Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Anybody has one of these, 512 MB froyo tablet? Comment? I cannot find them in a reputable vendor; all these vendor sounds like scam stores .

Freescale Apad IMX515 ARM Cortex A8 8" Android 2.2 Tablet 1GHZ 512MB

http://www.bigboxstore.com/freescale...with-wifi.html $177
http://www.vostrostone.com/8-android...dr2-p-203.html $208

Down to earth question, you sent them $, would they ship :-) ?

bun

well the name of the website is pathetic big box store what the hell hahaha

chineese website. Chineese address.
at the bottom it says © 2009 BigBox Store Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
its 2011

the other website isnt working for me

More info here, http://www.slatedroid.com/unlisted-c...515-cortex-a8/

Somebody is buying it and the review is a mix at best.

bun

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
bun-

Have you looked at a Huawei S7?

I picked up one last week. Little pricier @ $300, but you get 3G and someplace to easily return it. Little better on the specs too.

1GHz snapdragon (768MHz on bestbuy firmware, 1GHz on other firmware), 512MB, GPS, phone, etc, 800x480 resistive, trackpad, 2x cameras. Only downside is 2.1 (although 2.2 is rumored).

I installed new firmware, rooted, setup apps2sd by hand. Not too bad, nice to use. Cameras suck, but it's only 2MP, fixed focus. Emotion OS overlay isn't bad, widgets won't work with other launchers.

Last edited by lemmyslender; 2011-01-17 at 21:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
I think this one is slightly better value than the Huwei S7.
The Huwei has some community work behind it and has some more features (phone, GPS, WIFIn, camera, microUSB) and you can return it (ie Best Buy).
But the Herotab (the one in the first post) is slightly better in that its a little larger (8" 4:3 vs 7" 16:9) and it has a higher resolution screen (800x600 vs 800x480) and bigger battery (4200mAh vs 2200mAh) and it has 4GB of ROM (vs a measley 512MB) ... and its cheaper (~$180 vs $300).

But one major drawback is the lack of multitouch, the lesser-sensitive screen (need to touch harder during swipes) and their rapidly-aging processors.
A tablet that makes more sense to buy would be the Advent Vegeta(UK) or the Viewsonic G-Tablet ... or an upgraded (Asian) model the Malata Zpad.
The Notion Ink Adam currently is a rip-off when considering it has only one advantage (PixelQi) and 3 main disadvantages (no 800pHD display, no 1GB RAM for hi-performance, no Google Apps) ... at a release time/price competing with the iPad, iPad2, Playbook, Honeycombe tablets!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Kangal,

You may have mis-read some descriptions. From the links in the first post, the tablet bunason was looking at:
512MB memory, 4GB storage
touchscreen is resistive

I realize the S7 is more expensive, but you get the same 512MB memory, 8GB of storage (4GB more), same resistive screen technology. Plus you get GPS, the ability for phone calls and cellular data, and native access to the apps Market (no trickery involved).

The linked tablet does have a bigger battery, the S7 is user replaceable.

Size-wise, I can slip the S7 in my back pocket. Don't think you'll be able to do that with an 8" tablet, so it depends on your use case (I'd have preferred the resolution of the Galaxy Tab, but that's $600).

Depends on what bunason is looking for. I hadn't seen many mentions of the S7 on TMO, figured it was similar, with some additional features (for some additional money). Might be what he's looking for, might not.

I considered the G-Tablet, but decided against it. Too big, I wanted a 7" tablet not 10" (portability), no GPS, no native Market. The S7 with the new version of Maps works great for navigation, even without 3G data. I think it's a great compromise between phone size (3.5 -4") and a huge 10" tablet blocking half the dash or window.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
No I read them correctly, exactly what you said.
But the discrepancy is the Herotab comes with: 512MB RAM, 4GB ROM (which is NAND), microSD slot.
VS the S7 which has 512MB RAM, 512MB NAND, 8GB inbuilt SDcard, microSD slot.

NAND is faster which means, theoretically, Apps would run faster.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
If I had to choose, I would choose the following site. It has branch offices in several places (including U.S.) and offers customer reviews of the product.

http://www.dinodirect.com/tablet-pc-...html?affid=295

The Following User Says Thank You to ch88xy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ch88xy View Post
If I had to choose, I would choose the following site. It has branch offices in several places (including U.S.) and offers customer reviews of the product.

http://www.dinodirect.com/tablet-pc-...html?affid=295
You have good experience with dinodirect, or you heard good thing about this vendor?

my biggest complaint about my android tablet, a81e, is the 256 MB RAM limitation. It severely limits your app installation. this defeats the fun of android, thousands of free apps. I tried the app2SD, it helps only a tiny bit, not much. I also try to move apps manually to SD by making a 2G space. For some reason, it works for a couple of days beatifully, and all of a sudden, all the apps will stop running, requiring a reflash! I do not have this problem with the Nitdroid. The Nitdroid is a MUCH better android then my native android tablet, kudo to the Nitdroid team!

Sizewise: 6" is my size, over 5" over 7" over 8", would NOT consider 10".

To me, 800 X 600 4:3 is the same as 800 X 480 16:9. No?

my experience with android tab shopping: wait for honeycomb. froyo is a phone OS, not prime tine yet for tablet.

post from N900

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-01-20 at 10:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
No, I have no experience dealing with dinodirect. But the other vendors you mentioned show only one address in China. Dinodirect however shows contact addresses in U.S, Canade, Europe, From a commonsense standpoint, it seems more reliable. The deal was listed in a deal/coupon site, that's how I heard about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ch88xy For This Useful Post: