http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/moblin-2.html

Dedoimedo takes a look at the new Moblin Linux.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
sure looks slick...

Let the flame war begin!...

Seriously, Moblin is targeting x86 platforms, and Atom in particular. It is not very relevant to the smaller ARM based devices.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
IMHO, Moblin targets netbooks where people expect 4 hour usage like on a laptop, not mobile devices you can have in your pocket all day and expect to be working when you take it out of your pocket.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

not that intel is not dropping hints that it wants to push atom closer towards smartphones...

do not forget that intel is cooperating with nokia on the ofono stack...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Does look slick, but a bit of a school boy error not being able to play mp3s

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Does look slick, but a bit of a school boy error not being able to play mp3s
heh, mp3 is a license nightmare. thats why distros like ubuntu do not ship with support out of the box (tho its easy for the user to install afterwards).

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
IMHO, Moblin targets netbooks where people expect 4 hour usage like on a laptop, not mobile devices you can have in your pocket all day and expect to be working when you take it out of your pocket.
It might be my battery, but on a heavy usage day, I'm getting less than 5 hours on my N810. And on a good day, I'm getting slightly less than 5 hours on my Core 2 Duo laptop.

Mind you... I'm not your typical user on either. I shut off and boot back up each time. NIT included. But Moblin... it has my attention.

I just wish it would support something I would buy.

Exactly its the low battery life that has been the major turning off point for me regarding these small laptops. Might get better with Intels replacement for Atom.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It might be my battery, but on a heavy usage day, I'm getting less than 5 hours on my N810. And on a good day, I'm getting slightly less than 5 hours on my Core 2 Duo laptop.
Oh, I do think Moblin has a purpose and I think they're awesome for what they target (I'm wondering a bit about their frameworks though - isn't it kinda like GTK + a widget set in same style as Hildon was?).

But the difference between a laptop and a N810. You can idle and still be connected to WiFi on a N810 for a long time and receive transmissions, while a Core 2 Duo it's always 5 hours, no matter what you do.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.