Active Topics

Hello guys, this is my first post after having my new N900 for a few weeks. I'm a simple user, no developer at all, and little linux knowledge.... sorry for that, but I do like this community, its commitment, its freedom and the fresh air it breaths, being a primal cause to finally get involved with the N900 and Maemo.

My question. I use Joikuspot on weekends in order to get internet connection for my laptop.To get it working I have to do some previous steps before launching Joiku:

1. Block the phone on 3g mode.
2. Go to callforwarding and set it to receive my calls on my home phone.
3. Deactivate wlan automatic search
4. Launch Joikuspot

To get a normal setup, when weekend is over, I have to revert previous steps.

So, is there a way to get this automated? Maybe a script?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Germany
I don't own Joikuspot but i'm considiering to purchase it.
I wonder why these steps are necessary? Can't joikuspot be used and incomming calls be accepted at the same time, i.e. surf & speak in parallel?

Thanks,
nexus

Originally Posted by Architrion View Post
1. Block the phone on 3g mode.
2. Go to callforwarding and set it to receive my calls on my home phone.
3. Deactivate wlan automatic search
4. Launch Joikuspot
These shouldn't be necessary - report them to Joiku as bugs.

Originally Posted by nexus101 View Post
I don't own Joikuspot but i'm considiering to purchase it.
I wonder why these steps are necessary? Can't joikuspot be used and incomming calls be accepted at the same time, i.e. surf & speak in parallel?

Thanks,
nexus
Yes you can surf + speak in parallel when on 3G - I use my phone with a BT headset while Joiku is running.

Yes, you can.... phone uses 2g network to manage voice calls and 3g to internet traffic.

But in my case, my weekend home is on a small town, with average 3g signal. Furthermore my house is stone built, massive stone walls. So I only have 3g signal on a room of the first level, while I usually work on floor level. So I forward my calls to my home phone which is next to me, in order to avoid climbing stairs and running to the room where I have the N900 working as a wifi hotspot.

Yes, I know is a little bit of a mess.

By the way, run for the Joikuspot. It's unvaluable, and now it's only at 5 € on ovi store. I paid 9 for mine (although you can find it free on the net if you want...). I never have regreated of buying it.

Marlon, it's not a bug, it's because my average 3g signal....
1. If I don't block 3g, the phone switches to 2g network because it's a stronger signal.
2. I have to forward calls because I have the phone situated on an specific room where I have enough 3g signal
3. wlan automated detection has to be off, because it deactivates Joikuspot (as Joiku support service has said to me)

Yes, I know this mess is something very specific to my single case. That's why I am wondering if is there is an automated way to make a setup for Joiku.