Active Topics

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Well my dream option would be something like the Fujitsu loox, keeping the dual OS (i actually like symbian as a pure phone OS) and dumping Winblows 7 for Meego Tablet UX.

i've been looking for a hwkb upgrade for my N900 for a few months as I want to keep the N900 dedicated for Meego DE tinkering (started playing with QT), and I'm unimpressed enough with Android to be very restricted on choice.
ATM the SE Xperia Pro seems like a maybe....
I've had the Desire for a while now but still use the N900 as my main device.

Failing a hwkb option, I'm happy to try the harmattan consumer device (never in a million years could I pass myself off as a dev)

Last edited by onethreealpha; 2011-05-21 at 08:55.

With phones which have at least 3.5" we are already condemned to use both hands for typing messages. So benefit of HW keyboard is faster typing, full sight on the screen and usage of shortcuts.

My girlfriend has LG GT540 and she is significantly slower then me when we chat over Talk. Also she needs constantly to scroll up to read my multiple replies. Probably she will sell GT540 and get phone with HW keyboard. Maybe she will go for second handed N900, because she really likes mine.

As many people here I don't care much about phone's specs. I only expect similar device as N900, but which works much smoother and have better Nokia's support. I would be satisfied just with that if we could upgrade our N900 with new motherboard which will have single core 1.2 GHz CPU, better GPU and 512 MB ram.

Last edited by kolos; 2011-05-21 at 08:57.

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
No hw keyboard?????

Seriously, wtf :/

I'm pretty sure 95% of the community wants a keyboard, why the hell doesn't they just make more of those "developer edition" phones then?

Nokia is really bugging me now.......
I would be surprised if there won't be enough of those phones to cover those 95% of the community.

It is not _that_ large after all. I hope that everyone who really desperately wants one will be able to get one of those devices, but we'll see.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It wouldn't be so bad to know that the keyboard-variant is 'only' meant to be te developer model and so on... Let the masses have their touch screen only candybar... I don't mind.

It's just that I really want the keyboard and chances are I can't just go and buy it somewhere.

Dual Core and giga-/tera-/whatnot-hertz is all nice but not so important. Even with Swype a virtual keyboard is just a very bad comprompise.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I'll keep an open mind towards not having a hardware keyboard. Before I got my N900 I didn't really care if a phone had a keyboard or not, but on the N900 it's just so much easier to get things done with the keyboard, and the things I can do just with the keyboard make it a completely unique mobile experience. It's not just there for quick typing, I can switch through apps with it, open apps, close apps, connect to/disconnect from networks..

However, pretty much all of this is done by community (well, just Matan, actually), and I doubt that the new device would receive the same kind of features even if it did have a keyboard. As such, the only benefit of having a keyboard would be the better typing experience, and since I don't really type that much on the go it isn't a must have for me.

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Haven't read the last 30 or so pages.
But yes, I can now confirm this as well. Everything about the consumer device was new to me, until some minutes ago. All I knew was about the developer device.
There'll be the developer device, which will be distibuted to.. well.. developers^^ For example at the MeeGo Conference (if they didn't changed plans in the last 48 hours).
It's not thrown away money, because it was already produced some time ago and since then it's in Nokias warehouse.
The teaser is neither thrown away money, because the device has to be presented to the community in any way.
It wasn't sold (selling it commercially was the initial plan) because someone decided the OS wasn't ready. That is (among others) also the reason why some high Nokia employees quit their jobs some time ago. (Best regards, if you're reading this, still miss you)

The consumer device won't get a keyboard. It will have better hardware (developer: 1Ghz A8 (but newer production process than the N900, therefore lower battery consumption and higher performance) consumer: Dual Core ST Ericsson). That doesn't mean that the developer device does have bad hardware. I think it's a really amazing and well built device.

edit: btw. I'm in San Francisco atm. Sorry in advanced, probably I can't comment here as much as I'd like to.
this news has made me happy, thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Thank God zehjotkah as confirmed everything I have been claiming perhaps now people will stop questioning my integrity just b/c i would not post sources

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Thank God zehjotkah as confirmed everything I have been claiming perhaps now people will stop questioning my integrity just b/c i would not post sources
While you are at it do you have any kind of time frame for the nonqwerty release or announcement?
If it indeed got different SOC we might have to wait for that for some time, hopefully not though.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
So the question still is for all those people wanting the QWERTY device: How to sign-up for a developer device program, or something similar, to get such a device? What are the possibilities for normal guys like me to buy one, except for waiting until some of them pop up for horrendous prices on eBay?

Any info on that?

The Following User Says Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:
before December 2010, I didnt even know that "Maemo" existed... simply because I never came across a Maemo device either in Nokia store, or a Maemo user... I rarely followed tech-news (yes, true)

In December, my prev. phone (e51) finally broke down, and I entered the tech-space searching for a phone with a good keyboard. And thats where after many searches I came to N900... Went through the OS specs, and it took me hardly one day to be convinced that this was "the one".

True, I came late through the party, and that too through the backdoor (keyboard). Also true that after december, I have been in absolute awe of this device, and this forum.... absolute awe my friends....

Nokia, if it truly listens to its customers, should realize that there are all kinds of people in this world, and if it wants market domination, should sell to all types of people.

Understand that from a UI design perspective, having a HW kb makes matters clumsy when the primary usage is portrait. But still as pointed out somewhere, Nokia should thnk on its feet and stop copying Iphone...

Last edited by IcyMoustache; 2011-05-21 at 09:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland