Active Topics

Hi all,

suddenly the mmc card is mounted as read only on my 770! My current setup has been working for about 8 months without problems. Rebooting does not help and remounting the card requires swap on mmc to be turned off, which does not seem to be possible anymore either (memory control panel gives "Unable to remove virtual memory"). Mounting the mmc card via usb to my computer also gives a read only mount.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Sounds like your MMC card may be corrupt - have you tried reformatting it?

Yup, that's a default mechanism of Linux when it sees bad clusters on a drive, it puts the drive into Read Only, of course in this case the drive refers to the memory card. Try reformatting the card.

The Following User Says Thank You to bac522 For This Useful Post:
I couldn't reformat it from the 770 since it was impossible to turn off swap. So I did it with cfdisk from my linux box via usb instead. Now it works again, I just hope it will continue to do so. Thanks for the advice!

I'm thinking of getting the Kingston 2GB card, but then I need to reflash with a newer kernel and redo all the configs and tweaks. No time for that now...

Actually, it could be a bug. My N800 have acted similarly once. I have my N800 booted off the internal 8G SDHC, but one time, after coming out of sleep, the initfs was mounted as read-only, both /media/mmc1 and mmc2 are mounted, but running mount reported as initfs=rw and only mmc1 mount, not mmc2. Got it reboot, and that fix it.