Active Topics

Notices

I managed to get pulseaudio working on my nokia n800 with reasonable performance. It's basically an Angstrom stable release with uclibc support. We will execute pulseaudio from inside the chroot env.

How it works:

The pulseaudio will create two esd sinks (with sample rate at 44.1k and 48k) connect to esd server on N8x0. No other method so far can achieve the same quality/experience. Hence you will need the lasted office firmware and installation will require 25MB free space.

Download the tar ball from

http://xbox-remote.googlecode.com/fi...dio-chroot.tgz

(scp) Copy it to the root's home folder, i.e. /root/

extract it in the same folder
Code:
tar xzf pulseaudio-chroot.tgz

copy the startup script to /etc/init.d/
Code:
cp ./pulseaudio-chroot/pulse-audio.sh /etc/init.d/
To run it, all you need to do is execute
Code:
/etc/init.d/pulse-audio.sh
Be aware of the latency, typical 0.5 s.

More to follow.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to s7mx1 For This Useful Post:
so how would the N900 overcome this latency?
also, I wish I had pulse audio in N8x0

The Following User Says Thank You to niv For This Useful Post:
Candid question : what does it bring ? What can you do with pulseaudio on a tablet ?...

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
There's a OMAP2 DSP plugin for PA, but it requires someone who knows their PA to forward port it to the newest Pulseaudio API (currently segfaults under Mer). Private message me if you think you're up for it.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2009-08-11 at 11:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Candid question : what does it bring ? What can you do with pulseaudio on a tablet ?...
I can think of two examples:
1. you pick up an incoming call (voip) , you hear the person on the device speakers. you then find you bluetooth headset, so you power it on. it then gets discovered by pulse and you send the audio to your headset. you also tell pulse to use your headset microphone instead of the built in microphone.

2. you come home , and want to send the audio from your headphones , to the stereo system in the living room. when you enter home, you get connected to the home wifi. then the stereo's upnp is discovered and offered as an audio out, you choose it and hear your music on the loudspeakers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to niv For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the examples ! I understand a little better now :-)

Haha I can't even get pulseaudio to work correctly in Ubuntu besides basic functionality.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...