but i get no idea how to make good "clickers". If anyone have idea, I'll be most happy to kick mugen @ *** and make better cover myself.

// Edit

I also thought about cannibalize normal N900 backcover just for clickers, but thats is definitely NOT cost-effective...

// Edit

Finally, after i pushed them little further, they shipped my cover today... But, I think that chances that they're out of stock now again are pretty high

Last edited by Estel; 2011-05-24 at 17:40.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Italy
Hello guys,
first thanks to all the people that helped in doing this beautiful modding, without it the N900 can't unleash all his power.

After extensive reading of this thread, i've got my dual scud (the blue one) from Lucia Lui and the Mugen XL cover.

I used electristan's method, because with copper wire i can supply more charge power, since i'm using the 1200mAh charger provided by Nokia.

The battery seems to fit very well, hold in place, the cover closed up without problem.

I've installed the Queen Beacon scripts made by dr_frost_dk, because, from what i understand, the battery reading from the system is not correct, since it stick at 1320mAh as top charge level.

As pointed in some post, i've removed and blacklisted the module bq27x00_battery.

Now i've some question:
1) This night i've charged the phone for about 9hrs, this morning the battery led was green, so i detached the phone from battery charger. The strange thing is that the QBW show me a 80% charge. Is it normal at the first charge?

2) How i can know that i'm using the dual battery? The contact seems correct, but there's a way to prove that the two battery are in parallel? Since my previous battery was 1,5 years old, a single Scud will give a benefit, so i need to know if i'm using really the two battery.

3) Since the stock battery icon in status area is useles, how i can remove it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Last edited by pfontana77; 2011-05-24 at 11:03.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Try to do one more recharge and see if it reaches over 80%, just do it when needed. If it cannot get past 80% then there could be a "loose" connection between your battery's, thats why i made my mod like i did, to avoid any connection problems.

I cannot remember where i removed/moved the file that shuts off the battery icon, but it is nice not to have it, it also removes all the "alarms" and other ignoring noises

NOTE: i will be making a video in the next couple of days on how to make the dual battery like i did.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
I will try it in this night charge, tomorrow i will send a report.

So far seems that the phone used 10% of the battery, is at 70%, with:
1) 3G connection always on with mail check every 30 minutes
2) 30 minutes of skype/gtalk online
3) 1 hour of bluetooth on with headphone connected
4) 30 minutes of web browsing
5) 10 minutes of phone talk.

I'm using power kernel v47, with smartflex on, ulv profile, 125-805 mhz, treshold 90, powersave bias 20.

EDIT:
Remove Vanilla Battery Icon from Status Area and Status Menu

Credits to: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66251

1) Open X-Terminal
2) sudo mv /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-menu/status-area-applet-battery.desktop /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-menu/status-area-applet-battery.backup

Done. Reverse the command for having it again.

Last edited by pfontana77; 2011-05-24 at 14:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to pfontana77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
There is also an app for rapid disabling/enabling of the status area widgets, should be "powatool" if I remember correctly.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pfontana77 View Post
After extensive reading of this thread, i've got my dual scud (the blue one) from Lucia Lui and the Mugen XL cover.
Same here i used 3-pack, much more cost-effective, and You can always sold 3th battery, if You don't want it.

Originally Posted by pfontana77 View Post
I used electristan's method, because with copper wire i can supply more charge power, since i'm using the 1200mAh charger provided by Nokia.
That's not correct statement. First of all, You can always provide much more current (not charge, thing flowing through cable is current, but I'm not sticking to details ) using soldering, that any "plug", even done with pure silver. Soldering involves shallow diffusion, that You get when both soldered media are heated below soldering-media melting temperature (many people mistakes in soldering result in solder acting like glue, WITHOUT that diffusion, what result in so-called "cold solder"), which increases possible current many times. But, with such a low current, You probably won't notice any difference. Anyway, soldering wire is NOT worse than copper wire - soldering wire got very thin layer of silver (i we understand the same thing as solder wire), so its probably even better. Again, no real world difference, if it plug really thick to battery

Anyway, thank You for reading this huge thread, and for overall professional question posting It was just nice to read question asked like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
That's not correct statement. First of all, You can always provide much more current (not charge, thing flowing through cable is current, but I'm not sticking to details ) using soldering, that any "plug", even done with pure silver.
I'm not expert in this field, so i trust what you say. Anyway i still prefer the "plug" method because is not so invasive and because i'm not good at soldering, never soldered anything in my life, and don't want to learn on my preferred phone

Anyway, soldering wire is NOT worse than copper wire - soldering wire got very thin layer of silver (i we understand the same thing as solder wire), so its probably even better. Again, no real world difference, if it plug really thick to battery
Again, i'm not an expert in the field of chemistry and physics, i simple used wikipedia to found the resistivity of that material: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistivity
In the chapter 2 there's a list of material, i compared the Tin with the Copper, and seems that the Copper has much lower resistivity than Tin (soldering wire): 1.68×10^-8 vs 1.09×10^-7 ohm metre. I take this information as is, i don't have an idea how this behavior will apply in our real case, real misuration etc, i used the simple principle low resistivity = better

Probabily, considered how short are the plug cable, you are right in saying that there's no real world difference.

Anyway, thank You for reading this huge thread, and for overall professional question posting It was just nice to read question asked like this.
Thanks to you for the interesting answers

Originally Posted by debernardis
There is also an app for rapid disabling/enabling of the status area widgets, should be "powatool" if I remember correctly.
Thanks, i've installed it, seems simple but it should do the trick. Anyway i still prefer the terminal when i can

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk
Try to do one more recharge and see if it reaches over 80%, just do it when needed. If it cannot get past 80% then there could be a "loose" connection between your battery's, thats why i made my mod like i did, to avoid any connection problems.
In the second charge cycle i've reached 95%, but watching the Battery Graph i've noticed that also in the first cycle i've reach that point, but once the phone was charged, seems that it begin to discharge even if plugged. So, when i unplugged the phone it was discharging from six hours, this explain why it was at 80%. This behaviour is normal?

So, considering this, yesterday the phone last from 2.30 a.m. (when the phone begin to discharge when unplugged) to 9 p.m. around 19 hours, with
1) 3G connection always on with mail check every 30 minutes
2) 120 minutes of skype/gtalk online
3) 90 minutes of bluetooth on with headphone connected
4) 45 minutes of web browsing
5) 30 minutes of phone talk.
6) 40 minutes of gpodder audio streaming
7) 60 minutes with pedometer widget on (used during my daily jogging)

What do you think about this duration?

EDIT: I'm getting confused. Today i charged the phone through USB, after 2 hrs the QBW indicate 90 perc, then in the next 2 hrs it go to 95, with charging led still active. I unplugged the charge, made 20 mins of phone call and the perc go down to 75.

So i disassembled the two battery and put one at time to see the charge. One was at 75 the other at 50, this should not possible if they are connected. So seems that the phone was using only one battery, but this not explain the longer charge period.

Anyway i remade the connection with soldering wire that is more flexible and adaptable, switch on the phone and the charge say 65, that is the average of the two charge that i've detected. So i will test until for two days to see if it work.

Last edited by pfontana77; 2011-05-25 at 19:29.

Tags
battery, battery test, best battery, good bad ugly, modding, mugen battery, scud battery, tool got banned, yasirrfc