Active Topics

Hi,

I would like to know if brainstorm is taken into consideration in the development of the N900 maemo5.

The reason why I am asking is because in PR1.2, it is stated that only bugs will be fixed. Can we expect new features from the brainstorm, too?

There are important ideas like improving the phone experience, and providing updates as bugs get fixed... etc.

Can we expect that in PR 1.2?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by ChadiM View Post
Hi,

I would like to know if brainstorm is taken into consideration in the development of the N900 maemo5.

The reason why I am asking is because in PR1.2, it is stated that only bugs will be fixed. Can we expect new features from the brainstorm, too?

There are important ideas like improving the phone experience, and providing updates as bugs get fixed... etc.

Can we expect that in PR 1.2?

Thanks.
Have a look at the pr 1.2 changelog

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
I have know knowledge, except life experienced. The brainstorm section is on the surface a crowd sousing innovation hub. My experience tells me it is a fake democracy there contributing citizens get told to go to shut them up.

The Following User Says Thank You to timwatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
I have know knowledge, except life experienced. The brainstorm section is on the surface a crowd sousing innovation hub. My experience tells me it is a fake democracy there contributing citizens get told to go to shut them up.
Yea, I agree.

Originally Posted by ChadiM View Post
Check the status. The situation for "Implemented" is exactly the same as what I posted nearly two months ago. "In development" is even worse with just 10 ideas from which only 6 are being developed by Nokia, and only one ("Portrait mode support to the browser") with a target milestone for Fremantle.

If Nokia are paying any attention to brainstorm they are being very coy about it. To me it seems like little more than a euphemism for WONTFIX.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The problem with brainstorm, IMHO, is that nobody feels responsible for it.

It was my perception (very subjective, and I'm almost certain that I hear the ice cracking under my feet as I type here) that it was created with the intention to get rid of end-users in bugzilla. They didn't want generic "Why isn't the N900 as good as the N95?" type of "bugs" there, they still didn't want to close them INVALID... so they came up with brainstorm. They directed everything that wasn't technically a bug report to this place... and forgot about it. The place as well as the enhancement request.

This isn't bad as such. I hear it works in other communities. You can have a brainstorm area and make something constructive of it. What you'd need, though, is clear responsibility. People have to be responsible for brainstorm - and those who are not have to communicate clearly they aren't (in order not to create false expectations).

The way I see it, Nokia doesn't feel responsible. They don't communicate that, though, so a lot of end users are p'ssed because they still wait and wait for Nokia to implement the ideas.

What I think happens meanwhile is that Nokia looks at brainstorm and wonders why the community isn't able to do something with all the ideas there. Why don't developers include proposed functionalities into their existing applications? Why doesn't anybody write an application to implement solution #3 in this and that brainstorm?

The question is - is the community aware that it is their job and not Nokia's? Or do community developers look at brainstorm, see the proposed solutions and say "Well, too bad, that would have been a nice application for me to try- but now probably Nokia will implement this in the next firmware release"?

So what I'd suggest for brainstorm is a large banner on top:
"Don't wait for Nokia to implement any of this. Look through all these ideas and implement one of them yourself."

Plus a monthly report of active/new brainstorms to the developer mailing list, just like the bug jar... Written as an invitation to adopt ideas.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
moved to Community (not a Brainstorm item)