Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
http://jkontherun.com/2009/05/25/lit...op-in-the-sky/

The whole rf interference allegations are overblown. I use my bt keyboard on the plane too...

I pinged Qole for this back last year

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=25567

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sigh. Yes, and now I've been caught!

I'm posting this from the airplane criminals' jail. Free WiFi!

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I've got bail, Qole.

Tim

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
now why do i have the mental image of qole jumping out a airplane door?

Well, if you guys hadn't noticed, they're now doing free wifi on the plane and bluetooth has been approved for use for a while. All new planes have been cleared for use of wireless devices for several years now. But the airlines have been playing it safe simply because they were trying to figure out how to milk this new ability and didn't want people getting any ideas that they could do it on their own. Oh no, not if an airline can nickel and dime you to death by forcing you to use their service when there's plenty of other cheaper solutions.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Raiden: feel free to add that to the somewhat hostile comments on jk's blog post. I could use some more support

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ California
I knew it would come to this.
Attached Images

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
See, there is one thing I do not understand. If these electronic devices were SOO powerful and deadly to the poor airplane, then why are terrorists not using this?

Imagine the following scenario:

Terrorist: Everyone sit down! This is a hijacking!

Flight-Attendant: You can't take this plane down! I locked the cockpit!

Terrorist: You do not want me to use this...

Flight-Attendant: Wait...Oh god no!

Terrorist: Yes, my iPhone! With WiFi, and 3G, and Bluetooth!

Flight-Attendant: NOT BLUETOOTH! YOU WILL KILL US ALL!

Terrorist: MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
See, there is one thing I do not understand. If these electronic devices were SOO powerful and deadly to the poor airplane, then why are terrorists not using this?
Not really related to airline safety, but safety procedures in general: there is a risk estimate for every operation/device. Now, from an abusers perpective, threatening with a 1 in a 1000 chance of causing some damage is useless. On the other hand, considering the number of users and frequency of a service 1 in a 1000 might be a lot. Think about it this way - imagine shouting would have a 1 in a 1000 chance of activating an airbag mid-drive. Would you care if someone in your car threatened to shout if you didn't do what he wanted ? OTOH, that same risk would mean hundreds of spontaneous traffic accidents all around the world.

Disclaimer: Whether WiFi/BT interference is a real issue in airplanes, I have no idea, I'm really not famililar with airplane electronics/nav systems.