Active Topics

This is a few days old, but I didn't find a mention of it here yet... Google says Nexus Two / a second Google Nexus phone will not be coming.

"The idea a year and a half ago was to do the Nexus One to try to move the phone platform hardware business forward. It clearly did. It was so successful, we didn’t have to do a second one."

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/07/02...not-happening/

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
Originally Posted by volt View Post
"The idea a year and a half ago was to do the Nexus One to try to move the phone platform hardware business forward. It clearly did. It was so successful, we didn’t have to do a second one."
This would never be a good reason for a company, because its purpose is to earn money. What must have happened: they had more headaches with this device than they planned for, and couldn't support it as well as a third-party vendor.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
In Google's case, I bet it's true.

Their core business is still the services behind the facade that we see. Not handsets nor even smartphone platform.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Yeah, I think it's at least part true. Mobile browsers a year and a half ago: not very good tools for Google to make money though. With Android and a much better mobile internet experience, Google can keep making money as people move parts of their internet time away from computer screens.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
The main thing is they shouldn't (and don't want to) be in competition with their own partners/distributors: the other Android handset makers.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Tags
nexus two