Active Topics

Hi, I have been using the N900 for four days. Today, after the phone had been resting for some hours, I turned on a wlan connection, with my AP. As it was connecting my N900 froze and didn't react. It was in this state for several minutes, with me trying to get the phone to react. On occasion it switched frames, showing that it partially was still active, just really slow, yet looked like it was dead (as if the image was frozen). [Scrolling through the desktop, switching applications or using the touchscreen appeared to be non-functional.]

Eventually I pulled out the battery, which I've read clears the data in the ram, and turned the phone on again. The phone was usable, but was clearly slower, as the smooth animations were lagging.

I noticed that the memory card was not recognized as the right format by the N900. The memory card was apparently "corrupt".

I backed everything up and reinstalled the maemo 5 OS.

The phone appeared to be working as normal at its convenient speed. Thus I restored my applications. Now I saw that the memory card was recognized and the old files were still there.

At the moment the phone still works fine, yet I wonder what happened and why my N900, after four days of usage, "crashed". Is it still maemo 5 that is not so stable, as it appears to be, and others have thus experienced similar problems?

Is it a hardware defect? I notice that my tablet sometimes makes a clicking noice when it opens the virtual keyboard, which I thought to be normal.

The only software I have that is not considered stable - testing apps - is Media Box Media Center and rootsh.

I am considering of switching the N900 with my retailer, as I still have guarantee on it. But if it is a common problem I might as well not, since another device wouldn't solve it.

It is just shocking to see the phone crash after four days, even though it appeared to be stable.

I hope to get some cheering responses and am grateful for your answers.

all the bests,

Fred

Anyone ?