Active Topics

I don't know if this is just me, but some of the section titles at the top of every maemo.org page seem a bit unclear. Some are absolutely fine, but some are a bit deceptive to newcomers.

Just to go through them one by one...

Intro
Sounds like it contains: An introduction to the maemo software platform
Actual content: An introduction to the maemo development community

Downloads
Sounds like it contains: Maemo software downloads
Actual content: Maemo software downloads

Community
Sounds like it contains: Forum/message board
Actual content: Maemo documentation and useful links

Development
Sounds like it contains: Maemo developer tools and docs
Actual content: Maemo developer tools and docs

News
Sounds like it contains: News about the Maemo platform
Actual content: News about anything that a select group of bloggers feel like talking about, dominated by news about the Maemo platform

Talk
Sounds like it contains: Chat room
Actual content: Forum/message board

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Intro
Sounds like it contains: An introduction to the maemo software platform
Actual content: An introduction to the maemo development community
This introduction is old and will be updated (probably once maemo.nokia.com and Maemo @ Forum Nokia go live).

Community
Sounds like it contains: Forum/message board
Actual content: Maemo documentation and useful links
. . . and the mailing lists, IRC, News and links to Talk. The content needs some tweaking, but the title seems perfectly appropriate to me.

News
Sounds like it contains: News about the Maemo platform
Actual content: News about anything that a select group of bloggers feel like talking about, dominated by news about the Maemo platform
Um, I'm not sure I see what the problem is here. Yes, News includes the highly rated posts from Planet (and, well, Planet) these things are all News.

Really, I think you may be confusing the historical place of maemo.org with its place now. It's the home of the Maemo community, and so news from that community would seem appropriate to a News section on maemo.org, no? maemo.org is not the home of Maemo the software platform (platform announcements are filed under Announcements anyway). Arguably that's nokia.come

Talk
Sounds like it contains: Chat room
Actual content: Forum/message board
It was discussed rather extensively, and it's the name that was agreed upon. If a really good alternative proposal comes along, then it can be considered, but unless you have a proposal, there's little point in messing with it again so soon after the first name change has gained momentum.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-05-07 at 00:20. Reason: Removing extra end quote

If a really good alternative proposal (for Talk) comes along, then it can be considered,
Maybe this is just me, but usually sites have a link called "Forum" or "Message Boards"?

I'm not hugely bothered about any of this one way or another, but I thought it was worth at least raising and I couldn't find any existing threads about this. Just trying to improve the site. :-)

Maybe this is just me, but usually sites have a link called "Forum" or "Message Boards"?
Talk is more of a "brand" much like internet tablet Talk, and something of an evolution of it. "Forums" and "Message Boards" are not brands.

How about this as a compromise: keep the current section names, but put very brief descriptions under them?

For example Talk could have "Message Board" underneath it in small letters.

For example Talk could have "Message Board" underneath it in small letters.
Not only will that destroy the visual image the designer put together, but there's no way you're fitting message board under TALK in a legibly sized font.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Not only will that destroy the visual image the designer put together, but there's no way you're fitting message board under TALK in a legibly sized font.
Obviously you'd have to reformat a bit, but I think they could do with reformatting anyway because for example Downloads is almost three times bigger than Talk. That doesn't really make any sense from a usability point of view.

Obviously you'd have to reformat a bit, but I think they could do with reformatting anyway because for example Downloads is almost three times bigger than Talk. That doesn't really make any sense from a usability point of view.
Really, I think we just need to look at fixing up the content. The sections were discussed quite heavily on the mailing lists a few months ago during the earlier stages of the redesign. Trust me when I say a lot of thought when into them.

So what you're saying is, if something was discussed on the mailing lists then we should just put up and shut up?

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Not quite as in-your-face, but it could be done in the title tag of the link as well so that hovering over the link would say "Message Board."

Likewise, it could say "Forum" instead of "Message Board."

I'd have to see how it'd look in the design, though -- anyone's welcome to mock something up.

Tim