Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Ever wish you could control your Android device from your browser? No? Too bad!

LazyDroid is what you *didn't* want:

http://lifehacker.com/5801753/lazydr...ur-web-browser

Pretty neat -- wreaks of novelty, though there could be some cool uses.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Ok, here it is. The Samsung Galaxy S II review from GSM Arena.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i910...review-597.php

GSM Arena does very thorough reviews, and the Galaxy S II gets top marks all around.

From the review:
Absurdly powerful and having a one-of-a-kind screen – the Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II is an easy phone to recommend. But that’s one thing you don’t need to do. Its reputation precedes it. The Galaxy II succeeds where previous dual-core droids have failed and provides the most complete smartphone experience to date.
This is the phone to beat this year. Period.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Looking to install netflix on your device, but are lacking official support?

How to install Netflix on almost any Android Device

http://lifehacker.com/5801720/how-to...android-device

Have at it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Make Magazine has an article on Android Open Accessories and Arduino.

Why Google Choosing Arduino Matters and is This the End of “Made for iPod” (TM)?

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/201...r-ipod-tm.html

A very interesting read.
Smartest move.. EVER. Apple's proprietary port on everything from alarm clocks to even automobiles was starting to really piss me off. :P Mostly BECAUSE they're proprietary. Why would anybody want to promote that? The good thing about Arduino is the open and free nature of that architecture.

Here's a neat video of an alarm clock hack using a Nexus One:
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sAvXCfEj3s
This, I want. I could actually literally use THAT alarm clock and functionality right now. I would buy it if someone sold that to work with my Droid.

This is a mega-bomb. Apparently it is rumored that Amazon has a whole FAMILY of devices headed for market this holiday:

http://androidandme.com/2011/05/news...-this-holiday/

Amazon is going to take Google head-on with its own OS! This is mighty exciting!
I'm not sure that I want their device if it doesn't come blessed by Google. Think about updates and compatibility, even the Open Accessories and all that.. I'm not sure I think it'd smart. But! It'll be interesting to see nonetheless. I suppose I could be persuaded if it was unlocked, open and very hackable, though.. but Amazon hasn't had a particularly positive history for that.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
This Galaxy II is teasing. I want it. I want it now. I don't like android that much but the hardware seems top notch. I could live with android, maybe I could learn developing on that, and ubuntu is easy to run in a chroot. I don't know if I am able to wait for the Harmattan N950 device. I might buy the Galaxy II and forget about Nokia, Maemo, Meego and all this pitiful suffering of the last year. Pass to the dark side of the force, maybe it's not that bad.
When is the Galaxy II due to deliver in Europe?
Sorry for the stream of consciousness but I'm sure you can understand me.
It certainly feels like it's still a long, long way from now that the Galaxy S II is far, far away. Doesn't it?

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Keep us posted, I'd love to try on either my Vibrant or S7 (both running 2.2).
At least one users has the Netflix APK working on his device:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7CY2SaKrtU

I don't see any howto links though, but it is encouraging.
Yeah, I suspect there's a trick that can be done with the /system/build.prop file, from what I'm reading, where you fool the apps/market into thinking you have a different device. I didn't need to do this trick on my Droid and haven't had time to try it myself yet.. but I will be trying it sometime today to see if it'll work for me too. There's a whole discussion about this at that xda forum link in that article I posted. Here's a link to a particularly good page from that thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1076095&page=5

Bon appetite!

Edit: JUST saw your post from Lifehacker! VERY nice! ...and worth re-pasting it everywhere!! heheh http://lifehacker.com/5801720/how-to...android-device
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Smartest move.. EVER. Apple's proprietary port on everything from alarm clocks to even automobiles was starting to really piss me off. :P Mostly BECAUSE they're proprietary. Why would anybody want to promote that? The good thing about Arduino is the open and free nature of that architecture.
I agree. The article criticizes google for going around a perfectly good protocol for something that requires the latest Android version, but I trust Google's vision.

I would rather have innovation that mindless rehashing.

This, I want. I could actually literally use THAT alarm clock and functionality right now. I would buy it if someone sold that to work with my Droid.
I would love something like this as well. Seriously. I can think of more than a few docks that I would really kill to have.

