Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
The Situation

I was experiencing problems with my call volume being rediculously low and dropping off entirely. I waited patently for PR 1.0, PR 1.1, and Finally PR 1.1.1 with no resulting change.

After a small bout of separation anxiety, I took my phone to UPS, and they not only verified that there was no water damage or physical damage, then took my precious N900 after verifying my name as well as my device's IMEI.

I check nokia.com for the repair status only to find that they are claiming that my phone is out of warranty and thus can not be repaired for free.

The Question

Is anyone else taking emaculate care of their phone, sending it back to Nokia via UPS (as per their instructions) only to have them claim that the phone is out of warranty?

The Frustration
I am told (after the first representative deliberately hangs up on me and asking to speak to a manager directly the second time) that even if I file a claim as damaged upon receipt, UPS would only reimburse me 100 dollars, so any repairs beyond that and I am screwed. I am also told that even filing the claim, my local UPS store has no specific time constraints on when to comply, so if it takes them a day or a week I can do nothing but nag.

Nokia customer service is currently closed, so I was unable to dispute anything today. Rest assured, however, I will be giving them a call tomorrow.

Even if I decided to throw in the towel and just pay whatever repair costs they subject me to, I am then stuck with an expensive phone that is out of warranty three months after use, though it has been very well taken care of (again, a fact that was verified by a UPS employee before shipping).

Even if this does end well, I can guarantee that this will be the last nokia phone I ever purchase, not that Nokia gives a damn.

Even if this does end well, I am fairly certain I won't buy another nokia product. It depends on whether or not other manufacturers release Meebo phones or not. At the very least, I will be more cautious and less enthusiastic about a purchase.

Last edited by aspidites; 2010-02-22 at 17:22.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
take the n900 to a nokia care centre direct. someone has screwed something somewhere lol. the lowest warranty you should have is 1 year no way you could be out of warranty, that is stupid.

unless your a time traveller from the future???????

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
..and if you are, does Maemo6/Meego ever make it to the N900???
(Sorry, I couldn't help myself )

That's unfortunate you're having so much trouble getting Nokia to honor your warranty, I hope it all works out for you

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
take the n900 to a nokia care centre direct. someone has screwed something somewhere lol. the lowest warranty you should have is 1 year no way you could be out of warranty, that is stupid.

Unfortunately there isn't a repair center close to me. I have sent them a rather nasty (though articulate) email detailing my request for resolution. While I am thoroughly pissed, I am hoping my frustration is at least vented coherently...

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Just register the phone online and send it by mail. Works best for me. Done many times over the years.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
The Situation

I was experiencing problems with my call volume being rediculously low and dropping off entirely. I waited patently for PR 1.0, PR 1.1, and Finally PR 1.1.1 with no resulting change.

After a small bout of separation anxiety, I took my phone to UPS, and they not only verified that there was no water damage or physical damage, then took my precious N900 after verifying my name as well as my device's IMEI.

I check nokia.com for the repair status only to find that they are claiming that my phone is out of warranty and thus can not be repaired for free.

The Question

Is anyone else taking emaculate care of their phone, sending it back to Nokia via UPS (as per their instructions) only to have them claim that the phone is out of warranty?

The Frustration
I am told (after the first representative deliberately hangs up on me and asking to speak to a manager directly the second time) that even if I file a claim as damaged upon receipt, UPS would only reimburse me 100 dollars, so any repairs beyond that and I am screwed. I am also told that even filing the claim, my local UPS store has no specific time constraints on when to comply, so if it takes them a day or a week I can do nothing but nag.

Nokia customer service is currently closed, so I was unable to dispute anything today. Rest assured, however, I will be giving them a call tomorrow.

Even if I decided to throw in the towel and just pay whatever repair costs they subject me to, I am then stuck with an expensive phone that is out of warranty three months after use, though it has been very well taken care of (again, a fact that was verified by a UPS employee before shipping).

Even if this does end well, I can guarantee that this will be the last nokia phone I ever purchase, not that Nokia gives a damn.
Why is UPS liable?

SLN member # 009

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Why is UPS liable?
they must deal with nokia during a certian period. probley just an extra service.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
all the best bud

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
The service department was previously called "Nokia Cares".
However they were forced to change the name, as it was clearly misleading.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
My N900 is getting some repairs as well, for the same reasons as yours is, by the way. I think my problem is a faulty speaker component.

I had the exact same problem on my 5800XM and atleast that went under warranty no sweat, a year after purchase.

You have a two year guarantee, nobody can take that away from you and Nokia's phones always have 2 years. It's just that if they think you've broken your device, then that naturally isn't covered by the guarantee. So I think they think that you're responsible for the damage.

The thing about sending devices by mail is always a bit risky IMO, because if it breaks inside the UPS package, then nobody can prove for certain when the device broke. I always haul my devices to a local Care Point and leave it there.