Active Topics

Posts: 518 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ italy
Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
does it really work ?????????? i have to many mosquitoes in my house and i am going to try it there in the evening
Yes, sure, it works. I was repacking all this night, i searched the help of maefarm creator becose i wanted to create a Real Application not a game. It works

Originally Posted by delmar View Post
I doubt its effcacia and think it's more a gag. I had an application like this in the mythical Nokia 66oo, but had no effect.
dont install it then, how can you doubt about a thing without have a try? i'm telling you that it works, it uses High Notes and mosquitos hear this kind of sounds. First button works sometimes but the Extreme button is for real a good repellent.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
I heard that Mozquitos don't like people who eat Marmite*, can't remember where I heard it, but it was fairly recently (last few months or so). I don't really know if it is true, but I'm a Marmite lover and I never get bitten by insects.

I have just done a search and found this. It might be the B vitamins in Marmite that has the repellent effect.

* For those who don't know, it is a savoury yeast extract spread typically used in sandwiches or toast.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Despite what retsaw is saying i just tested Mosquito's Hunter with no mosquito and :
1- When i press again on classic/extreme i can't pause, there is no stand by option by un-pressing cl./ext.
2- there is a down arrow on the title indicating its a drop menu but when i pressed it nothing happened

The Following User Says Thank You to AgogData For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
I heard that Mozquitos don't like people who eat Marmite*, can't remember where I heard it, but it was fairly recently (last few months or so). I don't really know if it is true, but I'm a Marmite lover and I never get bitten by insects.

I have just done a search and found this. It might be the B vitamins in Marmite that has the repellent effect.

* For those who don't know, it is a savoury yeast extract spread typically used in sandwiches or toast.
You can use also the Listerin.. It works if you use it on one house area, they keep away from there.

The Following User Says Thank You to santiago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
Despite what retsaw is saying i just tested Mosquito's Hunter with no mosquito and :
1- When i press again on classic/extreme i can't pause, there is no stand by option by un-pressing cl./ext.
2- there is a down arrow on the title indicating its a drop menu but when i pressed it nothing happened
can you add a screenshot here?

try to run this on xterm

run-standalone.sh /opt/mosquitos-hunter/launch.sh

and post here the error code..

By the way if you get some errors during the installation with dpkg -i mosquitos-hunter.deb, run

apt-get -f install

and

dpkg --configure -a

Maybe you dont have the right dependemcies

Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
Ah some good feedback!

At the moment it's just a simple toggle between the two, once those mosquitos start singing they won't stop until the app exits :P The pause functionality could be added quite simply though - santiago would you like to practise your coding?

On the button click you just need to check if that mosquito is currently selected and, if so, to stop playing the sound file and to change the button background to the dark colour.

You might want to introduce a new variable, similar to the new soundFile variable, that remembers if it's the classic, the extreme, or no mosquito currently selected. In each play sound method you'd check this new variable, eg

in playClassicSound method

if selectedMosquito variable is not classic (ie. is either none or extreme){
set soundFile = start.wav
set selectedMosquito to classic
set button backgrounds to red/dark grey
}

else (ie. selectedMosquito variable is currently classic, so classic is currently running){
set selectedMosquito to 'none'
stop sound playing
change button background to dark grey color
}
Something like that will enable your users to pause the sound by re-clicking on the button. Let me know if you try it and it doesn't work, we'll soon fix it

Im interested to hear the results of Nicholes experiment. Fortunately we don't have many mosquitos here so i can't test it myself. if only we could have an app to repel cold weather and rain

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Ah some good feedback!

At the moment it's just a simple toggle between the two, once those mosquitos start singing they won't stop until the app exits :P The pause functionality could be added quite simply though - santiago would you like to practise your coding?

On the button click you just need to check if that mosquito is currently selected and, if so, to stop playing the sound file and to change the button background to the dark colour.

You might want to introduce a new variable, similar to the new soundFile variable, that remembers if it's the classic, the extreme, or no mosquito currently selected. In each play sound method you'd check this new variable, eg

Something like that will enable your users to pause the sound by re-clicking on the button. Let me know if you try it and it doesn't work, we'll soon fix it

Im interested to hear the results of Nicholes experiment. Fortunately we don't have many mosquitos here so i can't test it myself. if only we could have an app to repel cold weather and rain
i 'm checking thx
do you think that we ve gotta add this function ? when i close the app sound stops to work, for you it plays in loop?
by the way when i click to close the app, it stops playing the sound i thing Pause/Resume is not needed becouse is not a media player made to make mosquitos dancing,,

Last edited by santiago; 2011-05-19 at 13:20.

Originally Posted by santiago View Post
no. it's made to work in loop just becouse sounds are like of 0.30
sec lenght.. It's not a player, it has to execute the sound in loop, a pause button is not needed. When you want to stop it, you can close the app
Ok but you can easily have both looping and a pause ... a user might need take a break from all the mosquito noise but not want to close the app If you get more user feedback asking for a pause functionality you might want to think about it again

Edit: oh you've changed your post a little.. yep when you exit the app it stops playing all sounds, it would be terrible if the mosquito sound continued to play in a loop long after the app had closed lol! I think what was suggested was a way to stop or pause the sound playing during when the app is open. It's something to think about

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2011-05-19 at 13:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Ok but you can easily have both looping and a pause ... a user might need take a break from all the mosquito noise but not want to close the app If you get more user feedback asking for a pause functionality you might want to think about it again

Edit: oh you've changed your post a little.. yep when you exit the app it stops playing all sounds, it would be terrible if the mosquito sound continued to play in a loop long after the app had closed lol! I think what was suggested was a way to stop or pause the sound playing during when the app is open. It's something to think about
ok we will think about that do u wanna make a mosquito disco? DJ pleasee music

This is a mosquito Dancer from Italian's Got Talent
Attached Images