Active Topics

Ok. Heres the story. This whole thing started out with me looking for an mp3 player with video playback, so naturally i started looking at an ipod touch. but the rebel in my does not like the idea of having to conform and be limited to the use of itunes, not to mention the fact that there is next to no customization to them. second, after doing some browsing and reading some reviews and forums about the touch, i stumbled (or should i say was reminded) about internet tablets. this reminded me that an ipod is lacking a few key things that i would like in a device.

- format flexibility for vid and music
- PDA/organizer functions
- expansion and customization

now heres some info about me and what i would use such a device for the majority of the time. i work in the american wireless industry. in other words, i sell cellular telephones and pda's. i am very familiar with nokia's offerings in this field, and have always liked their products in general. the main things i am looking for are primarily a media device for video and sound, and secondly an organizer for contacts, schedules, and calander type stuff.

from the info i have, there are some characteristics i can factor out of my decision.

- i dont care about gps, as i have a great system readily available to me on my cell phone.
- storage capacity (internal or external) is also a moot point. its not too hard to get extra SD cards.
- skype, whoopity doo. again, got cell phones up the wazoo.

i guess the million dollar question is, would i make full use of an IT, or would i probably be better off getting a BlackBerry or some other sort of PDA/smartphone?

Feedback, anyone?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
PIM/organizer functions are the one thing you cant easily get with the N8x0. there are half-baked solutions and workarounds, but there's nothing that just works out of the box.

expansion+customization is what you get.

format flexibility: yes, but you pay the usual price: you'll need to know what the N8x0 can play and probably will spend a lot of time re-encoding because there's no such thing as the video format for the N8x0. (you know: it says it plays codec A, but only with a max bitrate of B and resolution must not be above CxD and no, you can't have it in container E, you need F or G... freedom of choice requires knowledge.)

I'd not recommend the device to somebody who really wants the PIM functionality.
I do think it makes a great multimedia player once you know what formats it supports.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Short, good summary by benny1967..

The way I use it is that it makes me leave the laptop behind. I do most of my emailing and things through my N800. And for mapping and internet browsing. I use my Palm for calendar stuff.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
and pim is close...
gpe-calendar + erminig (for sync) + google calendar works close to flawless
and erminig should come with contacts sync - soon....

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I'm would agree I'm not sure if tablet is best thing for you mcalendar does an ok job for Calendar and mcontacts is coming out soon. So Pim is getting better. Personally I don't even use the tablet as my main music player yes it has a good sized screen for video but for music I have 28GBs of music on my Ipod so that is what I use, heck even for gaming I normally pull out my DS. Don't get me wrong I use my tablet for about 4 hours a day just not as music player.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Well, to me you sound like a great potential tablet user -- smart and flexible and interested in the fast-moving environment that the tablet has become.

It sounds to me like you can expect good tries for all the things you want and have a lot of fun in the bargain. If I were you, I wouldn't pass it up. But then again, I didn't.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
"is an IT right for me?"

No.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Boom - didn't see that one coming Karel

The Following User Says Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Looks like what you need is the "next gen IT", the "N900" as we call it here in itT.

If you don't need web browsing, you'd better buy an Nseries phone, it would fit better to your needs.