Active Topics

[gv data="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IALqu7EKUTw"][/gv] A walkthrough video of Intel's upcoming Mobile Internet Device (MID) gives us a glimpse of Intel's Master User Interface (MUI) -- a custom finger friendly user interface that looks like it was patterned from the iPhone. It also shows fast playback of YouTube videos which is benefiting from Flash 9. Other promising features such as tabbed browsing, better looking file browser, a finger friendly image viewer, and a satellite map viewer. It is also mentioned at the end that it will be using an Intel processor and a new Linux distro called RedFlag MIDINUX.
Read the full article.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Looks a lot like maemo, although, I'm impressed with its ability to handle so many tasks at once without slowing down. Now if they can just make a very enticing shell, have it come with a 770-like cover, have an attachable or built-in thumb board, and still have great battery life, I'd be sold.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
The GUI looks very slick - something I'm sure Nokia could do if they had the resources, the fact they don't will hurt them in the long run as given the choice the Intel device looks good and could match the N800 form factor. The benefit of x86 is clear with the availablity of Flash 9 and support for more codecs, and no doubt Intel are making full use of any 3D and other hardware they have at their disposal, another lesson Nokia could learn before it's too late.

And tabbed browsing - again, something Nokia could have today if they put resources into Minimo instead of the proprietary Opera cr@p.

Ultimately the Intel MID looks better than the Nokia effort, and could be my next device instead of the N900 (depending on size/weight/cost/battery life). Maybe there's still time for Nokia to change my mind!

The sheer speed was what impressed me, although I'd have to see what real-world battery life was like as well as finished device size.
Really, anything bigger than the current N800 is a no-go for me, I travel enough as it is with a Macbook Pro and N800.
The thing in his hand looks too big for my tastes. But I'm digging the built-in camera and full-on YouTube (Flash9) support.
But like already posted, if Nokia would get their act together a little more on the browser and Flash support in the N800 then it would fare a little better against the bigger, more powerful MIDINUX devices.
But good Lord look at the speed!

This looks very good, but I don't think it is fair to compare it to the N800.
The N800 is a real product that you can buy already.
I believe the Intel product are scheduled for 2008 release. A LOT can happen in a year. If you look at the difference between the N800 and the 770, that was a year of work at Nokia.

I'll bet that the next Nokia tablet will look a lot like this Intel MID (performance wise) .

I love the Opera browser, and I don't think that "tabbed browsing" is an advantage on such a small screen.

I do think it is a good idea to switch to x86, because it opens the door to a lot of (non open source) software.

True on the time aspect. Right now it's fast, but if it gets bloated with useless applications/features that slow it down or kill it's portability (battery life) then it's worthless.
If Nokia goes with the same processor that this thing is using in the next internet tablet "revision" and keep the same form-factor then it could be pretty kick-***.
Of course, then we see a repeat of the N770-to-N800 complaints about abandoning programming/fixing the N770 in favor of the N800.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I'm a bit disappointed, I'd have expected something better after the initial press releases. The UI looks inconsistent and confusing; the device is much bigger than I'd expected from the pictures... too big for little 770-spoiled me.

The x86 will be a additional disadvantage if rumors are true that even the new Intel chips will consume 2-3 times as much power than the ones Nokia chose for the IT-line.

Still, they have time to improve and I'm looking forward to an expanding market for this species.

Last edited by benny1967; 2007-05-06 at 13:09.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
That's the response of screen clicks you would expect from a browsing device. At the moment this goes on sale, my N800 will become a nice desktop clock or something.
Intel give a nice demonstration of a proper fast Linux device. As Milhouse expects, Nokia won't free the resources (fast enough or at all) to counter this device so it's Internet Tablet platform is doomed.

Nokia dissapointed me with the N770/N800 series, so the minute it hits the stores I'll have an Intel.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Since the device in the video is nothing more than a reference (ie. development) platform it's unlikely that shipping devices will look anything like this unit. Much of the weight might be taken up by the battery if the power consumption of the new Intel CPU isn't brought closer to an ARM CPU (I've heard that ARM CPUs tick over using mili-watts of power while the lowest low power Intel CPU ticks over at about 4 watts...)

Hopefully the shipping devices (from who remains to be seen - Asus? Samsung?) will be smaller and similar in size to the N800, and a 770-style hard cover would be icing on the cake!

I'm not sure Nokia will switch from ARM to x86 any time soon - they can build the N800 at low cost because many of the components are already used in Nokia smartphones and thus purchased in vast quantities at low cost. Since Nokia don't make any devices with the upcoming 45nm x86 compatible CPU (I understand it's not the full deal and is somewhere between a Pentium M and Core CPU) their costs will increase and x86 may not be compatible with some other standard phone/IT components, further increasing cost. Then there is the software and emotional cost associated with changing platform...

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-05-06 at 12:24.

It may inspire PocketPC makers to release Linux powered versions of their PPCs. When that happens, Nokia will have too many competitors...