I'm not sure that I want their device if it doesn't come blessed by Google. Think about updates and compatibility, even the Open Accessories and all that.. I'm not sure I think it'd smart. But! It'll be interesting to see nonetheless. I suppose I could be persuaded if it was unlocked, open and very hackable, though.. but Amazon hasn't had a particularly positive history for that.
After seeing the S II, and the Tab 8.9, I'm not really interested in any other devices. However, this is a MAJOR industry piece of news, and that makes it very interesting. This will be the first company to completely circumvent the Android market with a similar offering (Amazon apps, music, vod, cloud, etc) and a huge user base to pitch to.

Where it will be interesting is if they start innovating on top of Android to include features that aren't available with a Google sanctioned device. This will cause a bit of a split in the industry, though it's really interesting to see how it all shakes down. Android is so large now, and growing so quickly that this type of thing was bound to happen, and will likely happen again.

That's the thing about open source... You have to accept that people will do something that was never intended! That's also the beauty of it.

It certainly feels like it's still a long, long way from now that the Galaxy S II is far, far away. Doesn't it?
Yes... Yes it does

Yeah, I suspect there's a trick that can be done with the /system/build.prop file, from what I'm reading, where you fool the apps/market into thinking you have a different device. I didn't need to do this trick on my Droid and haven't had time to try it myself yet.. but I will be trying it sometime today to see if it'll work for me too. There's a whole discussion about this at that xda forum link in that article I posted. Here's a link to a particularly good page from that thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1076095&page=5

Bon appetite!

Edit: JUST saw your post from Lifehacker! VERY nice! ...and worth re-pasting it everywhere!! heheh http://lifehacker.com/5801720/how-to...android-device
I posted that one for you!

Enjoy your netflix!

I posted that one for you!

Enjoy your netflix!
Doesn't work, though. I tried several different edits (mainly trying to stay with the Nexus S, so it at least seems Samsungish) but nothing seemed to work. I'd like to know what that guy used. The other thing I don't like about that is that I would need to switch constantly between build.prop files to retain the Samsung Galaxy Tab identity. Hmmm....
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Doesn't work, though. I tried several different edits (mainly trying to stay with the Nexus S, so it at least seems Samsungish) but nothing seemed to work. I'd like to know what that guy used. The other thing I don't like about that is that I would need to switch constantly between build.prop files to retain the Samsung Galaxy Tab identity. Hmmm....
Ahhhh... Sorry to hear that. It seems like a hack at best to spoof your device's identity and not terribly practical in the long run. I suppose waiting for official support is the best option.

I'm surprised that Netflix didn't target Dalvik as that would have given them the most compatibility and smallest amount of work/support. Perhaps they needed NEON or something...

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
"Amazon could definitely match that $249 price point with a 6 inch color tablet,"
This further fuels my obsession with a maximum screened pocketable device. Honeycomb provides for the buttons to be activated on the screen so there is no need for a wasted oversize bezel area.

Keep the bezel the same minimum size all round and you have a 6" device that corresponds pretty well to the overall dimensions of a Dell 5" Streak.

Oh my
Finally someone here gets it.
You cannot get rid of bezels, they help you hold the device without accidentally triggering a touch response, and offer protection to the edge/side of the screen (which is the weakspot, believe it or not).

But they dont have to be as jumbo as they are, see the Galaxy S phone, on the vertical sides the bezel is a matter of mm's, this can be applied to tablets. I'd prefer a size which is 2/3's the size of the iPads bezel for balanced comfort and portability.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Finally someone here gets it.
You cannot get rid of bezels, they help you hold the device without accidentally triggering a touch response, and offer protection to the edge/side of the screen (which is the weakspot, believe it or not).

But they dont have to be as jumbo as they are, see the Galaxy S phone, on the vertical sides the bezel is a matter of mm's, this can be applied to tablets. I'd prefer a size which is 2/3's the size of the iPads bezel for balanced comfort and portability.
I like bezels, myself, for exactly those same reasons. I'm not sure why you think someone here "finally" gets it. heheh

So there is an increase in Android as a viable gaming system.
This new device is for those looking for some tactile fun on the go!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/14/m...pades-to-andr/
Too bad it doesn't have the left D-pad, or the right joystick, or the quad-shoulder-pads.
Yeah it sort of has half a gamepad *rollseyes*
Still it might be worth for some psx titles if this device packs enough horses.

Last edited by Kangal; 2011-05-15 at 00:52.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy