Active Topics

I have been a n800 user for some time now and have not really had any problems with it . Yet, I have recently installed PC Linux on one of my machines
and now can't seam to connect to the computer. There is no error message it dose nothing. can anyone help. I ran a search here and in the faq on this site and have been trying for a few days now to find some info.
http://208.98.8.176:8000/listen

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California
You mean the PCLinuxOS distribution? Try asking on their forums. It should appear on the desktop when plugged in like any other USB drive (at least my 770 does with Kubuntu Linux). Do you have any other USB drives to test, like a usb sd card reader or usb flash drive?

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
There are many ways to connect your Nokia Internet Tablet to your Linux PC, just to mention the top 3:

USB: cable direct connect: (You should see your NIT as a storage device, much like a USB drive)

WiFi: You could access services on your Linux PC from your NIT via a local wireless (WiFi) network. For instance you could install OpenSSH on your Nokia Internet Tablet. Then open a terminal shell on the NIT and try to open an ssh connection to your linux computer.

Bluetooth: you could establish a Bluetooth radio connection between your NIT and your Linux PC and for instance: exchange files.

Each one of these types of connections requires some type of configuration (and requirements) either on the NIT, or on your Linux PC or most probably, on both.

If you could describe how you "connect" your NIT to your Linux PC and, what happens next (or not, or what you expected to happen). Then we all could have a better idea on how to guide you achieve that connectivity between your Nokia and your Linux PC.

I do have a Linux PC (Fedora distribution) and have total connectivity betwwen this machine and my Nokia N810.

Kind regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to febb For This Useful Post:
Thank your for the direction I failed to recognize the many ways to connect. I am trying to connect via usb cable to access and transfer files as I have with my Windows pc.
When I attach the cable nothing happens at all, the pc cant see the device and the device doesn't recognize the connection to the pc and displays no usb indicator.

I thought that it may be a problem with the pc usb yet i connect to my ipod and mouse fine. this pointed me to the cable it self and i tested it with a windows pc and could connect.

Again Iam sorry for the vagueness previously , and appreciate the help.

after connecting the device via USB run a:

Code:
dmesg | tail
on your linux pc... see if it says anything about /dev/sda, sdb, etc.

And make sure you haven't done one of the USB hacks to make the Tablet a USB Master instead of a Slave..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
thank you for your help , I ran the dmesg | tail in xterm and did not see anything about /dev/sda or anything like it.

yet today when i did plug in the n800 i founr that after updateing pidgon and kmplayer the n now displays the usb icon when connected .

Did you run that on the PC or on the Tablet?? What Distro are you using on the Desktop/PC? Do you know what window manager the PC is running, KDE/Gnome or something else? This all helps us know what kind of USB management stuff you might be working with on the Desktop.

Some distro's don't have the auto-mount and things for filesystems enabled.. meaning you have to manually run:
Code:
mount /dev/sdx1 /media/usb
or something similar.

I didn't see you confirm or deny the PCLinuxOS that Paul mentioned so I just wanted to double check...
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Thank you for the tips,
Understanding them is an undertaking yet I forge on.
I am running PClinuxOS with the KDE window manager.
I attempted to use the mount command and it asked me to specify the file system , from here iam at a loss.
The dmesg | tail turns up nothing

any help would be great
iam posting my gizmo if anyone wants to help out in more real time
it's dline3088
thank you

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Restart the N800 WITH it plugged into the computer. So plug in the USB, then switch on the N800. This will make sure the drives are not mounted on the tablet.

Also, does your PC work fine with normal flash drives? All modern Linux should, and because PCLinux is Debian based, it should probably mesh with the tablets well.

no acctuly the memory stick reader is not working.
I hadn't tested that yet , iam looking into this issue now