Active Topics

Notices

hi!

is there any pdf reader supporting the "fit to screen" function like the browser. it should split the long rows to keep the text still fitting to the screen size...

thanks for your answers!

lg disch

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Do you mean "reflow" (i.e. the reader reformats the lines with new line breaks)?

I don't know of any pdf readers that do that but some e-book readers do.

yep, that's what i'm searching for...

the adobe acrobat reader for pocketpc does this job perfect. i read some ebooks on a 320x240 pocket pc, it was acceptable with this feature.

disch

The Following User Says Thank You to disch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
it won't affect the original position of the words, but evince will read .pdf's and has a zoom to page width option.

hmm i had already tried evince. i think it would be much better than the original pdf reader, cause it's faster, scroll from page to page and has more zoom levels (very imporftant!!) but it seems buggy and crashes very often.

are there any alternatives or more stable versions?

disch

Last edited by disch; 2008-12-16 at 03:30.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I don't recall having any problems with evince. Slow sometimes, but that might have also been processor spikes from other apps in the background.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
It would be really important a massive voting to this bug: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=761

Perhaps, they add this functionality to the builtin pdf reader.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Hello, all!

What is current situation with this feature?
I have a lot of PDFs and it is not comfortable to scroll each time in zoomed text How do you read complex PDFs?

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by oxdef View Post
Hello, all!

What is current situation with this feature?
I have a lot of PDFs and it is not comfortable to scroll each time in zoomed text How do you read complex PDFs?
I hear your complaints about the scroll left-right-left-right issue when trying to read pdfs. Basically, it's either squint or scroll...

Or, you can use Calibre (on a desktop computer) to convert those PDFs to epub format and then use FBreader on the tablet... set your font to whatever, maybe adjust the margins, it remembers where you left off on the book, can rotate the display (which, oddly enough, makes for easier reading), allows multiple books at the same time...

I just tried it with a text document, worked well enough. The magazine scan, not so good. So, if there's text to convert, then you can massage it into FBreader and it's great. If the source is a picture, rather than text, then it's a little more complicated, with OCR and the like.

While it doesn't quite answer your question, abandoning PDF will get you where you want.

David...

Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
I hear your complaints about the scroll left-right-left-right issue when trying to read pdfs. Basically, it's either squint or scroll...

Or, you can use Calibre (on a desktop computer) to convert those PDFs to epub format and then use FBreader on the tablet... set your font to whatever, maybe adjust the margins, it remembers where you left off on the book, can rotate the display (which, oddly enough, makes for easier reading), allows multiple books at the same time...

I just tried it with a text document, worked well enough. The magazine scan, not so good. So, if there's text to convert, then you can massage it into FBreader and it's great. If the source is a picture, rather than text, then it's a little more complicated, with OCR and the like.

While it doesn't quite answer your question, abandoning PDF will get you where you want.

David...
Yes, you understand me correctly. Thanks for advice about EPUB format! But it seems that FBreader is not support images in it? I just convert some PDFs to EPUB using Calibre and tried to view it in FBreader. There are not any images