Poll: Does itT Need Forum Mods.
Poll Options
Does itT Need Forum Mods.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Who else thinks Reggie needs to make a couple people forum moderator so they can keep the forums on topic and make the search/forums more usable?

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
I think it's ultimately up to Reggie to decide what/who/when... but keep in mind, it's not just a matter of changing the access level of a couple of folks, and hoping they "do the right thing": Moderation is a skillset, like anything else... and sometimes "moderators" do more harm than good. Just randomly tossing out moderator hats to a few folks is not going to help the problem.

Originally Posted by briand View Post
I think it's ultimately up to Reggie to decide what/who/when... but keep in mind, it's not just a matter of changing the access level of a couple of folks, and hoping they "do the right thing": Moderation is a skillset, like anything else... and sometimes "moderators" do more harm than good. Just randomly tossing out moderator hats to a few folks is not going to help the problem.
I'm not saying Reggie should just toss hats to people but forums moderation is not rocket science heck even my mom moderates a forum. I just know that this forum is getting crasy about spinning one topic off into about half a dozen and then people want new people to search for help if the old timers can't keep the forums straight then someone needs to.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
I'm not in disagreement with you, andrew.

As a classically trained "rocket scientist", I will agree with your analogy.

I would also point out that (as I was saying, above) not everybody (and certainly not the "popular people who always post a lot") is cut out to be a moderator. There is a specific set of attributes that make good (or great) moderators (and age, maternity, and internet acumen aren't even factors, despite your mother's position. ), and these are rarely thought about or looked for when moderators are selected...

The more moderators you add, the more there will be potential for conflicts and repression. So, my answer is no.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Reggie has more than enough people to tap if he wishes. When he wants to offload the task of moderation he will ask people.

So unless there is a problem with the status quo, a say no.

Originally Posted by briand View Post
I'm not in disagreement with you, andrew.

As a classically trained "rocket scientist", I will agree with your analogy.

I would also point out that (as I was saying, above) not everybody (and certainly not the "popular people who always post a lot") is cut out to be a moderator. There is a specific set of attributes that make good (or great) moderators (and age, maternity, and internet acumen aren't even factors, despite your mother's position. ), and these are rarely thought about or looked for when moderators are selected...
I agree with the fact that alot of out top posters would not make great mods since they are making alot of the problems. Also I'm not hating on Rocket Scientist.

Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Reggie has more than enough people to tap if he wishes. When he wants to offload the task of moderation he will ask people.

So unless there is a problem with the status quo, a say no.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22578

is a great example of a problem, this thread started off as a discussion about new Tablet Scene Site and for that last few pages it has been about the itT Wiki and the Maemo Wiki. What does that have to do with Tablet Scene. I'm not talking about about Reggie he have talked alot I even did the new Theme for him there are hundreds of examples like that one.

Edit: Also to the people who say we don't need moderators, are you saying you don't think we need to have the forums fixed or we just don't need anyone besides Reggie to do it? Because if we are not going to keep post on topic I'm just going to start naming all my Post "Hey Whats up." J/K

Last edited by andrewfblack; 2008-08-11 at 19:45.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22578

is a great example of a problem, this thread started off as a discussion about new Tablet Scene Site and for that last few pages it has been about the itT Wiki and the Maemo Wiki. What does that have to do with Tablet Scene. I'm not talking about about Reggie he have talked alot I even did the new Theme for him there are hundreds of examples like that one.
Yes the topic has veered, but only because they are all talking about where common knowledge resides and how best to get and keep new people in the community.

EDIT: and that's kinda the point. Forums are horrible places to catalog information. Wiki's do a better job of handling long term information, but only when you have a critical mass of editors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
I don't think moderators are required to direct a thread, if people go off topic then hopefully a simple reminder will push them back on topic/make them start a new thread.

Mods are more useful for deleting spam, moving posts in the wrong part of the forum, etc. At least that was my experience of oesf.org

Tags
forum moderat, forum problem