Notices

I used to have most of what I needed under 2005 SE. Since I've upgraded to 2006 SE I've been missing a couple things I used and I'm hoping they will be updated to work with the 2006 SE.
So I'm just curious: what apps are other people waiting for/hoping will be updated?

I really loved Sdict Viewer and Jpilot. I also appreciated Gnumeric although I rarely used it; it worked perfectly for me.

If I could get those, good keyboard support and maybe a version of Abiword that had some features and didn't crash, there'd be nothing else I'd want out of my 770.

Personally what I'd like to see is something that wasn't available for 2005 either : a true independent sip softphone that isn't tied to Google or Gizmo or whatever. Nokia has all the bits in its toolchest but...

A SIP phone would be great. A BT headset driver would be even better. A BT keyboard plugin that didn't have to be removed on occasion to install other apps (like the gizmo softphone). And above all else, a decent email application.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Abiword!!! Gnumeric!!! Working BT keyboard!!! A Usenet newsreader!!!

Ideally, I'd like to see SoftMaker port their excellent TextMaker (wordprocessor) and PlanMaker (spreadsheet) to the 770 platform, but they've already told me they won't do it (which is actually weird, as they have versions of their software for the Zaurus platform, which makes it almost trivial to port them to Maemo).

Come on Karel, you know that newsreader exists for 2006 :-)

Maybe SoftMaker had a bad experience with their Zaurus port (I don't recall them ever actually going commercial after their beta round ?) and that makes them wary of other platforms...

I only need Gnumeric for 2006 at the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to count zero For This Useful Post:
Apple: iSync support to sync iCal and a PIM application

Thanks,

BC

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by fpp
Come on Karel, you know that newsreader exists for 2006 :-)

Maybe SoftMaker had a bad experience with their Zaurus port (I don't recall them ever actually going commercial after their beta round ?) and that makes them wary of other platforms...
Pan appears to be not good enough. (yet, hopefully)

Re SoftMaker: even if that were the case, they still have generic Linux versions of all their office apps. Heck, they even continue to support the (as far as Microsoft is concerned) defunct Handheld PC platform. I think we just need to nag them sufficiently.

Seriously: if SoftMaker would be more cooperative, this office suite would be truly amazing for the platform-challenged. The different versions of their programs are exactly the same, not a mean feat in programming land. I've tried TextMaker on Windows, Linux and Windows CE.net 4.1 (Siemens SimPad): all versions are identical.

Let's see: A PIM with sync facilities. Gnumeric. Password Safe. Multi-format file viewer.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Java!

Yeah, I know it's a performance hog and I know there are other languages zealots will tout instead. But there are multiplatform apps that would look absolutely great on a 770 that are written in Java. And there's some nice functionality from Java that could be harnessed for the 770.

Jamvm would be good. It was working on OS 2005.

-F